SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2001, 10:08 PM
Palmerston, Otago, New Zealand
Joined May 2001
31 Posts
Hybrid Gas/Electric engine

I was just wondering, if you got a cox .049 and a 540 electric or something, would you be able to make some sort of a hybrid engine, that would be able to deliver the response of an electric, and just have the .049 charging the battery for longer life. it would mean you could have a very small battery for much longer flight times. I got this idea after seeing a webpage (I cant find the URL anywhere) on a guy who was making a generator for his laptop using a model jet turbine. Mind you, the reason for having electric is quietness, so the engine might defeat the purpose.
thefeeman is offline Find More Posts by thefeeman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2001, 10:28 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,270 Posts
NO! anything else on your little mind?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 19, 2001, 10:42 PM
Lear,Gulfstream,Waco pilot
Hazlehurst GA
Joined Jan 2001
390 Posts
That sounds a little like that new Ford electric/hybrid vehicle.....a 50 kW motor drives it and a Powerstroke Diesel runs the generator to recharge batteries....
agpilot24 is offline Find More Posts by agpilot24
Old May 19, 2001, 10:42 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Mar 1999
86 Posts
I'm sure what Bare meant to say was that more power would be derive by having the glow engine drive the model directly, as there are inefficiencies in having it drive a generator. There would be inefficiencies in the generator and then in the electric motor itself, all decreasing the power.
Electricsrule is offline Find More Posts by Electricsrule
Old May 20, 2001, 01:58 AM
Palmerston, Otago, New Zealand
Joined May 2001
31 Posts
Hell, bite my head off why dont you?
thefeeman is offline Find More Posts by thefeeman
Old May 20, 2001, 02:20 AM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
I could see this idea being useful for multi-engine airframes if developed properly. Imagine a single smallish IC engine powering a generator. That generator in turn powers 4 electric motors to drive the props. I'm sure there are losses and I don't know what the weight of a generator that can deliver the power we need would be, but it COULD work assuming the technology is out there.

Keith
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Old May 20, 2001, 03:07 AM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
Mind you, the reason for having electric is quietness, so the engine might defeat the purpose.

I thought that the reason for electric is to not have to get all that stuff on your hands and breath those rotten fumes and get laughed at because your plane won't start no matter how hard you spin the prop. And also because everyday is Earthday.

But I like your line of thinking. It is inventive. I personally like electric only flying but I'd be open to alternative fueled engines. Like one with a tank I could inflate with carbon dioxide.
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton
Old May 20, 2001, 04:11 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
Wow,

Is this a great troll or what?

IC planes rock and roll. I have flown IC for years. Don't believe the hype. IC planes have WAY more power and run time than electric planes.

But IC quickly gets very contrived and boring.

There is no hybrid.

Be free. Fly electric - anywhere - anytime. Its great, USA rocks - fly an airplane wherever, whenever it makes you happy.

F*ck rules. F*ck meetings. That's what has ruined model aviation for years. Fly when it makes you happy. Fly when you get the chance. Be free - fly like a bird!

FLY! FLY! FLY!

I love this game.

David
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe