HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:42 AM
Austria / Klagenfurt
Joined Oct 2000
148 Posts
Discussion
Queen Bee (flying wing) as an electric sailplane?

Hello!

I love flying wings and I would like to get a big one for soaring. I already own a "Ele Bee" which is a flying wing from windrider and I like it.

Now I'm considering to get the "Queen Bee" for the purpose of using it as an electric sailplane which can also do some acrobatics.

The "Queen Bee" is a flying wing with a wing span of 2,54 metres (100 inch) made out of EPP. More information can be found here:
http://www.windrider.com.hk/products/product.cfm?id=9

Has anyone of you experience with the Queen Bee as a sailplane? How is her soaring performance? Does she react well on thermics? Is she compareable to "real" electric sailplanes in this price range?

I'd love to hear something from a Queen Bee owner.

Many thanks,
Michael
Daneel is offline Find More Posts by Daneel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:45 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
I saw someone sloping a motorless QB, it flew really well, and in light lift. It wasn't very manueverable, so thermalling might be hard, but it has a great glide ration, espesially with a small, light motor/battery setup.
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:19 PM
Austria / Klagenfurt
Joined Oct 2000
148 Posts
Hi all,

many thanks for the info / confirmation.

It seems that as a glider the Queen Bee is supposed to have a flying weight of around 1,4 kg. Can an owner of it confirm this?

I was thinking about a brushless motor with 1,5kg thrust which weights about 150g - do you think this would be a good choice for this bird?

I also have an question in addition to that (in particular for Queen Bee owners): How much should my battery back (assumed that it is close to the nose) weight in order to balance the Bee at its CoG, taking into consideration the 150g motor?

Many thanks,
Michael
Old Jul 21, 2006, 05:30 PM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
I think that with brushless + lipos you could get it down to less than that, IMO it would fly much better if you put a smaller power system on it. I think Mega 16/15/4 + 2s TP2100 + 7x5 apce would be a nice 'sailplane' power setup. Maybe up the battery to 3s +2500mah if you want more 'oomph'.
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:21 PM
Austria / Klagenfurt
Joined Oct 2000
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minifly
I think that with brushless + lipos you could get it down to less than that ...
Are you sure? You can view a scan of the box label at windrider's homepage, and it says that the queen bee has a weight of 4 lbs...:
http://www.windrider.com.hk/products...-box_label.jpg

I was unsure what this refers to (box contents, queen bee in sailplane setup or queen bee with motor?)

What do yuo think?

All the best,
Michael