HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:36 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Jurgen,

I don't read German but I take it he didn't gain as much roll authority as desired? I would expect this because the polyhedral's roll stability is more difficult to overcome. I'll give it a shot anyways.

Mark,

I don't expect it to roll like an Extra 300 but I would like to have more direct roll control. If it's anything like the Tipsy, the motor is just glued/taped onto it's mounting surface. I plane to do a mod on the mounting method that will allow me to do a quicker/cleaner motor change which utilizes a bearing plate and tie strap instead of adhesive.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Its made from Solidpor. Will this take normal cyano and kicker.

Mark

UPDATE....

Well ok, I picked up mine yesterday. I'm going to run mine on a Tornado 2900KV brushless and a 2s to start with. After that I'll run it on a 3s and see exactly what she'll take ( Its going to be abused a little ). I'm going to place another carbon rod in the wing for extra strength and I'll be using HS-81 servo's. These are a little to big, but I think they'll be better suited for when I run her on the 3s.
I'll build her up on the weekend, but the way the weather is, probably won't get to maiden her.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Last edited by MarkJayne; Jan 12, 2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 02:12 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Well I've almost finished the build. Pretty straight forward, and now she's built up she looks pretty nice. I've used Hs-81 servo's. Their a little big but went in ok. The control wires are pretty thin. I hope they'll be up to the job.
Out of the whole kit, my only gripe is the pushrod connectors for the servo horn. They have this plastic nut thats suppose to keep them in place. Horrible, fiddly things that I haven't bothered with. But apart from that everything went together well and hopefully I'll shoot some stills tomorrow.

Maiden flight won't happen until the weather improves

Mark
Old Jan 13, 2007, 02:31 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJayne
Well I've almost finished the build. Pretty straight forward, and now she's built up she looks pretty nice. I've used Hs-81 servo's. Their a little big but went in ok. The control wires are pretty thin. I hope they'll be up to the job.
Out of the whole kit, my only gripe is the pushrod connectors for the servo horn. They have this plastic nut thats suppose to keep them in place. Horrible, fiddly things that I haven't bothered with. But apart from that everything went together well and hopefully I'll shoot some stills tomorrow.

Maiden flight won't happen until the weather improves

Mark
Hi Mark,

A brushless motor and HS-81 are overkill for a model like the Elektro-UHU.

Plastic nut at the servo horn? Something's wrong here, as normal Z-bends are to be used.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:00 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Hi Mark,

A brushless motor and HS-81 are overkill for a model like the Elektro-UHU.

Plastic nut at the servo horn? Something's wrong here, as normal Z-bends are to be used.

Jürgen
Hi Jurgen,

The Z bends are used on the rudder and elevator horn, but on the arm of the servo they have pushrod connectors. Have they changed this.

I've just gone by the book.

Mark
Old Jan 14, 2007, 03:51 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jurgen,

The Z bends are used on the rudder and elevator horn, but on the arm of the servo they have pushrod connectors. Have they changed this.

I've just gone by the book.

Mark
Oops, me bad (language issue ). The expression "Horn" is only used for the flight control surfaces, while "Hebel" (lever) is used on the servo side.

Those are M2 nylon nuts and although a bit fiddly to install, they work fine. (You may want to taper the hole slightly prior to installation).

Jürgen
Old Jan 14, 2007, 04:55 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Oops, me bad (language issue ). The expression "Horn" is only used for the flight control surfaces, while "Hebel" (lever) is used on the servo side.

Those are M2 nylon nuts and although a bit fiddly to install, they work fine. (You may want to taper the hole slightly prior to installation).

Jürgen
No problem Jurgen,

I've decided not to use them. I've replaced them with a metal nut and washer.
My only concerns are the pushrods. There probably fine for the stock setup, but will they hold up for higher speeds, what do you think ? I'm going to run a 2s lipo for my first couple of runs, but would like to run a 3s just to see what happens.
Looking back I wish I had used the sized rods that come with the Easystar. Its a little late now, and the fact that you glue the sleeve in, makes them impossible to change.
I've used HS-81's simply because I have plenty of them, and that I'd rather have to much than not enough.
The weight I'm saving using the Tornado 400 BM 2900 brushless ( motor and ESC weigh 110g ) instead of the recommended 400 plus ( this weighs 120g ) should balance the extra weight of the 81's.

Mark
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:59 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
My only concerns are the pushrods. There probably fine for the stock setup, but will they hold up for higher speeds, what do you think ? I'm going to run a 2s lipo for my first couple of runs, but would like to run a 3s just to see what happens.
Mark
As mentioned before, brushless power is overkill for such a model. It could cause wing flutter and other unwanted effects.

Jürgen
Old Jan 14, 2007, 07:20 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
As mentioned before, brushless power is overkill for such a model. It could cause wing flutter and other unwanted effects.

Jürgen
Hi Jurgen,

Only one way to find out

I may place another carbon rod in the wing for extra strength.

If nothing else it should handle the 2s lipo surely.

Mark
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:13 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jurgen,

Only one way to find out

I may place another carbon rod in the wing for extra strength.

If nothing else it should handle the 2s lipo surely.

Mark
If I wanted a "foamie hotliner", I would have rather chosen the Terry or the Turn-On.

Jürgen
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Well here she is all finished. Well nearly. I've decided to remove the control rods and replace them with the same size as the Easystar. They go in ok, but I'll have to order another one for the rudder. I didn't bother with the two wing wheels. Can't see them lasting long, and they look a little silly. I cut my canopy in two. I've inserted my ESC into the one half and glued this onto the wing. The other half can be removed as normal. I use a set of small magnets to hold this down. Seems to work well.

Mark
www.rcflights.co.uk
Last edited by MarkJayne; Jan 14, 2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 02:59 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Looks good Mark! Can't wait to hear your flight report. What prop are you running? I just received mine yesterday from Hobby Lobby but have a couple of projects in line before the UHU.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jan 14, 2007, 04:28 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
Looks good Mark! Can't wait to hear your flight report. What prop are you running? I just received mine yesterday from Hobby Lobby but have a couple of projects in line before the UHU.

Doubletap
Doubletap...

If I use the 2s, I was thinking of a 6x4, although I've found that a 5.5 is about the maximum you can get away with, without having to cut foam away, which is out the question on this bird.
I'll have around 21,000rpm on this setup with the 2s, so the 5.5x4.3 should be fine. If I ever do try the 3s, it'll have to be the 4.7x4.7.

Mark
Last edited by MarkJayne; Jan 14, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:03 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
So how does the motor stay in place? Is there an actual mount, or just glue or strapping? Very nice bird, hope she handles the extra power.
MKH
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:15 PM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Quote:
Well here she is all finished. Well nearly. I've decided to remove the control rods and replace them with the same size as the Easystar. They go in ok, but I'll have to order another one for the rudder. I didn't bother with the two wing wheels. Can't see them lasting long, and they look a little silly. I cut my canopy in two. I've inserted my ESC into the one half and glued this onto the wing. The other half can be removed as normal. I use a set of small magnets to hold this down. Seems to work well.

Mark
www.rcflights.co.uk
Mark,

Hope that your EZ*s haven't seen this new 'bird' that you have been spending so much time with lately !

How could you? After all the faithful flights you have spent together! ha ha

Jokes aside, she looks great and I look forward to your flight report. I might also be tempted....

Deryck
DelUK is online now Find More Posts by DelUK