HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:22 PM
Wake up and smell the veg
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Cool
Oil, oil, oil.....

Tomorrow I am taking the first step in freeing myself from high fuel prices, and dependency on foreign oil, forever. I am going to buy a diesel car. Then I am going buy and install a kit that will allow the diesel to be run on any vegetable oil:

Sainsbury's Vegetable Oil 3ltr

1.62/unit
0.05/100ml

Description

High in mono-unsaturates.

The seeds of the Brassica Napus plant with its distinctive bright yellow flower yields rapeseed oil which is contained in this bottle. It has little aroma or flavouring making it extremely versatile, suitable for almost all usages.

Suitable for almost all usages? No kidding.

1.62 for a 3 litre bottle....thats around 54p per litre, this stuff is going in my new diesels tank, when the veggie oil modification has taken place.
I passed a number of garages today, selling petrol and diesel at nearly 1 (US$1.85) per litre.

So lets see....there's veggie oil at 50p (US 0.75c) per litre, or dino diesel at 1 (US $1.85) per litre...I'm sure my local chippie will give me used oil for next to nothing.....this is clearly a no brainer for me.....

Veggie oil is a renewable fuel , and carbon neutral. Dino diesel isn't. Yep, this is most definitely a no brainer for me.

Later on, I can make my own biodiesel from the veggie oil, which will go into the startup tank, (or mixed with the veggie oil in the main tank) meaning I will never have to drive onto a garage forecourt ever again....
norite is offline Find More Posts by norite
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:26 PM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
280 Posts
It works; people used it here when prices went up to 1.50/l for regular petrol. However any copper that stops you will be able to see (smell) that you are using veggie oil and fine you. At least they do over here... car fuels are heavily taxed here, and the gov't do want their 30 pieces of silver
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Last edited by Muxje; Jul 29, 2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:28 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
sounds like a great idea...aren't you going to run the risk of being nailed for avoiding fuel taxes? When I was in Farnborough in Jan, I read in the paper that some fellow had been nailed on evading fuel taxes precisely because he was getting used oil from some local chippie!
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:33 PM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Using veggie oil for fuel is perfectly legal here (UK). However, the govt demands that you pay them 27p per litre in tax. it's entirely self policing, you send them a form each month along with a cheque declaring how much you've used....if this govt was really keen on saving the planet, they would not tax it at all. It's still cheaper than dino diesel and petrol. And getting it for next to nothing from the local chippie, well, you're still onto a winner, either way
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norite
Tomorrow I am taking the first step in freeing myself from high fuel prices, and dependency on foreign oil, forever. I am going to buy a diesel car. Then I am going buy and install a kit that will allow the diesel to be run on any vegetable oil:

Sainsbury's Vegetable Oil 3ltr

1.62/unit
0.05/100ml

Description

High in mono-unsaturates.

The seeds of the Brassica Napus plant with its distinctive bright yellow flower yields rapeseed oil which is contained in this bottle. It has little aroma or flavouring making it extremely versatile, suitable for almost all usages.

Suitable for almost all usages? No kidding.

1.62 for a 3 litre bottle....thats around 54p per litre, this stuff is going in my new diesels tank, when the veggie oil modification has taken place.
I passed a number of garages today, selling petrol and diesel at nearly 1 (US$1.85) per litre.

So lets see....there's veggie oil at 50p (US 0.75c) per litre, or dino diesel at 1 (US $1.85) per litre...I'm sure my local chippie will give me used oil for next to nothing.....this is clearly a no brainer for me.....

Veggie oil is a renewable fuel , and carbon neutral. Dino diesel isn't. Yep, this is most definitely a no brainer for me.

Later on, I can make my own biodiesel from the veggie oil, which will go into the startup tank, (or mixed with the veggie oil in the main tank) meaning I will never have to drive onto a garage forecourt ever again....

How dare you do something so sensible. This kind of action you are taking is gonna cut into the 1.4 billion dollar profits that Iran recieves from selling Your/our country oil. How else can we start a war with Iran if your gonna cut into their oil profits that may also allow your/our country to gain independence from foreign oil and cut off a larger portion of the funds they get to build up their military while we condemn those same nations that we rely on so much and recieve billions of our dollars? You should be ashamed...

on 2nd thought..im sure this adminstration will be able to figure out some type of "hype" that will eventually cause us to start a war with them in the near future...just what we need..3 wars going on at the same time, when we cant even handle Iraq...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:36 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,937 Posts
Wow, great idea! I wonder if it's pratical here in the USA since we have such "cheap gas?"
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:38 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Mar 2006
74 Posts
I see biodiesels every day, but then again I live in Berkeley.
TheJ is offline Find More Posts by TheJ
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:42 PM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumme
How dare you do something so sensible. This kind of action you are taking is gonna cut into the 1.4 billion dollar profits that Iran recieves from selling Your/our country oil. How else can we start a war with Iran if your gonna cut into their oil profits that may also allow your/our country to gain independence from foreign oil and cut off a larger portion of the funds they get to build up their military while we condemn those same nations that we rely on so much and recieve billions of our dollars? You should be ashamed...

on 2nd thought..im sure this adminstration will be able to figure out some type of "hype" that will eventually cause us to start a war with them in the near future...just what we need..3 wars going on at the same time, when we cant even handle Iraq...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
LMAO!!!

Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:42 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ
I see biodiesels every day, but then again I live in Berkeley.
Everyday? What kind of cars?
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:49 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
This part of the equation works just great whilst there are just a few people queueing up to buy the old cooking oil from the back door of the chipshop for pennies. When there are 100 people queuing up to buy the old cooking oil it probably becomes a little more fraught.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:49 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Mar 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
Everyday? What kind of cars?
Usually older small diesels, like VWs, etc.
TheJ is offline Find More Posts by TheJ
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:51 PM
H.A.L. 9000
Benicia Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2001
730 Posts
You should try bulk olive oil. there's a guy in Berkeley Ca. buying nonfood grade surplus olive oil fo $.46 a GALLON!!!! He's got a warehouse full of 55 gallon drums. He's got a late model M.B. turbo of some sort, said he put a machine tool cooling oil filter on and it works great. Chris
checkenbach is offline Find More Posts by checkenbach
Old Jul 29, 2006, 03:07 AM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Not all diesels will run on veggie oil. Biodiesel is NOT the same thing as veggie oil BTW. Is the car you are thinking about able to run on 100% veggie oil? How can you check to be sure? Is such a car available on our side of the pond?

I'd do it even if it was MORE expensive just to be running renewable non-imported fuel.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Jul 29, 2006, 03:25 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
I'd be worried about the injectors, fuel pump etc. Although rapeseed oil is fairly light, it's still way more viscous than normal diesel fuel, as is olive oil. Mind you, if the local chippie processes cocaine on the side, he might also be a good source of ether, which is just what you need to lower the viscosity
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jul 29, 2006, 04:15 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
314 Posts
When Rudolph invented the Diesel engine it was intendes to perform on a variety of fuels from coal dust! to peanut oil, so I'd go for it, especially if you can find it iin bulk. getting rid of those 3 litre bottles and their ecological cost may turn out to be the true costof you idea. But if you can get past that, great idea!

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1