HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2006, 05:18 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Discussion
Have you published any build articals...

I am curious. Have you had any of your self-designed planes published in any R/C related magazines? I've been reading these a lot the past months and come across these on occasion. And I see some folks here doing the same thing. Well, why not send one of your designs in to be published?
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2006, 06:05 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Rusty , in case you haven't noticed , the RC related magazines are about selling advertising space and glowing reviews of said advertised items .....They don't like us CHEEPIE Foamie guys , because their advertisers make no money, so you'll rarely see a Foamie in a mag ...and they have a stable of predictable authors , so you see the same people over and over again ... yada yada yada, fun to build and fly .... SIMPLE !!!!

I've had two models published in an ex mag ... Model Builder... they published planes for the love of planes , not the love of money ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 02, 2006, 07:08 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
GPW ... I know exactly what you are saying. I've noticed this, too. They're doing articals mostly of their advertiser's planes, which is one of the reasons I asked if they published designes from other people. I think you might be one of the "cartoon fatty" people from Foam Fly or something like this. It would indeed be nice to see something from smaller manufacturers who don't do full page adds. the "cartoon fatties" are some of the neatest designs I've come across (I even did a few myself, but still on the see-if-it-works-stage). I tend to think they may make more sales if they do articals of planes that other people create, rather then just from the "big guys".
"ex mag" does this mean Model Builder is not in business any more? (I work night shift, and have plenty of reading time, so I've subscribed to various r/c magazines to help pass the time. I'm always looking for others I've never heard about. I also read here a lot, too. I've been inspired to do some planes from some folks here, too.) Thank you fro responding.
Old Aug 02, 2006, 07:21 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
MB died years ago ... sniff !!!
Most of the plans published (especially the parkflyer types) are extremely complicated builds ... way beyond a beginners skill and confidence level ...This promotes the selling of ARF's ..by the advertisers ...between the ads and ad reviews, the magazines amount to nothing more than a catalogue , which should be given away ... I still find FM informative ...
When I first got back into this aspect of the hobby (2000'), I sent many E-mails to all the mags telling them of my abundance of plans and ideas .... answers/replies came there NONE!!!!
Old Aug 02, 2006, 07:27 AM
Lake In The Hills, Il
Joined Jun 2005
359 Posts
"I think you might be one of the "cartoon fatty" people from Foam Fly"
LMAO
Sorry GPW... Just struck my funny bone!
And before I even had any coffee
windy city
windy city is offline Find More Posts by windy city
Old Aug 02, 2006, 07:48 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
ANother 'ex-mag' was RC Microflight... more of a newsletter, but full of good stuff. Quiet Flyer and FlyRC are my current favorites... None of them can keep up with Ezone and RCgroups, though... We move too fast
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 02, 2006, 08:31 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Cartoon Fatty People

The official Cartoon Fatty People are "Hippo" and "Vyceroy". They both have other designs, but Hippo has designed most of the planes that FoamFly sells, Hippo correct me if I'm wrong and you read this. GPW has plans posted there in the archives as do several other members of the foamies group.
I am working on the P-47, My second one, the FoamFly Frog and the Staggerwing right now. All three great planes . But, I think you are correct. Too much advertising not enough honesty. (pictures of me, Hippo and Vyceroy at the SEFF this past year..attached.)

Since today's information seems to come to us mostly through the computer, or the television, maybe we could choose several people to have "Blogs" that would officially review new designs. It should actually be cheap enough to just have a web page hosted by another party which could act like an online magazine for build and fly articles / reviews. I'd be willing to look into it...
We could have the only advertiser be Dow and maybe Elmers...LOL

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by UBILDIT; Aug 02, 2006 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Add a Picture
Old Aug 02, 2006, 11:46 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
871 Posts
My goodness.....Model Builder magazine........ one of the best or the best model magazine ever. They had exceptional construction articles! Two of my favorite builds were the electric beaver and pilatus porter. Still have the plans I think. Would be neat planes on todays motors!
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Aug 02, 2006, 12:25 PM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Rusty , in case you haven't noticed , the RC related magazines are about selling advertising space and glowing reviews of said advertised items .....They don't like us CHEEPIE Foamie guys , because their advertisers make no money, so you'll rarely see a Foamie in a mag ...and they have a stable of predictable authors , so you see the same people over and over again ... yada yada yada, fun to build and fly .... SIMPLE !!!!

I've had two models published in an ex mag ... Model Builder... they published planes for the love of planes , not the love of money ...
GPW, you're right about that! Fly RC featured ONE FFF design (Actually twice, with improvements) and that's only because it was done by a famous old timer whose family they LOVE to feature. Sometimes it's hard to tell the articles from the ads.

Flying Models is a lot more about cheap designs but it seems they're behind the curve when it comes to foamies. Or maybe they just prefer balsa.

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Old Aug 02, 2006, 12:42 PM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
Not all is lost. I had a design published in Radio Controlled Soaring Digest (March 2006). It truly is a magazine by modelers for modelers mostly about sailplanes and flying wings. it was a foam/tape wing with balsa/FG fuse.

if you arent familiar with the publication, you can read all issues online in PDF format. they dont want to keep very useful information out of the reach of anyone who can use it. here is the link...

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/

wingnutt
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt
Old Aug 03, 2006, 06:13 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Thanks for the responces, flyers.
UBuildit... thanks for correcting me. I did see GPW's plans there, but figured wrong about himbeing Hippo or Vyceroy. Sorry about the confusion.
Gene... I subscribe to both Quiet flyer and Fly RC (along with MAN, Backyard Flyer, and i thought 3D Flyer, but it hasn't started yet I guess) I intend to subscribe to RC Modeler one of these days. And any other recommended by you folks.
Of course, to be honest, I have learned way more here then all the other things combined. (Gene Bond made my planes fly correctly, with the info he shared. I'm forever greatful.)
Old Aug 03, 2006, 06:56 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
who needs magazines, when you have so many countless articles written right here?

althout, it is kinda tough to bring the computer into the mens room at work
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Aug 03, 2006, 07:54 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
The internet and RC Groups has made the mags OBSOLETO'.... a waste of a good tree that could help cool the planet ...What happens is, once we spend our 6 bucks + and find nothing exciting or revealing ,eventually gets tossed into an incinerator , thereby adding to the problem ...

and some of the publishers are not so modeller friendly ... After Katrina we were not able to recieve mail and especially magazines ... E-mailed QF about my subscription , they said ..."tough luck ".... I missed out , even though I paid for it ... we won't EVER be buying that rag anymore ... besides , it had also become a paid review mag for the biggies anyway($) ...and a few little girls in training bras on the covers never made me buy an airplane mag before anyway ... hahahahaha
Old Aug 03, 2006, 09:55 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Not a Correction

Rusy-Gunn,
I hope you don't think I was trying to correct you. I try never to correct anyone when I need so much correction myself. . I just saw an opportunity to do something stupid and funny while hopefully being informative. I'll leave the correcting up to Jurgen H.

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Aug 04, 2006, 05:45 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
UBILDIT... no harm done.
I do agree I've learned quite a bit more here then all the magazine reading I've done combined, and I'll keep reading here for a long time to come. This place is rich.
The main reason I don't mind subscribing to various magazines is the enjoyment of them and especially to pass the time away (I work night shift, with a bit of free time to read). I do agree thems just advertisments disguised at articals, but I don't mind reading them anyway.