HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Aio_1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:26 PM
Arleta, California
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
What power setup should I use for the index 2.2? I can't decide if I should use a higher kv motor with a 2 cell or a lower kv motor with a three cell. Also what kind of propellers do you guys use SF or DD?
Jimmy Yucca is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Yucca
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:05 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Yucca View Post
What power setup should I use for the index 2.2? I can't decide if I should use a higher kv motor with a 2 cell or a lower kv motor with a three cell. Also what kind of propellers do you guys use SF or DD?
You might want to review the Index 2 thread for ideas

I have flown the Index 2.2 and the Index 3. I use a Hacker A10-15S with a GWS 8x4.3 prop and 350mAH batteries. I am very pleased with this combination.

While I like both planes, I think the Index 3 flies better than the Index 2.2.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:01 PM
Arleta, California
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
Thanks for the help Ray. Are you running a 2 cell or 3 cell 350 on the Index 3?
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:58 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Yucca View Post
Thanks for the help Ray. Are you running a 2 cell or 3 cell 350 on the Index 3?
I'm running a 2 cell. I don't think the A10-15S will handle 3 cells.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:24 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Hi Jimmy,

I'd agree with Ray. 2 cells on a motor like the Hacker A10-15s works well.
I don't think 3s has any real advantages for these planes.
2s has a few advantages I can think of:
  • more suitable motors to choose from
  • more cell options without ending up overweight (3s would have to be 250mAh or less to stay on target)
  • Typically Cheaper packs with 2 cells rather than 3
  • can use direct 2s voltage to some servos for additional speed and torque

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:36 AM
Joined Nov 2004
241 Posts
I am 2S fan too, even on higher cellings.

By the way, I have build my first serious F3P. It is Cirrus' inspired, a little different on wing, devices and stucture but Cirrus' inspired 142g with Rhino 360 2S.
The model uses Nano Cyclon motor prototype I bought on early 2006 in the USA, I think they changed thinks a little as my motor draws a bit more Amp than it should (2.2A average for F3P sequence) and has not the same pull as the new ones. More pictures here: http://aeromodelando.blogspot.com/search/label/F3P sorry for the text in portuguese...
Alexandre Cruz is offline Find More Posts by Alexandre Cruz
Old Mar 06, 2010, 05:24 PM
Arleta, California
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
I was thinking of using one of these two motors on a 2 cell 360. Which one do you guys think is better for the Index 3?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...50kv_%2815g%29

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...00kv_%2814g%29
Old Mar 06, 2010, 05:55 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,712 Posts
I would try this one, poor man's AXI 2203:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._19g_Outrunner

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:27 PM
Joined Nov 2004
241 Posts
Excelent motor for the money. I use on my 3D model, good pull, draws little amps but 5g heavier than I would like it to be. Maybe this 5g (and of course other parameters) costs the difference betwen a Neu and the chinese one...
Alexandre Cruz is offline Find More Posts by Alexandre Cruz
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:51 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
Hi Jimmy,

I'd stay away from the two motors you show on your post. I tried the 2024 from the same series and it wasn't as powerful as the specs lead me to believe. It was adequate for the Osiris/Deluxe V3 hybrid I had it on, but it was only a couple of grams lighter than a stock 2204-14T and had far less power. You also have to make some thin rings to go into the GWS prop hubs to make them fit properly. The 2204-14T is a great motor for the price and will take your Index vertical with ease. It really is a poor mans Axi 2203 as the previous post said. My 2204's have taken some big hits from vertical crashes and so far have not been damaged. You can save a couple grams by lightening the motor face and replacing the steel shaft with carbon tube. You only save about 2 grams. This photo is of one I modified in my cnc mill, but you could do a similar job with careful use of a Dremel. You can find many motors lighter than the Turnigy 2204-14T, but they'll typically cost 3 - 6 times as much. I like my more expensive, lighter weight and better quality motors, but I rarely risk them in models where I'll be learning new maneuvers. I'd much rather take a chance of crashing a $10 usd motor than a $60 usd one. I build copies of my F3P kits to practice with before I fly the models from kits. It makes my kit models last a lot longer.

Michael
EnzoFalconi is online now Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:31 PM
Joined Oct 2009
20 Posts
hi i'm kinda new to posting but have been lurking around the forum so I am wondering if anybody has built the snoopylution and how you did it cause the calypso has tabs and I don't know if it is a must for bracing or not to be interlocking or just glued on the surface
mat subway is offline Find More Posts by mat subway
Last edited by mat subway; Mar 07, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:57 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,231 Posts
Here is my micro version of the 6th Version 4. 14" span with AR6400L and 2 aileron servos as well as APO5 brushless motor and Thunder Bird 6 with 2s 240mah 20C batt. 50g AUW.
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:00 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
here's my first ever F3P foamie build.

morback micro:

fuse length: 17 inch
wing span :16.5 inch
airframe weight: 20 grams

i sued the morback 32 inch plan and resized via printer. cut and made from 4mm foamboard, still midway into build.
TamiyaCowboy is offline Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:35 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,231 Posts
Great! I am going to do the 4-D mid engine version of the morback once I am done with my bipe. I started a thread for doing a micro variable pitch prop. Are you going to use an AR6400? What gear?
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:06 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Great! I am going to do the 4-D mid engine version of the morback once I am done with my bipe. I started a thread for doing a micro variable pitch prop. Are you going to use an AR6400? What gear?
i dont know to be very honest. i built plane thinking old AeroAce parts will work but coming in at 22.0 grams and thrust from motors at 10.6 gram, i can see the morback just gliding and not flying.

i looked on internet and noticed a picooz 6mm motor running stock gearing and main rotor @3.7v will produce 14+ gram thrust.

at this time i am looking to maybe koyosho/ITC/PZ power systems. whatever comes my way cheapest.
TamiyaCowboy is offline Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy