HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Steve
Increasing the rudder travel might be a good idea for me to do aswell...

I still think it looks a whole lot better than say an easystar (or any of it's clones) and it indeed is a wonderfull plane in light airs... But there is the catch for me, we don't have that very often over here and i find that, with windspeeds above 7mph, it can be a handfull to get back down on the ground...

So i am thinking about getting myself an other plane that can cope with a bit more wind but must be able to have about the same landing speed as the UHU (Junior S with spoilerons maybe?) due to the fact that i don't have a whole lot of landing space in the area i mostly fly...

Sjaak.
Black Cloud is offline Find More Posts by Black Cloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Black Cloud,

I had the rudder on max throw and it wasn't enough. So, what I did, and what I was refering to, was to increase the physical size of the rudder. I added a shaped piece of balsa and secured it using two small lengths of 1mm carbon rod and CA, finally trimmed off with some coloured tape. It's perhaps 50% -70% bigger now and has much more authority when flying very slowly.

I agree with you about the looks of the UHU in comparison to the Easystar, etc. It's sleeker and much more elegant, both on the ground and in the air.

I've also thought about getting a Junior S but somehow managed to end up with something else. Again, it looks so much better than the Mpx Easy Glider Pro for example. However, from what I understand, it likes to be flown with some speed and, in this respect, The Easy Glider Pro would be a good option if you like slow flying.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Hey Steve,

I don't think that i'll go that far... I guess i just have to accept it and use the Uhu on calm days...

Speeking of calm days, today we had a very calm evening so went out flying with my brother (he's got an easy glider and older BMI electric glider wit a T-tail and he also brought his rc concorde) and my father with his Arcus... Started out of course with the Uhu, after that took my little Terry for a run, had a really great time! Had a couple of good flights with both the Uhu and the Terry and got both my planes back in one piece...
Might post a few pictures tomorrow...

Well we just have to see about that Junior S, cause i just had a great deal on one... Brand new in box, unassembled, wrapping still around all parts, got it including engine and ESC for the recommended price of a kit without engine (saved me about 85 euros)

Sjaak.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:37 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Hi Sjaak,

I see you have a Terry S too! If you haven't done so yet, I would highly recommend adding ailerons.......it takes the Terry to a whole new level of fun! Rolls, inverted flying and so on.

If you get the urge to do so, I will happily provide info as to my set up.

Hope the Junior S goes well, keep in touch about it.

Steve.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Steve,

Well adding ailerons is something i might do in the future... At this moment i'm still trying to get a bit more confident with my Terry since we've gotten off with a rough start.. Partly my own fault and partly equipment failure... When i bought it i started out with a TO hot setup for my flying abbilities (BL inrunner on 3S), so downgraded it to a speed 470 on 2S, next flight after i downgraded it my receiver failed, so my little Terry ended up in a tree about 15 meters high

I would appreciate it if you could sent me info about your setup... At least i got some examples than if i make up my mind to add ailerons...

Once i got the rest of the parts for the Junior S (still need servo's, servo cables and a bucket of CA glue) i'll make a little built log in the foamie thread

But this thread was all about the E-Uhu and i promised a few photo's, so here you go:

Me flying me E-Uhu:

My little Terry:

My dads Arcus:

My brothers Concorde:

My brothers Easyglider:
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:33 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Hi Sjaak,
Some lovely photos of your UHU.

I flew my UHU this evening as the conditions were perfect and I fancied a nice relaxing, easy fly experience after flying some of my other more demanding models.

There was a very gentle breeze and I flew a 40 minute flight, climbing to height and then sailing on the breeze. I have just charged the lipo (2s 1800mah) and it required 1184mah to achieve a full charge. The UHU is a wonderfully efficient flyer and looks extremely good in the air.

The only downside is that the stock brushed motor is showing signs of fatigue and is struggling to pull the model up to height. Very soon I will replace it with a small brushless inrunner which I have. Climb outs to height should be much more rapid!

PS. How's the Junior S going?

Steve.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Since i was getting more and more unhappy about the rate of climb of my E-Uhu, i thought it was time to put it on steroids

I bought myself a 2200Kv outrunner and a new ESC.
Had a bit of fun behind the lathe making a mounting can for the new motor and had to decrease the diameter of the motor shaft so i can still use the original prop.

Before i removed the old speed 400, i wanted to know how much thrust the original setup actually delivered, this was a staggering 250 grams

After installing the new motor motor, i adjusted the endpoint on my transmitter to 75% and this new setup now delivers a healthy 300 grams of thrust, i guess this would be a nice starting point...
Now all i have to do is wait for a nice calm day to do some testing.

some pictures of the new setup:

ps: Sorry Steve, i totally missed you question... But my Junior is a blast!! Goes unlimitted vertical on WOT, handles very nice while gliding and landing this bird is very much a non event aswell, especially when deploying the spoilerons to dump some speed, i couldn't be happier with it
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Very nicely done conversion Sjaak, looks great. Please report back after the flight test.

I will have to get round to doing mine too. I have moved on a bit in terms of the models I fly nowadays and they do tend to keep me busy enough. However, I will keep the UHU going as it's a nice relaxing flyer for when the conditions and my mood permits.

Steve.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Thanks Steve

Thankfully i'm in the position that i only have the choice in 3 birds, but than i've got some boats aswell...
Of course i will report back how it flies after the flight test, but that might just take a litte while since the weather forcasts are not very positive for at least the next week (cold, windy, rain, snow)... now i don't mind the cold, but the rest...
So its going to be a to be continued

Gr,
Sjaak
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Unbelievable but true, the weather this afternoon was good enough for a test flight...
And it works like a charm! With the original motor it took me about 2 minutes to get to reasonable altitude, with the new motor about a minute.
Next time i'll increase the endpoint on my transmitter a bit, but so far i'm pretty pleased with it all...
Check out the video i shot today:
E-Uhu new motor.MOV (4 min 53 sec)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:24 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Excellent result Sjaak.

I think I will do the conversion to my Uhu during the Christmas holidays.

Steve.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Thanks Steve

Do you already know what motor you are going to use?
Keep us posted about your conversion when it's finished.

Gr,
Sjaak
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post
Thanks Steve

Do you already know what motor you are going to use?
Keep us posted about your conversion when it's finished.

Gr,
Sjaak
I'm going to use a 2200kv inrunner + 18A esc that was previously in my Terry S. The motor shaft is perfect for the prop/spinner of the Uhu.

Steve.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
My Uhu finally converted to brushless

As the heading says, I finally got round to installing the brushless inrunner I had on hand.

The AUW of the model has gone up by about 30g thanks largely to the ESC. However, if the model now has the extra power that I expect it to have, the extra weight will be countered by having a stronger, shorter climb rate up to altitude.

I used the case of the original brushed motor and mounted the inrunner inside using balsa longerons/spacers glued between the two. This way, the motor thrust line remains the same and, I can remove the motor in future if necessary. Finally, mounted the original prop/spinner.

I did a quick run-up in the house and it's much smoother and quieter than before. Aesthetically, the model looks no different.

Typically, the weather has taken a turn for the worse and the forecast for the next week is not good. But, as soon as I can do a test flight I will report back.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to start putting together my new Mpx Solius.

Steve.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
That sounds like a nice way to hide your little inrunner...
I know what you mean about the weather... Over here its not the wind at the moment, but its the cold... After about 15 minutes my hands start turning blue and numb... I did have a few flights with my Uhu this week though (did put a small vid on youtube again...)
I hope the weather clears up soon so you can do your test flight, would love to hear how it went
Have fun putting your Solius together.

gr, Sjaak