HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:47 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Build Log
Small tug for the girl

My wife has gotten the boating bug, and has asked for a boat of her own. After a few questions about what she'd like I was happy to hear that a new work boat would join the fleet.
I had layed up a glass hull for an old friend after he kept increasing the depth of his tug. Every few months his tug got another 3/8 inch of freeboard. Pretty soon all the styrene couldn't hold up to the stress of contacts and day to day. He stripped it down, gave it yet another 3/8 increase, and handed it over to me. Little wax, little glass, and a mold was born. Hulls 1 and 2 went to him. Hull 3 went to another friend of mine, and hull 4 was popped out and went straight to the building board for my wife. I've lost some of the early pictures..but can pick up pretty early here. This picture shows the running gear layed out and ready for install. Single screw, kort nozzle. Fun little surplus 12 volt motor and a honking big coupler. LOL thinking of a large flywheel effect here.
Boatfox is offline Find More Posts by Boatfox
Last edited by Boatfox; Sep 15, 2006 at 09:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:52 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Everything mounted in. Looks like a good little pusher. The motor/prop combo should give about 3 lbs thrust with 1 - 1 1/2 amp draw. 5 screws and the skeg drops off allowing for service to the shaft or kort nozzle.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:59 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Forgot the darn specs....
Length 14"
Beam 5"
depth how deep you want? planning on 3 1/2 to 4"
Epoxy glass..very thick layup with strengthened rails, bow and stern. Did I mention this will be my wifes first boat?
I also forgot to show how much of the original underbody got cut away to allow for the nozzle.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 12:12 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Original turning of the nozzle gave me about 45` either side of straight. Tha might not be enough in a tight situation, so I cut away little notches in the nozzle to allow for 65` either side. The plan will be to turn a small round disk for the steering shaft and connect that to the servo with wire and a spring. Works fin in a few other models, and depending on the diameter you can get quite the throw. Before and after pics. This might actually turn it into water brakes with that amount of throw.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 12:20 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Getting the inner rail to mount the deck would be tough...tight curves and a gentle sweep fore to aft. I tested some 3/8 basswood soaked in hot HOT water. It snapped. Time for plan B. 3/8 wide by 3/32 thick basswood strips soaked. They made the bend and sweep. I laminated them with poly glue. The planks were already wet so it worked out fine. Overlapped the ends at the bow and stern. Gonna have plenty of meat on this one. Who says you have enough clamps???
Old Aug 01, 2006, 12:23 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Trimmed off the extra flashing from the top rail. and started to add in the deck beams. Nice camber with the laminating routine.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 12:28 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Deck house ideas....going to modify a twin screw pilot house. Should look good. I'm building to looks good scale, so that should add to my fun. The mock up looks good, so time to dig in and finish those decks.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 12:32 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Float test with the most likely gear tossed in. Mini servo, 2 6 volt 3 AH batteries, vantec speed control, etc...
She still sits high in the water, but below decks is getting crowded. I would have flipped the motor on the shaft and put the batteries up forward had I thought about it, but its glued tight now. Made up a voltage regulator for the Rx and servo. No need to waste space on another battery pack.

All caught up to date on this one. Time to quit playing boats and contiue building them.
Last edited by Boatfox; Aug 01, 2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 09:03 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
looks like a nice little hull. Would there be any way of aquiring one of these? Please let me know either way. PM me or E-mail at massey.marine@cox.net

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Aug 01, 2006, 10:05 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
You got mail.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 11:02 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
So do you LOL
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Aug 04, 2006, 12:46 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Found a picture of Hull #3. Finished out as the harbor tug "Venus". Cute little bugger.
Old Aug 04, 2006, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2006
865 Posts
I like the fact that you didn't pretty it up. The rough worn look is nice to see. I think it takes more effort to make it look this way than everything clean lined.

Don
Tug Guy is offline Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Aug 07, 2006, 01:01 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Couple more pics of Hull #3. By the way..this is someone else's finish...I only laid the hull out.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 12:11 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,667 Posts
That is a neat little boat! Looks alot like a Leal Kanstein fiish.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S