Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 02, 2002, 04:53 PM
Powell, OH, USA
Joined Sep 2000
159 Posts
new kit from Great Planes

Anyone seen the "OLDTIMER 40" kit just out by GP? Electric conversion posibilities?

Ron
radioflier is offline Find More Posts by radioflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2002, 12:02 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,456 Posts
Yeah, but its a stupid name, its obviously supposed to be a Stinson Reliant, so why not just call it a Stinson .40 or some thing. My vision of and Oldtimer is something like the old free flight planes like the Lanzo bomber or Rudder bug.

For an electric conversion it should do ok. Use lighter wood though, GP tends to give heavy wood.

--Paul

PS - Sorry about the rant on the name, but I am picky about that kind of stuff.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 03, 2002, 12:38 PM
Powell, OH, USA
Joined Sep 2000
159 Posts
Paul - I agree with you on the name. I'm just surprised the GP would bring out a 3-channel plane of that size. This planes flies in the opposite direction of what is popular today - 3D aerobatics; I'm surprised the GP bean counters would let the investment be made in a plane with a somewhat limited appeal.

Ron
radioflier is offline Find More Posts by radioflier
Old Aug 03, 2002, 02:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
What the heck - it's a cute model and looks easy enough to build.

The name? There's enough "scale" BARFs around that are worse parodies of their name, so why sweat it?

3D? Yes, it gets lots of press, and the odd club "star" garners applause for hanging around the runway for ages on end. But, in all honesty, how many of us are going there? I've been flying RC for around 22 years, occasionally do the odd aerobatic maneuvres and will happily admit that my chances of ever learning to hover are about nil. Call me old-fashioned, but aircraft of the fixed wing persuasion seem happier when moving forwards at a suitable rate (with a nod to the Harrier community, who have made other arrangements )

My latest effort in this direction has been an E3D - I bought Gary W's kit, have seen him fly, and know precisely what the odds are of my emulating him.

I can see the Oldtimer 40 not only appealing to a bunch of folk, but also crossing into e-flight as an alternate to the Sig Kadet series. GP aerodynamics have always been good, even if there's a degree of 'over-engineering' in their structures - easily taken care of. Shame it came out after I bought a Sig 1/5th Cub.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Aug 03, 2002, 06:25 PM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
I actually held the kit...

Went into the LHS, and they had one there. I too thought it would make a nice electric conversion.

I picked up the box to look at the detail pictures, and had to make sure I didn't grab two boxes at once by accident! I very nicely put the box back down, and walked away. Not sure what they are using for wood nowdays, but from the weight, it must be all plywood in there.

It probably would make for a nice conversion, but would require the usual using the die-cut stuff as templates, then selling the plane as new for someone else to make templates from. Oh well -- John P
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz