SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2006, 06:50 PM
Mr. Reliability
Chesapeake, Va.
Joined Jul 2006
95 Posts
Discussion
Best Lipo Battery for Zagi XS w/Mega 16/15/3

Hoping to get some experienced input towards the Lipo purchase decision for the Zagi XS Mega /3 brushless application. Like to know what is the best battery combination for both power and flight times, with the weight near the stock NiMH. Also, what is the choice for battery models, TP, etc. from your experiences in terms of price, value and reliability. I know a lot of RC guys have learned from their Lipo decisions, I'm hoping you can share your thoughts.

Any input into this Lipo decision is greatly appreciated. Currently flying with a 10 cell NiMH pack 2200 mah, MAS 5.5 x 4.5 prop, flys great, climbs awesome.

But, my buddy had me put his TP 2100 setup in it for one flight, and I am hooked on the speed increase from Lipos. I have the Triton charger ready to go.

Thanks
Lithuanian Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Lithuanian Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2006, 07:00 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
The power available from a 10 cell nimh and a 3S battery will be about the same with the greater voltage sag from lipos. However, I would not try to bump the 3 turn Mega to 4S because you'll be turning an impossibly small prop and not have enough thrust for your wing.

Stick with 3S unless you're willing to put your power system at risk and have the will power for judicious throttle management. If it were me, I'd parallel two 3S packs TP 1320 in parallel or two 3S 2100 in parallel for more duration. You're drawing around 35 Amps right?

There will be debate on "best battery" this but the Thunder Power batts are still the most available power/ weight. Also parallel your own batteries because buying them in 1P3S condiguration is cheaper and two separate packs are more versatile in the future when you retire the wing.
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Jul 29, 2006, 07:20 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I agree with e-guru, except I'd use the MaxAmps brand because of the massive price difference.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Jul 29, 2006, 07:21 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
TP's are great and you do pay for the brand name but you do get good bat's

Follow what e-guru said it is solid advice as to ganging packs..
In not sure about the vdc vs the 3 turn sounds like e-guru has a first hand handle on that one so again follow his advice on cell count..

As to batteries I have bought my share of e-bay specials and while they work.. stay away from them stick with packs that are getting a good wrap from flyers.. I use the PolyRC packs from
http://rclipos.com/

And find them to stand and deliver with out voltage sag.. Price aint bad either

I have also had great luck with the polyquest packs and have used both 2 and 3 cell packs ranging from 700mha to 2000mha from them
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jul 29, 2006, 07:43 PM
Mr. Reliability
Chesapeake, Va.
Joined Jul 2006
95 Posts
Thanks to all of you for your advice - eguru, you have raised my awareness that I will not see a great gain in voltage going to Lipo from my 10 pack, but the weight improvement will be dramatic. Will ganging two 1p packs be as simple as soldering the Y connection to behind the deans connector, or am I missing something?

Have any of you had bad experiences with Lipo, i.e. fires - I have been pretty content with NiMH safety so far, so I am curious what your thoughts are on the risk factor
Lithuanian Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Lithuanian Flyer
Old Jul 29, 2006, 08:04 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
yes fo the 1s packs you make a simple gang plug from the deans if that is what you use then plug the gang plug to theesc and the bat;'s into the gang plug

Respect the lipo and it will respect you.. I use a balencer when ever i charge and the fear factor has gone down but i never leave the house with batteries charging or go to sleep..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jul 29, 2006, 09:40 PM
phillyphly
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Hey moustachio:

I wrote this up about paralleling batteries and keeping separate packs in balance as if they were a factory assembled parallel pack. If you parallel the taps, the packs circuits will be completed just as if the lipo cell tabs were soldered together. Some caveats and warnings are included in the thread. Perhaps some dry reading but if you follow, your packs will be perfectly balanced.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522429
Old Jul 30, 2006, 08:59 AM
Joined Dec 2004
122 Posts
if you are buying a new battery get the TP 3S2P 4200 MAH battery. i have one in my zagi 60 the extra weight balanced out my wing perfect at 8" back from the nose and i get 20 min flight times with really getting into the throttle and only put back 80 percent charge back into the battery. i am using the mega 16/15/4 and it has some real power now.
swattley is offline Find More Posts by swattley
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
phillyphly
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Built 3S2P will be too fat a pack for most wings. 2x 3s1p will be able to be placed side by side and lay flat. Battery cooling is also an issue in high draw apps and is only exacerbated by burying in a wing with little to no airflow. Two separate packs have more surface area to dissipate heat and the center of the pack stays cooler in use. (didja know batts continue to rise in temp even after load is removed?) Then, there are the benefits of having two separate batts for the future with no real downside of balanced pack if you read the link I posted above.

In short, Swattley, I agree with your batt, just not your configuration
Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2004
122 Posts
that config fits perfect in my zagi 60 and a freind has it in his zagi 48. the battery sits in the center on the battery tray and does not even stick up past the foam. i could post the exact width of the battery if needed.
swattley is offline Find More Posts by swattley