SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: which boat design do you like batter?
three masted 5 100.00%
four masted 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 01, 2006, 11:46 AM
Joined Jun 2006
30 Posts
Poll
scratch build own design

ive built plastic model kits but now i want to build a wooden one. ive designed it myself and am now looking for a book on building a wooden model for the first time. any suggestions?. id also appreciate any advice on the design. im not sure if this will be rc it depends on how well it turns out. i am planning on making it using ribs and then sheeting with balsa and then fiberglasssing.

i was thinking this would be a good book
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...e=UTF8&s=books

hmm, seems i cant post my drawing do to site errors oh well ill try again later

EDIT:Ive added a poll to speed things along, here are the choices

three masted
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/...disign2boh8.jpg

four masted
http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/...redisignmc3.jpg
GOJIRADOR is offline Find More Posts by GOJIRADOR
Last edited by GOJIRADOR; Aug 10, 2006 at 12:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2006, 11:52 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,271 Posts
Consider joining AMYA (American Model Yacht Association)

While membership isn't "required" your financial support certainly helps. Go to their website and visit the US 1 Meter Class page. They have a PDF (downloadable) construction hints and tips that will answer at least 99.9% of your construction, rigging and sailing questions. Most info will work with any size boat - monohull or multihull!

If you like what you see - show your support by becoming a member. It's a good thing to do !
Link: AMYA US1M Construction
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2006
30 Posts
ill have to use imageshack

sheesh that literally took an hour to upload
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6...enscan2iv0.jpg
Last edited by GOJIRADOR; Aug 02, 2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2006, 03:37 PM
AMYA Footy ClassSecretary
Joined Jun 2006
99 Posts
Gojirador, I think that book would be fine for static models, but maybe not best for sailing models. Dick's suggestion is right on target for you. Another source is Earl's vintage boat site. Plans are available for free-sailing or R/C boats, and books on building planked models are available, too. Look it up at www.swcp.com/usvmyg/

Bill H
mudhenk27 is offline Find More Posts by mudhenk27
Old Aug 02, 2006, 04:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
30 Posts
although dicks is very good reference aswell as yours i still want a book. do u have any suggestions?
Old Aug 02, 2006, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
GOZ, The most documented AMYA class is the EC12. If you want the info on the 2 most prominent books just respond on this site and I'll provide the particulars. Also, AMYA publishes a quarterly, "Model Yachting." Issue #130 was titled, "Getting Started." In addition, each quarterly is dedicated to one of the AMYA classes. You may want to contact them to see if a back issue is available close to your particular size boat. "The Complete Marine Radio Control Manual", by Hugh Bright covers the electronics, but is primarily dedicated to power.
ooby is offline Find More Posts by ooby
Old Aug 02, 2006, 10:32 PM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
GOZ, another thought...if you researched text books of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering published prior to the CAD era, you'll find a chapter on building models to scale...so says my neighbor who holds graduate degrees in both disciplines.
ooby is offline Find More Posts by ooby
Old Aug 03, 2006, 08:56 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,271 Posts
Chris Jackson has published several well put-together books on r/c sailing - and racing that cover several classes. There is also a nice book out - although it deals with the EC12. See AMYA Ship's Store. If you joined AMYA (??? - $25/yr) you would also get 4 quarterly magazines dealing with a different class each issue. HINT !

Look to Traplet Publications and order Chris' book through them (U.K. and USA)
Old Aug 04, 2006, 10:43 AM
Joined Jun 2006
30 Posts
ec12 is actually around the size i was looking for so... i however will not be joining amya or a local club because i am not interested in making this a hobby i just wanted to build the boat i designed and figured i might aswell put radio gear in it.

although i appreciate the help with finding proper reading material i am dieing to know what u think of my design specifacally any flaws or problems, thank you
Old Aug 04, 2006, 03:22 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,271 Posts
Just my personal point of view here - I am having trouble trying to figure out what you want it to be?

1. It has the general shape of an old schooner.
2. But is has lanteen rig of something from perhaps South Pacific or Middle East (the Nile River type boats)
3. and then it get's me weirded-out that there are portholes - but also rectangular "modern" windows.
4. Seems to just have too much sail for the size it looks to be.

I think there is just too much "design stuff" going on and I prefer less "busy" looking boats. Again, only my opinion - but since you asked.
Old Aug 04, 2006, 07:24 PM
Joined Jun 2006
99 Posts
Gojirador, it's difficult to express an opinion without sounding too judgemental, but here goes.

I agree with Dick that it appears overly complex, so here's a couple of suggestions:

a. Maybe it would be good to restrict yourself to a schooner...multiple masts are tricky to deal with.

b. Your drawing shows some lack of understanding of hull design...I highly suggest that you find an existing plan for a schooner hull that you like and build to the plan. The interaction of all the factors that allow a hull to sail well is enough to drive you crazy (at least it sometimes does that to me) so go with something you know will work.

c. Use any type of rig you like, but keep the sail area in the range of what the plan specified.

d. Go ahead and be creative above the water line. Stepped decks, cabins, windows, portholes...whatever you like. That stuff won't jeopardize the boat's ability to sail unless you stack it up so high it drastically alters the center of gravity.

e. Don't get so ambitious that you lose interest before the project is done.

Good luck.......Bill H

Hey.....did you consider making a Footy????
Old Aug 05, 2006, 12:49 PM
Joined Jun 2006
30 Posts
dont hold back, frankly i dont know a thing about sailing designs so i just drew something i liked the look of knowing that u guys would have problems with it in the hope that i could create something pleasing to me and practical. however it seems u guys are trying to point in the direction of some one who is interested in making this a hobby, i am not that person my goal is to design somethig practical out of my original design and then build it...thats it nothing from there.

i have not designed this specific to any region or individual ship

ok so now thats cleared i can start my first corrections
1.sails to big. do u think the sails are to far forward on the masts?
2.hull impractical. whats impractical about it please be specific

i really appreciate all the help, lets keep things rolling
Old Aug 05, 2006, 03:40 PM
Joined Jun 2006
99 Posts
Gojirador, we want to help, but you're just asking too much...your request is just too broad. Boat design is a very complex topic. If you don't intend to sail the boat, build whatever pleases you. If you want it to sail, please study the references. Once you've learned more about the basics of sailboat design and studied the designs of others, then you'll be ready to go your own way, and we can better help you.

Bill H
Old Aug 06, 2006, 12:24 AM
Joined Jun 2006
30 Posts
sounds fair
Old Aug 09, 2006, 11:17 AM
Joined Jun 2006
30 Posts
i did some thinking and realized that i am over complicating things, it doesnt have to be the best sailor or even a good one im building purely for the fun of building and to see my ideas come alive. so with out further adue here are my final designs, which one do u like i am leaning towards the three masted one. have any pressing concerns? share them. the first mast will have a rope leading to the deck to aleaviate some of the stress of the triangle sails

three masted
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3...isign2boh8.jpg

four masted
http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/4...edisignmc3.jpg
Last edited by GOJIRADOR; Aug 13, 2006 at 05:36 PM.