HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:41 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
Build Log
Seagull Pilatus PC-9 Roulette RIP

Finally recieved the PC-9, bought at Sussex Model Centre. This is the first time I've bought from England. Shipping is fairly priced 18.5. It shippes with Parcel Force Euro 48, Don't ask what 48 stands for, shipping took 10 days. Nothing to gripe about as long as you know it, kinda hard to wait once you decided for something

Wasn't supposed to do anything Tuesday evening but one thing led to another and I ended up in my hobby room anyway

Everything looks to be a nice fit, fitted the winghalves and let it cure for the night(1,2)

Took away the covering for the wing retaining screws -they were misaligned (3), corrected the hole, filling up so the wing won't move during flight, glued on supports (4). Looks like the hole already been adjusted once, found filler in one end of the hole.

I'm not going to use standard servos, trying 16g/0.56oz for ailerons (5). Been told that she's tail heavy, therefore everything aft CG is going to be kept light. Moving elevator and rudder servos forward to throttle servo bay (which is being unused going electric)

Setup:
Motor: Dualsky XM4250CA-6
ESC:Aero-Nuts Platinum 60A (Dualsky XC6015BA)
UBEC: Dualsky VR-3
Battery: 4X VamPower VP-2S1P2250 4S 4500mAh
Reciever: JETI REX 7 MPD
Servo: Aileron : Global-RC 17gr Naro Max Midi, Elevator, Rudder:Jamara XT Miniblue. (All later changed to 27gr Jamara mini servos )

Will add more information as the work progresses.

Cheers,

Peter

//Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Last edited by wolw; Dec 17, 2006 at 07:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:49 AM
2200 Watt Club
Birmingham, AL
Joined May 2005
194 Posts
I also have this model, flying electric for a year now. it isnt that tail-heavy, but the main problem is the difference in motor weight. I will post pictures of my setup, but for now, a short description; motor- Hacker B50 9s w/6.7:1 planetary, CC Phoenix 60, TP 4s3p 6000mah. On a 12x10 APCe prop, getting about 750 watts, radar clocked at 82mph (from level flight) a few months ago. My flight-ready weight is right at 5.5 lbs...
edf express is offline Find More Posts by edf express
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:51 AM
2200 Watt Club
Birmingham, AL
Joined May 2005
194 Posts
I had to butt the battery right up to the firewall, servos are in their factory position.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:51 AM
2200 Watt Club
Birmingham, AL
Joined May 2005
194 Posts
I will also say you will be VERY please with the way this airplane flys! Tracks very nice...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 08:43 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf express
I will also say you will be VERY please with the way this airplane flys! Tracks very nice...
That sounds great, actually I've never heard so many saying no many nice things about a plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by edf express
I had to butt the battery right up to the firewall, servos are in their factory position.
You're getting me concered we differ 56gr/2oz in motor weight and Your 6000mAh Lipos must be a tad heavier than my 4500mAh.

Do you have them positioned vertically or horisontally ? My LiPopack are made of 4 2250Mah 2S packs made into 2 2S 4500mAh in series which will fit vertically right up to the firewall, hopefully it will be enough.

//Peter
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:28 PM
2200 Watt Club
Birmingham, AL
Joined May 2005
194 Posts
well, maybe thats why I never had a balance problem. I am not afraid of a little extra weight. This model has plenty of room for my stick battery 2x1x10 lenthwise into the belly. I believe I am still under the max weight for this model. If I am imagining your pack looking more like a brick, it should even out the reduction in noseweight from smaller motor, because more of your battery will be forward of the CG.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:33 PM
2200 Watt Club
Birmingham, AL
Joined May 2005
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolw
I'm not going to use standard servos, trying 16g/0.56oz for ailerons (5). Been told that she's tail heavy, therefore everything aft CG is going to be kept light. Moving elevator and rudder servos forward to throttle servo bay (which is being unused going electric)
Im not sure Im reading this correctly, but are you going to use smaller servos? I dont recommend smaller, you will need at least standard servos due to loading at speed. I would not trust smaller servos to do the work under load, no matter what any manufacturer claims.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:24 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
Actually I'm going to try smaller/lighter servos, -against better judgement Worst case scenario is a spare parts plane and a killed hare (the deere don't come that close)

Fitted the mini servo (1), fixating the horn with CA before drilling the holes (2).

These are the battery packs that will go up against the firewall (3).
Old Jul 28, 2006, 04:06 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
Not much done today

Landing gear in place (1).
Took up a hatch (2,3) for the battery packs, a tight fit.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 03:40 AM
Daydream Believer
England
Joined Jul 2004
130 Posts
Hi Peter,
Glad to here your PC-9 finally arrived Are you happy with it so far? Hope so or I'll start feeling very guilty

Things not too good here hence my lack of replies to your PM's - sorry bout that

Have fun,
Steve
Bad Driver is offline Find More Posts by Bad Driver
Old Jul 29, 2006, 04:30 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Driver
Hi Peter,
Glad to here your PC-9 finally arrived Are you happy with it so far? Hope so or I'll start feeling very guilty

Things not too good here hence my lack of replies to your PM's - sorry bout that

Have fun,
Steve
I'm very pleased so far, it will definately be more Seagull models, wonder which ....

I've already guessed that, don't worry.
Sorry mate.

ATB,
Peter
Old Jul 29, 2006, 04:38 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
I'm using Grapner's way (or the way they always recommend) to remove the covering (1,2) -using a soldering iron, no risk cutting too deep and the edges stays sticked to the surface.

It's taking shape

I always use slowsetting (24h fully cured) epoxy for high stress areas, besides it gives you a lot of time to correct and gave me time to mount both horisontal and vertical stabilizer (2) without having to wait for one to cure. I believe the strength of the whole tail section increases being glued with one solid joint.

More to come ...
Last edited by wolw; Jul 30, 2006 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling problems ;)
Old Jul 29, 2006, 09:03 PM
3D and Pattern!
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
63 Posts
Good job. I converted one a while back on RCU. Unluckily I overloaded the BEC and the thing crashed on the forth or 5th flight. I tried it with a AXI 282610 and a Jeti 30-3. Both on 12 NIMH cells. I could not get it to balance ith lighter lipo's.

3d and p's dad

StephenT
3dandpatternflye is offline Find More Posts by 3dandpatternflye
Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:40 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
I thought that the exhausts should do some good instead of just sitting there (1), may not do much good but I want as much air flow around ESC and motor as I can get.

Making battery hatch lock with neodym magnets (rare earth) (2).

Airscoop/battery leads exit (3).

Loaded everything in (4,5) (excluding motor mount) and got CG only 10mm/0,39" off, should be perfect with the added weight of the motor mount . Weight is so far 2322gr/81,9oz excluding the mount, I'm still waiting for it though, that's why I'm fiddeling with small timeconsuming stuff and not getting too much done
Old Jul 31, 2006, 04:29 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
I'm going to have two servos for elevator later on, this will have to do for now (1).

Got the motor mount today, besides from being rock steady it looks good too (2,3) , blindnuts included (4).
I might add that the included propadapter is very high quality, way better than my other MP JET which is considered high quality ones.

Servos on their way in (5).

What takes up so much time is trying to get the ESC and all the cables to fit snugly inside the cowl, at the same time is should be easy to change batteries.
I'm going to use neodym magnets for the cowl, I think, maybe

If I worked as much as I scratched my head I'd be flying by now
Last edited by wolw; Aug 02, 2006 at 04:27 AM.