HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:59 PM
Newbie WW1 Flying Ace
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2004
571 Posts
Discussion
For the Linux users among us.

I've just determined that Castle Link works just fine when installed into a Windows XP installation running under the free VMWare Player. I could install the Castle Link drivers, hook up my ESC (Phoenix-10) and configure it to my heart's content, without having to reboot into Windows!

Hopefully this will help out other Linux geeks

I installed Windows into VMWare following the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VM...ndWindowsHOWTO - only the first part (getting VMWare installed) is Ubuntu-specific, the rest should apply to any distribution. Once I had it installed, I edited the .vmx file to say

usb.present = "TRUE"

and the Castle Link controller appeared as if by magic.

If you have any questions on getting this to work, just post here and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. I expect this will work with Windows 2000 and Windows 98 as well, although I haven't tested it.
tww1fa is offline Find More Posts by tww1fa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2006, 09:45 PM
kids ate my heli budget
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2005
1,782 Posts
I've been trying to get it to work under wine in Ubuntu and/or Darwine in OSX on my macbook, but so far no luck. It needs so much of .NET to work. Now, shouldn't it be able to run under Mono if it's a .NET app?
jameotron is offline Find More Posts by jameotron
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:23 PM
Newbie WW1 Flying Ace
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2004
571 Posts
You might be able to get Castle Link the program to at least start up, but I really doubt you'll be able to get it to talk to the actual controller, since Mono doesn't emulate Windows USB controllers as far as I know. Wine might be an option, but again I don't know how good its hardware emulation is.
tww1fa is offline Find More Posts by tww1fa