HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2007, 11:18 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Crashard
Glad you had a good day. I've increased my rudder throw by about 30% over stock, which I feel helps. Having said that if full rudder doesn't turn it you are probably flying a bit to slow.
Have fun.
Regards

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:18 AM
Romania
Joined Oct 2004
182 Posts
kit contains...

did the kit contain the motor and spiner as the EZ* did ???
cornel4web is offline Find More Posts by cornel4web
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:25 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornel4web
did the kit contain the motor and spiner as the EZ* did ???
No, there's no motor or spinner included in the UHU kit.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Apr 10, 2007, 03:24 AM
Romania
Joined Oct 2004
182 Posts
so mark...what setup do you recomand for this?...I'm from Romania and here is a lack of hobby shops. I can order some from http://shop.lindinger.at/ ... or if you have time to take a look at www.sierra.ro

10x for your time...
cornel4web is offline Find More Posts by cornel4web
Old May 16, 2007, 03:00 PM
Joined May 2007
8 Posts
New To This - UHU

I just got my UHU and have a few questions before I start putting things together...

1) Does the ESC have a low-voltage cut-off? I heard the EasyStar will cut power when the voltage drops but will allow for the throttle to be reapplied. I plan on using Lipo batteries so Im concerned about draining them too much.

2) I purchased the 'stock' or recommended motor - Included in the case were three capacitors and one diode BUT I can not find any instructions as to what I am to do with them... Any ideas?

3) The 'live' hinges seem very weak - Has anyone tried notching and putting regular hinges in?

4) I've read somewhere about putting clear, plastic packing tape on the undercarriage - Would it help to also put this stuff on the leading edge of the wing and tail section?

Thanks
balloonpilot is offline Find More Posts by balloonpilot
Old May 16, 2007, 04:38 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Balloonpilot
The capacitors need to go on the motor....some motors already have 2 preinstalled so its best to check. If you look at the terminals on the back of the motor if there is a little wire soldered there it probably has these and you then only need to solder one capacitor across the two terminals. If no little wires then solder a cpacitor from one terminal to the case, and another capacitor from the other terminal to case as well.

The live hinges as the model comes out of the box work and last very well. I would not recommend trying any other types.
Plastic tape on the forward part of the belly will do no harm iif you fly from gravel or tarmac, if you fly from grass then I wouldn't bother.
Similarly if you aply it to the leading edges it will help resist hangar rash.....I didn't bother and mine still looks pretty good.

Hope this helps

Regards

Gordon
Old May 17, 2007, 04:49 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonpilot
2) I purchased the 'stock' or recommended motor - Included in the case were three capacitors and one diode BUT I can not find any instructions as to what I am to do with them... Any ideas?
Thanks
The recommended E-UHU drive is the SPEED 400 PLUS 7.4V (motor plus ESC) and it comes ready to use.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 17, 2007, 08:47 AM
Joined May 2007
8 Posts
Jürgen -

The motor I have is the 400 Speed Plus with the ESC mounted on the back. Inlcuded in the box this motor came in was also these 3 capacitors and 1 diode - So Im confused if I need to use these components or not... Where does the diod go?

Hinges - My local hobby store has recommended not installing any 'normal' hinges, but to use hinge tape --- IS this a good idea?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2007, 10:37 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:

Hinges - My local hobby store has recommended not installing any 'normal' hinges, but to use hinge tape --- IS this a good idea?
The UHU hinges are pretty good, but not as good as the Easystar's, so a little hinge tape won't do any harm, just make sure you move them up and down a few times by hand to make sure they move freely.

Mark
Old May 17, 2007, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Jürgen -

The motor I have is the 400 Speed Plus with the ESC mounted on the back. Inlcuded in the box this motor came in was also these 3 capacitors and 1 diode - So Im confused if I need to use these components or not... Where does the diod go?
Thanks
Strange. Mine did not come with additional capacitors/diodes and you should not need them anyway.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2007, 03:17 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Will the stock 400 speed motor and ESC take a 3s. I can't seem to get anywhere on the Graupner site to find out. Just curious.

Mark
Old May 17, 2007, 04:08 PM
Joined May 2007
8 Posts
"Will the stock 400 speed motor and ESC take a 3s. I can't seem to get anywhere on the Graupner site to find out. Just curious."

According to the info at Hobby Lobby - it is said to be able to handle 3s. The folks at HL advised to 'not' go full-throttle but did not seem to think it would be a problem either way.

I did some searches and most places ref. the 6505 (the Speed 400 plus) as a 7.4 v (2s) system. However, the link at HL:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speedplus.htm

Shows it can go up to the 11v of a 3s
Old May 18, 2007, 12:27 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
"Will the stock 400 speed motor and ESC take a 3s. I can't seem to get anywhere on the Graupner site to find out. Just curious."...
The motor can take up to 3s, but only up to 10A max. You would exceed this limit with the original folding prop (which also might not be suitable for twice the power) and would need to put a smaller prop on.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2007, 05:45 AM
Joined May 2007
8 Posts
To Brake or Not to Brake

Reading the ESC setup on the E-UHU, I have a question about the brake option of the ESC. It is my understanding that the brake stops the prop and allows it to fold back with airspeed.

I'm assuming that the 'brake' does some sort of reverse-current operation to hold the prop from its natural tendancy to spin - So my concern is how much current does the brake utilize?

Thanks
Old May 19, 2007, 12:46 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Balloonpilot
Most ESC with brake apply the brake for only a couple of seconds when you fully close the throttle, so current draw is negligable. Some brakes are only an effective shorting of the motor wires (which acts as a brake until there is no more rotation, then has no effect).
Without the brake set the prop may never slow enough to fold. If you have the recommended motor/ESC set then set brake to on.

Regards

Gordon