SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Aio_1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:13 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Gareau View Post
Here is a plan for the Wametsey, the plane I design last winter and flew for most of the winter. Those who are competition flyers may think it is a little simplistic for them but I am kind of proud of it. I think less is more so I purposely did away with as much as I could to keep the weight down. The plane flys uite well and I hope that if anybody decides to build it they will let this group know what they think about the way it flies. Mine usually weight between 115g and 120g ready to fly. I prefer 2s 180mah with a e-flite park 250 and a GWS 8 X 4.3. I get a solid 4 minute flight out of this set up.
I scaled down your plans to a ~20" wing (62.5%), I'm making it out of 2mm depron totally cut out (not milled), to be covered with as light of a plastic film as I can find.

Not too far long yet, but the fuselage half relief cut is at 5g, I'm hoping for a total airframe weight of about 10g. It'll be using the electronics from my um 4-site. The stripped down 4-site airframe is almost 15g, so I figure the extra area - 5g of weight should make it a real floater! I should be in the 35g with battery ballpark, maybe a bit less.

I'll post up more info (and plans) once I get it finished and fly it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:34 PM
Assistant Pitman's Helper
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I scaled down your plans to a ~20" wing (62.5%), I'm making it out of 2mm depron totally cut out (not milled), to be covered with as light of a plastic film as I can find.

Not too far long yet, but the fuselage half relief cut is at 5g, I'm hoping for a total airframe weight of about 10g. It'll be using the electronics from my um 4-site. The stripped down 4-site airframe is almost 15g, so I figure the extra area - 5g of weight should make it a real floater! I should be in the 35g with battery ballpark, maybe a bit less.

I'll post up more info (and plans) once I get it finished and fly it.
Yes please keep us posted, I hope it works out good for you

Richard
R.Gareau is offline Find More Posts by R.Gareau
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tradition
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
All the parts are cut out now, total weight with all electronics, a full length of 1mm carbon rod and battery (unassembled and uncovered) is 31g. I'm really hoping to keep it in the 32-34g range 100% done and ready to fly, it should be a real floater at that weight and still be lighter than the 4-site so it'll have plenty of power for hovering and vertical acceleration.

I weighed just the cut out pieces and it saved a total of 8g alone, almost half the weight of the un relief cut airframe!

I'm hoping to get the control surface bevels cut tomorrow, as well as finalize the covering choice (tissue or cling wrap?) and get it all together over the weekend.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:54 PM
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
[QUOTE=wparsons;19964287]All the parts are cut out now, total weight with all electronics, a full length of 1mm carbon rod and battery (unassembled and uncovered) is 31g. I'm really hoping to keep it in the 32-34g range 100% done

If you can get your hands on thinner CF rods feel free to use them, I only use the 1mm for the wing braces, the fuselage I usually use .7mm and .5 on the tail feathers.

Richard
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:51 AM
Joined Apr 2007
5 Posts
Here are a cuple of pictures of my Afriel, just plain 2mm depron, and using brushless Spektrum brick and AP05, weight without battery came out at 43 grams, and 54 grams with a 120 battery.
No problems with the gear in flight so far, very floaty as you would expect and plenty of power, just the right size for the space i fly in.
Oh yes, and thats what happens when you give your 8 year old daughter some perminent markers and say "hey, decorate my new plane"
Thanks for the share Andy.
AndyHogg is offline Find More Posts by AndyHogg
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:31 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Index 4 Plan

Is there a tiled plan available for this plane ?

Richard
Dicky Mint is offline Find More Posts by Dicky Mint
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:07 PM
http://roys-rc-tv.webs.com/
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Oct 2005
455 Posts
Nice to see another Afriel Andy, I've just today finished my 500mm one (Thanks Mike for the foam parts).
49g AUW with an AP05 motor, 120mA 2s batt, & 4 site gear.
The only thing I dont know is the CofG I guess its going to be about 130 to 140 mm from the front. I hope to test fly it this weekend.
Basingstoke Roy is offline Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:31 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,075 Posts
I don't know the CG (don't have a 500mm one) but it will be a percentage of the full sized one. Full sized CG is 210-230mm and has a span of 880mm. So the 500mm span model should be 500/880 x 210 (or 230). This makes the CG 119-130 measured from the nose.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 02:11 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,945 Posts
Here's my latest Afriel Evo along side its little brother the mini Tabbris

Both of these were painted for me by Gary Holland
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:49 PM
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
Here's my latest Afriel Evo along side its little brother the mini Tabbris

Both of these were painted for me by Gary Holland
Those are trully beautiful
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:55 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,671 Posts
One day I'll learn to put together a plane nice enough to ask someone to paint it to look that good. Until then, permanent marker will do, lol.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:54 PM
http://roys-rc-tv.webs.com/
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Oct 2005
455 Posts
Gary sure can use an air brush.
O to learn how to be half that good.
Basingstoke Roy is offline Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Gareau View Post
If you can get your hands on thinner CF rods feel free to use them, I only use the 1mm for the wing braces, the fuselage I usually use .7mm and .5 on the tail feathers.

Richard
The thinnest rod I can get locally is 1mm, but I really only need reinforcements on the wing, the tail is stiff enough without it.

Unfortunately, I'm not that great at building light. The complete airframe is 16g with pushrods but no electronics. It'll likely come out to the same weight as the 4site was, but with a substantially larger wing area. I'm hoping it still has decent vertical, and I know it'll be a floater.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:52 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Quote:
The thinnest rod I can get locally is 1mm, but I really only need reinforcements on the wing, the tail is stiff enough without it.

Unfortunately, I'm not that great at building light. The complete airframe is 16g with pushrods but no electronics. It'll likely come out to the same weight as the 4site was, but with a substantially larger wing area. I'm hoping it still has decent vertical, and I know it'll be a floater.
All up weight 100% RTF is 41g, about 10g heavier than I was hoping for, but only 5g heavier than I figured it would end up at. Little test glides in the living room put the power off glide at about the same as a vapor, and it has the power to hover easily on the stock prop. I plan to fly it on a 5043, but want to see how it does on the stock prop to compare it to the stock 4site setup.

I added about 6g for the covering, so with some proper mylar and practice I should be able to shed a few grams off it yet.

Hopefully I'll get a flight or two in after work tomorrow. If it flies well, I'll post up the plans!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:46 PM
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
Very Cool!!

You can remove the air brakes and the airbrake suports from the rudder, even on the full size one I dont use it anymore.

Congrats it looks great!

Richard

Quote:
All up weight 100% RTF is 41g, about 10g heavier than I was hoping for, but only 5g heavier than I figured it would end up at. Little test glides in the living room put the power off glide at about the same as a vapor, and it has the power to hover easily on the stock prop. I plan to fly it on a 5043, but want to see how it does on the stock prop to compare it to the stock 4site setup.

I added about 6g for the covering, so with some proper mylar and practice I should be able to shed a few grams off it yet.

Hopefully I'll get a flight or two in after work tomorrow. If it flies well, I'll post up the plans!
RCG Plus Member