SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:18 AM
Joined Aug 2005
3 Posts
Discussion
ABX Aerobird Xtreme- Is there anything I can do to hotrod this thing?

My AB Challenger has been absolutely awesome... but I sold it to my buddy and bought a fresh Aerobird Xtreme to replce it.

The plane flies well- a lot like the ABC... but it feels more sluggish. Is there anything I can do to get more speed and power out of it? The ABC with the 7 Cell battery seems to perform much better...

Can I have a 7 Cell built for it or would that toast the electronics?

Would a 2/3 A pack with 7 cells be up to the task or is the amperage draw too high?

The guy at the hobby shop claims that he runs a LiPo in it (despite the cut off issue!) Is he crazy or is there some wayto reliably know when to stop running the battery before you damage it?

Other than the "pro tail mod" (which I did to the ABC with some success), Are there any other performance tricks I can do?
LoserBroadside is offline Find More Posts by LoserBroadside
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:35 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Have you looked into a different prop? You are limited on diameter but it might be possible to find one with more pitch....

I would be interested in any answers to this too...
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:50 PM
Joined Jul 2006
129 Posts
check your reciever. if it's the same as most the rest of the HZ/PZ planes, there is a jumper on it for Lipo batterys. (J3) I haven't seen inside an ABX yet to verify which reciever it uses.

LiPo's would wake that thing up
Groundcheck is offline Find More Posts by Groundcheck
Old Jul 30, 2006, 05:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
I think HZ planes like this one don't have the jumper ports...
Old Jul 31, 2006, 08:04 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
So I have been flying one recently too and I dig it. Its totally a boat and a half but the thing is graceful. Save your flare for the very last second because it usually just extends your glide by 20 feet.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:49 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Some possibly helpful info and my hastily written review is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549906
Old May 06, 2012, 03:58 AM
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
I Modified an ABX with a brushless Super Tigre .10 Motor.

I bought an ABX wing, fuslage, and tail separately, parts on sale, three years ago but could not fly it because I could not locate a transmitter with the correct frequency. Flew the wing on a Skyfly a few times and was impressed with how it flew.

This year, I decided to put in together bypassing the stock setup as there were too many problems reported with it and trying to modify the frequency on a Tx was not possible without soldering in the correct crystal. I read the posts where some had upgraded theirs to brushless and decided that was the route to go.

Here are the upgrades. Super Tigre .10 mounted on the outside, bolted (#6 bolts with locknuts) on a piece of 3/8 plywood, 1/4 inch plywood bulkhead on the inside makes it all structurally sound, Parkzone Mustang BL 9 inch propeller and prop adapter with 1.5 inch spinner, Spektrum Rx to go with my DX8, 30 amp E-flite ESC, Parkzone 2,200 mah battery, Parkzone 130 digital servos mounted on the sides, thin control rods mounted with clear hockey tape outside the boom (got rid of the fishlines, had previously done same on the original Skyfly), stock tail (for now), glued pieces of foam together to make a battery bay, Rx is velcro-ed under battery bay in front of landing gear with its remote velcro-ed at rear bottom of fuselage. The ESC is velcro-ed high on the curved side of the of the fuzelage, replaced the wheels with 3" narrow Dave Brown Lite Flite Wheels. Mounted a counterweight boom up front to make it balance, rather than add extra weight in the fuselage. Added a plastic skid at tail. It all come in at 2 lbs-4oz, same as stock but does not fly at all like the stock setup described in these forums.

With a fresh battery, it takes off on grass within 15 feet, will fly up vertically, do loops with ease, even do rolls with Tx D/R third setting and speed. The rolls are not crisp of course, but rolls nonetheless. I admit it does not fly like a PZ Mustang BL on a Power 10, but it does fly rather interestingly with this V-tail setup. The strong wing takes the extra speed and wild manoeuvres with ease without apparent bending. It floats in rather gracefully for landings. The controls are sensitive, so I fly mostly with the first D/R setting reserving the other two for aerobatics. I removed the Exponential I had dialed in because it caused the plane to rock in the air.

Since I have a habit of modifying the planes I have (12 now), this one will get a few more. A vertical and horizontal stabilizer and yes ailerons will certainly change the way this set-up will fly. I have also taken two wings, cut and glued them together to make a whopping 74 inch wing (compared to 55 inch stock). I doweled the cut rod with solid Carbon rod and there is room to add two small solid carbon rods to reinforce the wing further. Looking forward to trying this new wing, should make if float even nicer, thermals, we shall see. Yep, RC flying is fun.

Creative RC
Creative RC is offline Find More Posts by Creative RC