HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2001, 05:49 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2001
20 Posts
Focus III FM Question

I'm trying to choose a good radio system to buy. One is the Focus 3, I noticed it has a receiver capable of 4 channels. Has anyone tried changing the transmitter? The reason I ask is because I have an old system called the Digital Commander by Ace R/C. Though technicaly a three channel system, by minor modification it could easily handle 7-9 channels. It used PCM to do this. If this can't be done I may purchase the Airtronics VG400 but it's also a 4 channel system with a 7 channel receiver....
Digital Commander is offline Find More Posts by Digital Commander
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2001, 03:28 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
5,999 Posts
As Dr. Jet would say "Buy cheap, buy often!"
If you're going to stick this hobby out for a while, invest in a decent radio. The Focus III is a good starter radio but is very limited when you want to move up to more complex airplane setups. The only mod I know you can do to the Focus III which makes it more useful is this: http://www.12.45.56.6/~birdworks/focus.html
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2001, 11:28 PM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
For not much more than a Focus 3, you can get a Flash Four computer radio. Even though it is not as option loaded as some computer radios, it also is not as complicated either.
Plus nicads, charger, four channels, less than $150.00, you can't beat it, I love mine, and also have a junky Focus 3 AM, that never gets used due to glitches! Not worth sending back a $50.00 radio to get fixed! Lay down the extra $$$, you will like it!
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
Old May 24, 2001, 09:06 PM
Port Orford, Oregon, USA
Joined Mar 2001
161 Posts
Please allow me to sway you towards Hitec. You get a good radio with the Focus III.
You can have years of fun with it.
The Flash 4 or 5 would allow you to grow with the hobby. They have Buzzers and whistels you can use down the road.
Lots of lift Der Zip

Der Zip is offline Find More Posts by Der Zip
Old May 25, 2001, 12:16 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
I own 3 Focus III radios. I consider them "special project" radios. Projects that I want to have fun with but do not want to tie up my computer radios with become home to these little gems.

They have never let me down and have given great service. Couldn't live without them.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old May 25, 2001, 07:57 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
As AZ Chuck would say "buy cheap, have a lot"
I'm with BillM, I have two of the Focus III FM that match up with the feather and GWS receivers in a park flyer type plane so nice. It's a throw it in the car and fly anywhere setup.
How can anyone live with only one transmitter?? It's like saying I have one plane and been flying it for 5 years, how boring.
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck