Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:28 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
Discussion
OS-Jet type 2 vintage model jet engine

I JUST scored a 1952 Ogawa MFG OS-Jet Type 2 model jet engine at a garage sale!
It is Mint, NIB, and the fuel jet and instructions are perfect and in sealed bags, the box is perfect.
I have always wanted to build an old timer design (I Know the jet engine I have isn't officially "Old Timing" it). My dad flew free flight when he was a kid, and I've always wanted to research the old pics I have and build the same planes he had. I hope to build some true to the era old school free flight planes someday.
Presently though, I figure maybe someone here might know about this jet engine I got.
Here's what I want to do:
The engine is SO NICE it's not worth using, Unless,,,I install it on either a newly built or actual vintage tether car or control line speed plane, which I believe are what these engines were used on.
So I either want to sell or trade this jet engine possibly (Not really interested in starting an antique engine collection) for maybe an Old Timer of some sort, or maybe get plans and build a control line plane for it, keep it?
It's too cool to just sell outright but I'm OK with translating it into something just as cool.
Any thoughts?
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:38 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Snake
I JUST scored a 1952 Ogawa MFG OS-Jet Type 2 model jet engine at a garage sale!
It is Mint, NIB, and the fuel jet and instructions are perfect and in sealed bags, the box is perfect.
I have always wanted to build an old timer design (I Know the jet engine I have isn't officially "Old Timing" it). My dad flew free flight when he was a kid, and I've always wanted to research the old pics I have and build the same planes he had. I hope to build some true to the era old school free flight planes someday.
Presently though, I figure maybe someone here might know about this jet engine I got.
Here's what I want to do:
The engine is SO NICE it's not worth using, Unless,,,I install it on either a newly built or actual vintage tether car or control line speed plane, which I believe are what these engines were used on.
So I either want to sell or trade this jet engine possibly (Not really interested in starting an antique engine collection) for maybe an Old Timer of some sort, or maybe get plans and build a control line plane for it, keep it?
It's too cool to just sell outright but I'm OK with translating it into something just as cool.
Any thoughts?

Here is my 1952 RC model. Tiger Jet.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:42 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
Well if I could find plans for a plane like that, matching the year of the engine like yours I'd build one and fly it!
That's totally cool!
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:49 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
1/. Pulse jets used to be illegal for free flight/RC

2/. They are a real fire hazard if they land on dry grass

3/. They are the noisiest engines ever fitted to a model that I know of.

4/. But heck, the mojave is only a few miles away from you, so why not ?

I think the ebay value of this might well be more than its worth to you. Its certaibnly a collectors piece.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:54 AM
Old Timer
Joined Apr 2001
3,864 Posts
What do you think the Ebay value might be? It is as in the picture sitting just behind me as I type, Nylon covered, one small rip in the right wing (shows in the picture). Wing span is 62 inches.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:31 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
What do you think the Ebay value might be? It is as in the picture sitting just behind me as I type, Nylon covered, one small rip in the right wing (shows in the picture). Wing span is 62 inches.
Airfrane nil, pulse jet? Dunno. More than $20, less than $200..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:32 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
You may appreciate this link ............. http://freespace.virgin.net/dyno.pow...ne/morenew.htm later and larger but the loudness can be seen .
Great looking model Condor shades of he French super Magistere and a long way ahead of time in many ways ..at first I thought it was like a Jetex type unit with a extension tube but as its the progeny of a V1 then its the great,great uncle of a Tomahawk cruise.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jul 24, 2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:04 PM
Old Timer
Joined Apr 2001
3,864 Posts
The Tiger Jet om my model is quite similar to the Dynajet but much smaller. It is rated at two pounds thrust, though I never measured it.