HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:52 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Discussion
LCVP in 1:35 scale from Italeri

If you're looking for a challenge, and if small running R/C models turns your crank, check this out.

A friend who served on LCVP's in WW-II (26 landings at Iwo Jima) came up with the 1:35 scale Italeri kit and asked if I thought it could be converted to running R/C. Not being one to run from a challenge, I said "sure, no problem". I figure, once you're committed, you gotta' figure it out -- it'll be easier that way!

As it turns out, converting the model is really no big deal (so far). At this point, most of the framing is done, amd the better part of the conversion is complete. A few minor mods needed to be made to accommodate the equipment instalation, and battery access required a bit of head scratching, but at this point in the project, I don't see anything to get worked up over.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:01 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Mounting the Motor and Prop Shaft

A burned out retract servo was stripped of it's motor to be used in the LCVP. These 6 volt motors work great on 5 cells, and make very adequate power using the kit supplied props on these small conversions.

The stuffing box is 3/32" brass tubing with 1/16 braze rod for the prop shaft. The prop was glued to the shaft with Cya. A couple pieces of 1/4 triangle stock glued in place with medium Cya holds the motor in place. The motor was secured with a gob of silicone, and the prop shaft coupler made from a short piece of Robart plastic air hose.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:07 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Fitting the Rudder

The rudder was made up from .015 brass and 1/16" braze rod, and a 3/32" brass bearing tube was glued into the hull. The control horn was cut from 1/32 ply, and glued in place atop the rudder shaft. A .032 pushrod was bent to shape with a "V" bend should adjustment be required later. The sub-micro servo was glued to the hull with silicone to make it all functional.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:13 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Framing the Superstructure

With all the equipment in, the next step is to assemble the kit. To get access to the equipment, the top side needs to be removable, and due to the height of the equipment, the rear crew deck had to be cut for clearance. Originally, I thought only one side needed to be removed, but later ended up cutting the floor all the way off. But, with the upper deck in place, and the crew figures in place, I doubt it will even show.

From here, it's down to finishing and painting, then the R/C installation can be completed. Also, a 1:35 scale Jeep will be built and placed on the deck.

PAT
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:39 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,598 Posts
Are you going to weather it? You know... chipped paint, rust, bullet holes, blood stains, guts, body parts.........

Every time I see documentary footage of WWII beach head landings I cringe from the brutal conditions those guys had to endure.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:46 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
The LCVP was constructed of wood. The only steel pieces (that would rust) were the ramp, engine, and side armor. The side armor, IIRC, was 1/4" boiler plate.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:17 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Framing Continues

At this point in the project, it's down to "building the kit". The kit itself is really very nice and went together with ease.

In the conversion, access to the equipment is a must. For that reason, the deck assembly will not be glued in place on the hull. The other challenge was to seal the ramp so water wouldn't come into the hull. To solve that problem, the ramp was glued into the forward hull, then styrene rod was used to fill the small gap at the bottom of the ramp.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:24 AM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
neat looking project
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:25 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Painting the Model

With the basic assembly done, the model was color coated with Model Master Dark Green enamel on top and the bottom masked and sprayed flat black.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Jul 25, 2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:33 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Weathering the Hull

Once the basic colors were dry, the model was weathered, again using Model Master enamels.

First, the topside was shaded using Faded Olive Drab, followed by a touch of rust around all the metal fittings. Finally, the entire model was drybrushed with chrome silver to bring up the highlights. Once all the paint had firmed up, the entire model was buffed with a t-shirt to blend the colors.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:40 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Adding the Wash

With all the paint and weathering on and dry, a wash of Grimey Black was brushed over the entire model, and when dry buffed with the t-shirt.

Finally, the guns were built and painted, and the crew members assembled.

From here, the crew figures will be painted and detailed and the radio system hooked up and secured in the hull. And finally, a Tamiya 1:35 scale Jeep will be built and placed on the fore deck.

PAT
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:04 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,598 Posts
Another creation from "on high" by Pat the Master. Looks super! Your friend will be blown away!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:17 AM
Hotjava
Norcal
Joined Aug 2002
185 Posts
Pat,

Great job!

I love your conversions.

Oliver
hotjava is offline Find More Posts by hotjava
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:23 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Thanks Guys, I really like these small model conversions. And the "icing on the cake" will definitely be in seeing the look on Hughe's face when he see's the finished model. I'll get a photo of the model and it's proud owner when the time comes.

PAT
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:23 PM
Mostly harmless
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2005
382 Posts
Maiden voyage? Float test?

Excellent stuff Pat

I would love to see more details of your access to the battery etc. I looked at this kit last year but put it in the too hard basket....hmmm...maybe another look is in order
Capt_Christo is offline Find More Posts by Capt_Christo