HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2002, 11:33 PM
Combustionable RC Addict
Joined Jul 2002
77 Posts
What do I need to build a foamie?

Hi,
I was thinking of building a foamie plane just for fun, I got plans to make the BlueStick, but I don't know what I need to get, except getting the fan fold foam, motors ESC, batteries etc... Thanks in advance
LockedINgooD is offline Find More Posts by LockedINgooD
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2002, 01:32 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,414 Posts
I'd suggest the following;

Packing tape in assorted colors - or just clear
Glues of foam friendly type
Hot glue gun - one of the little dinky ones works fine
Sharp knives - Xacto, olefin, or razor blades
A nice flat spot about 3' X 4' that you can cut on without getting yelled at.
A good steel straight edge

With a bundle of foam and an idea, you're off!

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Aug 03, 2002, 01:44 PM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
don't forget sandpaper and a sanding block. 220 seems to work well.
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce
Old Aug 03, 2002, 05:03 PM
Combustionable RC Addict
Joined Jul 2002
77 Posts
Ok, once I get the foam and everything else, do I just cut the foam to the shape I want, or do I heat it in the oven like I have seen in pictures?
Old Aug 04, 2002, 04:26 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
heating is good. Hippo has a great site you should go to (if you have not already been there) I cannot remember the site name spmething like www.foamfly.com Someone here will now and let you know. I suggest going to his site All questions will be answerd there.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Last edited by kushal_22; Aug 04, 2002 at 01:23 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2002, 11:30 AM
Combustionable RC Addict
Joined Jul 2002
77 Posts
Yeah its foamfly.com, I will check it out.
Old Aug 05, 2002, 06:00 PM
Combustionable RC Addict
Joined Jul 2002
77 Posts
I have one last question, I know it might be cheaper to build your own from plans than buy a kit, but is it easier to make one instead of making one from a kit, like the T-IFO for example?
Old Aug 05, 2002, 06:24 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
With a kit you know you will have the right parts, instructions, the correct gear list, and correct CG airfoil, ect. If you have built a few kits and figured out how to correctly locate the CG and match a power system to airframe, by all means its cheap, easy, and fun to make your own.
With F-3 the limists are your ability to work it. Thats it, you can take almost any 3 view and enlarge it, the size and level of detail is up to you.
You can also make original aircraft as well.
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Aug 05, 2002, 08:32 PM
Combustionable RC Addict
Joined Jul 2002
77 Posts
Sorry if you misunderstood me, I meant if was easier to build something from plans off the internet, like the BluStik
Old Aug 05, 2002, 10:00 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Hey,
Thanks for the good word everybody. Anybody who has questions about working with BlueCor, can feel free to email me any time. I'm happy to help.

LockedINgooD,

Your best bet for a first plane, is probably plans. Either that, or make yourself a fan-fold copy of some existing model. That gives you the angles of incidence, and the CG right off the bat.

As an example, I make a kit of the Frog airplane, that you can see pictures of on my website. When I make these, I use the exact same techniques that I use to build my own planes. With a little practice, you can make your own planes that are every bit as good as any kit that you might buy.

The benefit of plans, is a good start. It can be a little daunting to try to design your own plane from scratch. A clear set of instrucions to follow really helps. There are a lot of free plans here on the Ezone. I have some plans for sale, and I'll have some more for free in the future.

I recommend building somebody elses design first, and thoroughly understanding it. By the time you've gone through that, you'll know all about cutting, glueing, and taping. Plans are somewhat preferable because you can start over in the event of a mistake, and you have an unlimited number of spare parts. Buying spare wings and fuselages never appealed to me.

I hope that sound more like advice than it does like an ad. Please, ask any questions, and I will attempt to answer them.

-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Aug 05, 2002, 11:29 PM
Combustionable RC Addict
Joined Jul 2002
77 Posts
Ok, so is it easier to build one from a kit with all of the parts included, or get plans from the internet, then buy the parts at an LHS, then build it? Thanks for all the replys.
Old Aug 06, 2002, 04:07 AM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hippo
Hey,
Thanks for the good word everybody. Anybody who has questions about working with BlueCor, can feel free to email me any time. I'm happy to help.
-Dan
I have a question! How do you do it?
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce
Old Aug 06, 2002, 04:21 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
LockedINgooD,

I am not sure about the "Cheaper" part.

Let's say it is cheaper, on the ground , but if you intend to fly it, breaking your electronics, due to crashes, is not necesseraly cheaper at the end of the day.

Building a plane, that flies well, is not a peace of cake.

The "that flies well" is the little detail that makes the big difference.

Think about the many crashes, real planes got, using months of researches, and very strong engines.

Here, we use hours of research with electric motors.

The Life expectancy of such planes is not too big, if it is the first time you do it, and without a strong background in aero-engineering.

On the other hand, it is so MUCH fun, that you may just forget about everything I wrote, and do it, for pure fun, knowing that you are fine if your electric parts will break, as you consider it worth the fun you'll get.

I belong to this last paragraph, and I intend to build one, but I know it won't be cheap. I also don't believe I'll build anything that flies better that the ARF I got, but again, just for the fun of it

Patrick
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Aug 06, 2002, 04:26 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
A good start is to do what some countries did for few generations, copy what exists the best you can.

Then, add your own creativity.
Make many mistakes, the sooner the better, and you can also learn a lot from the other's previous mistake.

But, it is so much more fun to do the mistakes yourself

There are already some threads on the Ezone, and good websites, browse around.

Gophering is a healthy activity.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Aug 06, 2002, 04:53 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
We have been repeating what Hippo has already said

Lockedingood

What Dan(Hippo) was trying to say is find a Plan(or buy one from him) Go get some Blue core(Fan fold) and begin making planes and parts. Once you have got down how to make something off of a plan you should have enough experiance to try making something from scratch. REAL scratch like as in NO plans scratch.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22