HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:23 PM
St.Paul
Joined Jun 2006
113 Posts
Discussion
Does a Heli w/tail rotor really fly like this?

Ok, here's the deal... I have a Blade CX Coaxial and having a very limited indoor airspace to fly in I want to use a sim to learn nose in control. I modified my CX transmitter to use the PPM output into a PIC interface into the Serial port on my computer. Using FMS I can configure all 4 channels just fine. In the real world, I don't "Fly" the CX as much as "Drive" it. Move it forward, aft, left, right, center the stick and it stops. Attempting to fly the heli's on FMS I find that once moving in a direction, it takes a counter direction to stop. I end up over correcting (I assume) and end up swaying back/forth or left/right. I did down load 3 coaxial heli's but the flight charectistics are the same as the tail rotor heli's.

So my question.... Do heli's require this counter command to control flight or do they require a constant stick direction to maintain direction?

Flying a heli on the sim does feel like the discription I have heard of balancing a marble on a plate of glass.

I this sounds correct, Ok with me, I do want to learn how to fly, that's the object. ..... Practice.. Practice.. Practice.. Right?
GeorgeP is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeP
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2006, 10:36 AM
Scramjet Scientist
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Jun 2003
53 Posts
They definitely fly like that. Those coaxial helis are almost too stable where CP helis are pretty much unstable. You give it a tap in one direction and it zoots off that way unless you correct. It removes a lot of limitations but also makes it a lot harder to fly. Definitely keep practicing on the sim if you're going to move to collective pitch helis, or fixed pitch for that matter.

~Patrick
Patrick K is offline Find More Posts by Patrick K
Old Aug 03, 2006, 06:37 AM
St.Paul
Joined Jun 2006
113 Posts
Thanks for the answer. Yes, I fully intend to make the move into a CP heli but I need to get my Tail/Side/Nose-in orientation nailed down first. That is why I got the coaxial for in house flying, but then flying the sim was a whole different feel.

tnx agn for the reply.
GeorgeP is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeP