HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:01 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
The E-UHU really wasn't designed for speed. Although the gliding speed was relatively high (too high for many beginners), this was more or less triggered by the weight of the heavy ABS fuselage, the 320g 6 cell SC pack, the 220g motor and standard size 45g servos.

With a modern outrunner, Lipo in the nose and micro servos, the model would fly much different nowadays - have to try.

Jürgen
Jürgen -

That's exactly what I am hoping for - I'm aiming to really lighten up the old Elektro-UHU and end up with a glider that can float on thermals and gain altitude as quickly as possible without too much wing flutter.

I'm thinking of the following power setup for this UHU from 1991:
* AXI 2820-10 brushless motor (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2820.htm ) - ~5 oz.
* 13x6 freudenthaler prop
* 60-Amp CC Phoenix ESC
* 3S/4S LiPo with ~3000mAh capacity

Should be significantly more powerful than the stock set up, and much lighter. Hoping that the c/g balancing will still be feasible (without adding dead weight) with the lighter set up...
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:41 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,453 Posts
JonUK
I didn't bother with the wing mounted outrigger wheels as I always fly off grass, but did mount the mainwheel.
On smooth grass touch and gos are fun.
Good luck for Sunday.

regards

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
I'm thinking of the following power setup for this UHU from 1991:
* AXI 2820-10 brushless motor (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2820.htm ) - ~5 oz.
* 13x6 freudenthaler prop
* 60-Amp CC Phoenix ESC
* 3S/4S LiPo with ~3000mAh capacity
This is definitely overkill.

A 70-100g outrunner with a 2s3200 Lipo right behind the motor should do.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:50 PM
Berkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2005
137 Posts
As a certain Mr H. J. Simpson might say "Woo Hoo"

Super day out today. Managed to fly a quick maiden last night with the UHU to make sure everything was working fine. It was!

So managed to spend the afternoon flying. Well some flying, some chatting etc.

Only got through the one pack over about 30-35 mins worth of flying in 4 flights. Bit windy today, but got some good gliding in (slightly "power assisted" at times).

Ballast ended up being a couple of pound coins held in with a bit of GWS clay; about 28g in total. I might have to get an altitude gizmo to replace the weight, I'm curious how high I was going.

Thanks for the help folks, this is going to be fun!

Jon
JonUK is offline Find More Posts by JonUK
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:56 AM
Berkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2005
137 Posts
Just wanted to share this pic of my Uhu in flight!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2007
405 Posts
i was thinking about getting a EZ*, but this new version Electro Uhu looks like it ROCKS! an well worth the extra money, what are some of the considered "faulits" of this plane? i like it being made of "SOLIDPOR" foam and it size an weight, im not looking for a speedster, just a relaxing fun plane that will thermal at least half decent.
THANKS
hermitscave is offline Find More Posts by hermitscave
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:38 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_plane_fun
i was thinking about getting a EZ*, but this new version Electro Uhu looks like it ROCKS! an well worth the extra money, what are some of the considered "faulits" of this plane? i like it being made of "SOLIDPOR" foam and it size an weight, im not looking for a speedster, just a relaxing fun plane that will thermal at least half decent.
THANKS
The UHU will float around much better than the Easystar, as its much lighter and less draggy. Its a lovely flying plane which doesn't need much power for it to fly well. The Solidpor isn't as tough as the Elapor.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:50 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJayne
The Solidpor isn't as tough as the Elapor.
Well, the material is basically the same, but the Elektro-UHU parts are not quite as massive as the EasyStar's.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Oct 26, 2007, 03:29 AM
Berkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2005
137 Posts
Here's a question for you - how does the UHU's ESC (the purpose made one 7.4v motor etc) know if you've fitted lipo or nimh packs? Does it run the cells down to the same (lipo safe) level or do nimhs get hit more?

As it's a bit of Graupner kit I tend to trust it, I'm just curious how it works.

Jon
Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2007
405 Posts
that purdy lil'pointy nose dont stay purdy very long i bet, hahhaahahhahahaa
hermitscave is offline Find More Posts by hermitscave
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:20 AM
Berkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2005
137 Posts
Well, you'd have thought not. (My Tipsy certainly wasn't 5 seconds after it's first launch).

But bearing in mind I'd smacked this one into the roof of a 3 storey town house allowing it to fall nose first at rather high speed to the ground (short story, all in my blog) it was looking rather pretty (or purdy perhaps) an hour later!

J
Old Nov 19, 2007, 03:08 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
I have 0 experience with airplanes and i wonder if anyone could tell me how much thrust the Electro UHU requires in order to climb.I am shoping for a power plant geared toward longer flight time and since this is my first fixed wing aircraft ever i'm not shure if what i have in mind will give me enough thrust and speed.I used the characteristics of the suggested speed 400 as refference on the Diversity Model Aircraft's calculator but i would like a second opinion.The plane will haul some extra 150gr of FPV gear over whatever i will end up with after assembly is finished.Any help would be greatky apreciated by me,myself and my wallet.I have a rather expensive taste when it comes down to brushless motors.

Manfred Albrecht von Richthofen
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:04 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,453 Posts
andrebandre
I would suggest that the MPX EasyStar is a better FPV mount as it has a rather generous cockpit for stuffing all the goodies in. The E-Uhu cockpit area is quite small.
As for which motor, if you make yourself a large cup of coffee and a meal then do a search on the Aerial Photography forum on the Easy Star motor upgrades you will have a lot of reading to enjoy. The power plant requirements for the E-Uhu and EasyStar will be pretty much identical.

Have fun

Gordon
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:10 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
Thank you Gordon.It just didn't cross my mind and it's abviously where i should have started looking for an answer.

Dumb and Dumber
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Nov 19, 2007, 02:19 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,453 Posts
And when you've read that little lot you can always have a canter through the FPV forum.......

It is always better to ask questions.

Best Regards

Gordon