HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
New Product
H-9 Sopwith Camel 61"

I posted this over in Scale, then thought maybe it should go in warbirds also:

Looks like Hangar 9 listened! They are coming out with a 61 inch Sopwith Camel. AND it is already setup to do either glow or electric!

I will be all over this one.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Product...?ProdID=HAN4225
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:54 PM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
Looks like a beauty! If it's up to H9's typical quality, it should be a great plane. I predict a squadron of Camels filling the skies soon.
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:22 PM
Some kind of Paradiddle
United States, NY
Joined Nov 2005
180 Posts
I can't wait. It'll be my first biplane.
Ramones, The is offline Find More Posts by Ramones, The
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:38 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
It looks like a nice model. I wish they would get rid of the shiny covering though. Yuck...

I'm assuming the plywood box above the motor contains a chunk of lead for balance. They couldn't have picked a harder subject to get to fly electric or glow! Well, maybe the Foker Dr.1 is just as bad.

I wonder if the Power 46 motor is really suitable for this model? It is being advertised as a .60 glow sized model. I'd want to be able to spin a big prop as slowly as possible for a nice scale effect.

The link above doesn't seem to work.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4225
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:51 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
I know most people used the AXI 4130-16 on the GP Triplane connversions. This is about the same scale, so I would think the 4130 or H-9 power 60BL would be the way to go on it.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:50 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I agree. And then you could take off the cunk of lead (if that's what the ply box is) or at least reduce the amout of dead weight somewhat.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:33 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
. They couldn't have picked a harder subject to get to fly electric or glow! Well, maybe the Foker Dr.1 is just as bad.
Agreed, an SE5a or DVII would at least give you a fighting chance to get it blanced without a bucket of lead in the nose.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:42 AM
Slayer of quality balsa
Cocoa Florida
Joined Aug 2005
65 Posts
OK stupid question for the day. How do you disassemble/assemble the wings for transportation?
crawler tech is offline Find More Posts by crawler tech
Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:56 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler tech
OK stupid question for the day. How do you disassemble/assemble the wings for transportation?
Just saw them off
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jul 29, 2006, 07:30 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,656 Posts
Velco?
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 29, 2006, 01:48 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler tech

Carefully;-)
Old Jul 30, 2006, 09:04 AM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
To view this model , I went to the Horizon website and typed in Sopwith in the search . About 12 pic and spec to look at.

I sure hope they engineered the thing right in the first place , I do hate adding lead to something that I want to fly half decent. . I'm going to think postive and hope for the best

Love those WWI biplanes
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:16 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Thunder1,

Yepper, could have gone with a cloth type covering here for a better scale appearance. The Power 60 e motor would be better suited for this bird as you need a lead mine to fill that box up front anyway...Then we have some massive batterys to get in there and counter that weight, Minga,,,, I have a 4130/16 hanging around. But you'll need 2x TP Pro-lite 3s 6000's or something like them to get things spinning proper. I have 4 of these batterys, At $200.00 + bucks apiece, gets mighty costly... along with at least a 70 amp ESC and remote bec. Might be better to just pop in a Saito 91 or there abouts.

Wing removal will be a bit of a task if you fit the flying wires. Easy fix with small fishing swivel snaps. And they sure look great.

All in all, darn nice looking ARF if you ask me.... Good thing its not out till Sept... Backlogged here....on stuff we must assemble....

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:41 AM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
Sweet looking camel. What you could probably do to alternatively balance it is power it with Emoli's instead of standard lipos. Emoli's are way cheaper and about 30% heavier. Mount it in the nose and it would probably work well. Emoli's can be gotten in pre-made packs in about 1-2 weeks @ www.bigerc.com packs range from 3s to 6s in 1p(3000 mAh) and 2p(6000 mAh). If you need a larger pack contact me directly and i can probably custom make one for you. Please forgive the website currently it is not yet complete.

I've wanted a camel for 2 years now and at the time couldn't find one in the size i wanted (back then 30") since then my planes have been steadily getting larger and larger. This one looks to be perfect since i'm flying at a club now with a HUGE flying area and larger batteries are cheaper now.

Can't wait for this plane to debut.
mcharles13 is offline Find More Posts by mcharles13
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:48 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot44
Thunder1,

Yepper, could have gone with a cloth type covering here for a better scale appearance. The Power 60 e motor would be better suited for this bird as you need a lead mine to fill that box up front anyway...Then we have some massive batterys to get in there and counter that weight, Minga,,,, I have a 4130/16 hanging around. But you'll need 2x TP Pro-lite 3s 6000's or something like them to get things spinning proper. I have 4 of these batterys, At $200.00 + bucks apiece, gets mighty costly... along with at least a 70 amp ESC and remote bec. Might be better to just pop in a Saito 91 or there abouts.

Wing removal will be a bit of a task if you fit the flying wires. Easy fix with small fishing swivel snaps. And they sure look great.

All in all, darn nice looking ARF if you ask me.... Good thing its not out till Sept... Backlogged here....on stuff we must assemble....

Jim
The AXI 4130/16 will spin a 13x8 prop (wooden MAS)on 6s while consuming about 33 amps max. A club mate has that setup on an 80" Citabria and it hauls the model around with great authority. The model uses only two TP 2100 3s packs in series.

For this model something like a 14x7 prop may be desired since it's going to be a draggy beast.

For this model anything over 800 watts would probably just be wasted energy.