HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2009, 05:28 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
I still have a Tipsy. It was with 2x HS55, 2s TP 1320 and a hitec receiver. Now I´ll leave it lighter with a berg 4, and 2x HTX500 (5gr servos).

I think the flight will be much more slow and the flight time will be extended...
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2009, 03:08 AM
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
Hello!
where is the real CoG of the elektro-UHU ???
mine is 60~65mm behind the leading edge, but in flight it seems to be too far rear because the plane increase nose down when putting down elevator...
Graupner says 70~90mm ???
(I have a 7 NiMh 1200 instead of 6 NiMh 1000)
I don't understand?
(but I prefer my crashed easystar )
Bye,
sebsoupe
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe
Old May 13, 2009, 04:12 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebsoupe
Hello!
where is the real CoG of the elektro-UHU ???
mine is 60~65mm behind the leading edge, but in flight it seems to be too far rear because the plane increase nose down when putting down elevator...
Graupner says 70~90mm ???
(I have a 7 NiMh 1200 instead of 6 NiMh 1000)
I don't understand?
(but I prefer my crashed easystar )
Bye,
sebsoupe
I fly mine with the CG approx. 80mm from the leading edge.

What is the position of your elevator when trimmed for normal glide?

Any slop or friction in your linkages? Bad centering servo?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:30 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Do any of you have a spare clear plastic canopy for the original Graupner UHU that you would be willing to sell? Mine popped off during flight and I have no idea of its whereabouts. PM me if you have a spare canopy. Thanks.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:05 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
It's back
http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...%252dUHU-.html
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outngo View Post
But who would want to buy the older Elektro UHU kit, when they can get the bigger Elektro Rookie with brushless drive set for less?

Jürgen
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:27 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
But who would want to buy the older Elektro UHU kit, when they can get the bigger Elektro Rookie with brushless drive set for less?

Jürgen
Jurgen,

I have much respect for your experience and knowledge and have learnt a great number of things reading your posts.

However, different strokes for different folks I say. Whilst one could argue that the Rookie is an "evolution" with reference to the UHU in terms of beginer friendliness, robustness, brushless, etc, that doesn't necessarily mean that the UHU should be dismissed.

For some, the slightly smaller size and the lower weight of the UHU may be an advantage (despite the one piece wing), others may prefer the sleek design. And, whilst brushed motors are somewhat archaic in todays market it is well suited to the UHU as you said so yourself in your excellent review of the model.

In terms of value for money the Rookie is certainly the winner although the UHU is in fact a few euros cheaper.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:17 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Steve, Many things could have changed since January 16, 2011 in the RC world.......
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:46 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
In terms of value for money the Rookie is certainly the winner although the UHU is in fact a few euros cheaper.

Steve.
Hi Steve,

let's have a look at the Graupner price list:

Elektro-UHU kit: €85.10
Motor/ESC for the Elektro-UHU: €52.20
Folding prop for Elektro-UHU: €14.20

Total: € 151.50

Elektro Rookie kit (including BL-motor, ESC and two props): €93.40

Jürgen
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:40 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Hi jurgen,

Yes, sorry my mistake!

I was looking at the UHU being offered for 76 Euros online. Only upon reading the full description of the box contents did it become apparent that the motor/prop was not included.

Steve.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:03 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but.........."Whoopee !!!"

My Sister who works in house design and renovation came across a NIB Elektro Uhu Kit today whilst preparing a loft conversion for someone. The new owners of the house told her that she could have it gratis.

Needless to say, it will be on it's way to me very soon for the princely sum of postage from the UK to Spain.

I've always liked this model but have always baulked a little at the price....but now.....as above......"Whoopee"

Steve.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:36 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to revive an old thread but.........."Whoopee !!!"

My Sister who works in house design and renovation came across a NIB Elektro Uhu Kit today whilst preparing a loft conversion for someone. The new owners of the house told her that she could have it gratis.

Needless to say, it will be on it's way to me very soon for the princely sum of postage from the UK to Spain.

I've always liked this model but have always baulked a little at the price....but now.....as above......"Whoopee"

Steve.
congrats!

you got one for a great "price" I also balked at the original price of the Elektro Uhu, but way back when I bought mine, the Elektro Uhu was the first and only alternative to the MPX Easy Star, for a high mounted rear motored pusher style foamie model, so I had already had an Easy Star but my curiosity got to me, and so at a pricey $130 before shipping from Hobby-Lobby for a bare foam kit, I pulled the trigger. Nowadays, there are many similarly configured foamies, but my Uhu is still a sweet flying/soaring motored glider, I couldn't resist once again when Graupner USA just recently put the newer Elektro Rookie S on sale with free shipping, so my Elektro Uhu and Tipsy will have another member of the family in the hangar.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:10 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Thanks Doubletap,

I'm really looking forward to receiving and flying the Uhu. For me it's the perfect combination of parkflyer, slow flyer, powered glider/soarer with a turn of speed when desired.

I'm trying to decide upon a suitable power system at the moment. I have a Terry S and the stock brushed speed 400 motor now needs replacing ( a brushless inrunner will be used ) but the ESC is still usable. So, I might just pay a fiver for a brushed speed400, solder the ESC to it and then mount a graupner 14x10 cm folder as original spec. However, I would need to get a couple of 1500/1800mah 2s lipo's also as I don't have any of that size/capacity.

My other thought was to use something like a 20-40 1700 -2000kv brushless inrunner which seems a common replacement/upgrade for a brushed 400.

Then there is also the outrunner option - Hyperion now offer a couple of motors of around 45-48g which they are marketing as direct replacements for 400 sized motors. The interesting thing is they also have an option for a 2.3 mm shaft meaning that they would be suitable for the graupner folder which, if possible, I would really like to use on the Uhu. In addition, the lighter weight of the outrunner, with an ESC positioned forward, would allow me to use some lighter lipo's up front which I already have. I calculate that I may be able to obtain an AUW of less than 400g with this set-up which would make for an excellent slow flyer/soarer in calm conditions.

Still, plenty of time to think about it.......the postal service from the UK to Spain is notoriously slow !!!

Steve.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:48 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Doubletap,

I'm really looking forward to receiving and flying the Uhu. For me it's the perfect combination of parkflyer, slow flyer, powered glider/soarer with a turn of speed when desired.

I'm trying to decide upon a suitable power system at the moment. I have a Terry S and the stock brushed speed 400 motor now needs replacing ( a brushless inrunner will be used ) but the ESC is still usable. So, I might just pay a fiver for a brushed speed400, solder the ESC to it and then mount a graupner 14x10 cm folder as original spec. However, I would need to get a couple of 1500/1800mah 2s lipo's also as I don't have any of that size/capacity.

My other thought was to use something like a 20-40 1700 -2000kv brushless inrunner which seems a common replacement/upgrade for a brushed 400.

Then there is also the outrunner option - Hyperion now offer a couple of motors of around 45-48g which they are marketing as direct replacements for 400 sized motors. The interesting thing is they also have an option for a 2.3 mm shaft meaning that they would be suitable for the graupner folder which, if possible, I would really like to use on the Uhu. In addition, the lighter weight of the outrunner, with an ESC positioned forward, would allow me to use some lighter lipo's up front which I already have. I calculate that I may be able to obtain an AUW of less than 400g with this set-up which would make for an excellent slow flyer/soarer in calm conditions.

Still, plenty of time to think about it.......the postal service from the UK to Spain is notoriously slow !!!

Steve.
So, while you are waiting for your Elektro Uhu to be delivered, here are some pics of my Uhu. By the way, my Elektro Uhu, even with a 2200mah 2S, it weighs only 500g. I'm using an Align 400SF 2800kv and APC 5.5x4.5e prop. with that power setup it has way more power than I need or want, so I recently ordered a lighter and lower kv outrunner, I will use to replace the Align. I like the Align 2800kv for larger Easy Star style planes, very good power but still fairly light weight for low wing loading and good soaring performance.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Last edited by Doubletap; Sep 11, 2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:20 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Thanks for the pics Doubletap.

I'm going to continue researching motor/prop combos before making a decision. I only want enough power for some gentle flying but with enough in reserve to give a burst of power to send the model skywards when one of those "dumb thumb" moments occur.

I've been re-aquainting myself with some videos of the Uhu flying and I just can't wait to get mine and put her in the air.

Steve.