SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2002, 11:44 PM
Joined Feb 2002
42 Posts
East Valley Phoenix AZ, Let's fly!

Howdy...

I'm located in Gilbert, AZ and fly my electrics from Holmes Park (Big grassy wash/field at the corner of I-60 and Greenfield).

I'm looking for folks who want to get together once a week (mid-week or weekend) in the AM to fly...

Anyone interested? Post here, or email me at ben@freedmanhome.com

I'm flying a ViperTwin, TwinJet, Grumbler, plus some nitro birds and helis. This field is too small for Nitro planes, though. The mown grass is GREAT for soft landings, however.

Look forward to meeting you...

- Regards,

Ben
ben1000 is offline Find More Posts by ben1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2002, 11:53 AM
gilbert, az usa
Joined Mar 2001
30 Posts
Ben1000,

Have you considered coming down to Rodeo park and joining the CASL club members flying? We are an eletric/glider club located at the corner of Val Vista and Ray. Eletric flyers are out on Wednesday and Saturday mornings and glider pilots are usually around on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Hope to see you there.

Mike
mothers is offline Find More Posts by mothers
Old Aug 05, 2002, 12:01 PM
Joined Feb 2002
42 Posts
I will definately drop by, however I was hoping to get something less structured going up here. Just maybe 5 or 6 guys who want to fly casually once a week.

If you're out there, drop me an email.

Thanks

- Ben
Old Aug 05, 2002, 12:52 PM
gilbert, az usa
Joined Mar 2001
30 Posts
Ben1000,

This is a very loose group of guys. From Fall to Spring we have monthly gliders contests but only a handful of the club members fly in them. We get together more to compare toys and see what new toys can do. Please be careful when flying in this area as there are several offical and "unoffical" clubs around and I would hate to see you lose a plane because of frequency interference. Look forward to meeting you. If you have questions or need directions don't hesitate to email me or check the club site www.casl.net.

Mike
mothers is offline Find More Posts by mothers
Old Aug 05, 2002, 01:24 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Ben,
I fly with the CASL group as well and yes it is AMA but it is about as fun fly as you can get for electric flight. We have basic safety rules for the field but other than that we are there to have fun. There is a very diverse group of planes and pilots found there.

The Mesa park rangers have asked us not to fly at the site you mentioned. Not even gliders are allowed. In fact, we used to fly at many of the Mesa parks but have been told officially that we are not welcome at any of the parks except the one at Lindsey and Brown Rd. If you have a small plane they will probably leave you alone but if a group goes there I'm sure they will come shut it down. The Parks and Rec. Dept had been very negative to R/C flying since the old Spook Hill issue became a thorn in their side.

We fly very informally at an alfalfa field at the far deep SW corner of Baseline Rd. and Mesa Dr. on Sunday nights. It's just a farm field and several of the Hobbytown guys go there after work. CASL has a list server message board that you can join to stay posted on local flying. You don't have to belong to the club to get on the list server. Just email the webmaster. That's how many of us get together on weekends to fly. Post where you are going and usually someone will show up to join you.

Dave Wenzlick
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Aug 05, 2002, 01:35 PM
Joined Feb 2002
42 Posts
Hi, David...

I understand about MESA parks, and I asked a ranger who talked to me there one day. He didn't make me stop, and I asked him about the rules. He said it was all 'cover-your-a$$" by the City of Mesa.

I mean, here you have a beautiful, tax-paid, mown grassy park, and have you seen the list of rules? You can't even have pets in there. There are no tables for picnics, no trees for shade. To have to pay taxes for a park with so many rules and so little use is criminal.

Incidentally, of all the rules, flying R/C planes is the only rule that is prohibited without permission (rather than just prohibited overall).

I wonder how the owner of the farm field feels about you guys flying in his field. I will maybe drop by some Sunday night.

I will join CASL, as it's very cheap, but I'd rather fly from grass than dirt, and it bugs me that that field is so perfect, and yet so under-used. I'm sure that the City hates the idea of permitting anything like R/C electrics. Basically, unless the Parks dept. is headed by a guy who likes to fly R/C, they'll always play the 'safety' card and prohibit anything fun.

I'll drop by the CASL site. Can I sign up for the mailin list there?

Thanks

- Ben
Old Aug 05, 2002, 01:36 PM
Admitted RCoholic
Apache Junction, AZ
Joined Jul 2002
120 Posts
Hey Guys,

Is anyone flying indoors in the East Valley?

TIA,

Doug
Dugster is offline Find More Posts by Dugster
Old Aug 05, 2002, 01:49 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ben1000
Hi, David...

I wonder how the owner of the farm field feels about you guys flying in his field. I will maybe drop by some Sunday night.

I'll drop by the CASL site. Can I sign up for the mailin list there?

Thanks

- Ben
Ben,

Unofficially, we have the okay to fly there. The owner knows we are there and likes to watch our flying and we have talked to a caretaker several times. If there ever was an "incindent" they would deny any knowledge of our actions.
Yes, email the webmaster from the web site to join the list server.

Dugster,
I don't know of anyone flying indoors but we have done it from time to time like at out Christmas party last year. How big is your living room?

Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft