HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:26 PM
Dunedin, NZ
Joined Mar 2004
87 Posts
Discussion
Anti Vibration Engine Mount

Does anybody know if it essential to have a nose ring to support the front of the engine when using an anti vibration mount similar to the one detailed here?
Cheers
hyde engine mount
petert is offline Find More Posts by petert
Last edited by petert; Jul 21, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:56 AM
United States, CA, Tracy
Joined Feb 2004
163 Posts
What motor and what plane do you have?
It is fairly essential to use a nose ring IMO. Changes in thrust line. The extra beating on your airframe and servo's.
You don't have to get a hyde mount with nose ring. Just install one. It's pretty easy and they are cheap. Don't forget about the budd mount also. IMO I like it better.
www.buddengineering.com
Chris
patternguy is offline Find More Posts by patternguy
Old Jul 21, 2006, 05:51 AM
Dunedin, NZ
Joined Mar 2004
87 Posts
I have a GMS 120 with pipe to go in a Arestti III. It is my first 'real' pattern plane. I don't really get what the nose ring does or what it is fixed to.
I was going to make an engine mount as detailed on the web site linked above, not get a propper hyde mount. They are about the price of what I paid for the plane.
Any help greatly appriciated.
Cheers
petert is offline Find More Posts by petert
Old Jul 21, 2006, 07:59 AM
United States, CA, Tracy
Joined Feb 2004
163 Posts
I'm not sure how the engine is mounted in the arresti.
My current glow plane doesn't use a soft mount. Or a nose ring. It still fly's just fine. I just have to rebuild servo's often.
Chris
patternguy is offline Find More Posts by patternguy
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:03 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
885 Posts
Hyde builds his soft mounts several different ways. Some require nose rings and some don't. The ones that don't need a nose ring have a heavier and thicker rubber. Ola Fremming apparently thinks his mount requires a nose ring. The safest way would be to use a nose ring with this particular mount.

The purpose of a nose ring is to stop the engine from changing its thrust line as it torques or revs up. A 2-cycle has less torque than a four. You could try running your engine in the mount without a nose ring on the bench and see if the nose moves when you rev the engine up. With or without a nose ring, the engine will vibrate visibly around the crankshaft axis at certain speeds. If the engine nose starts rotating then you will need a ring. Don't stand in front of the engine when you try this. If the nose starts rotating, it could tear the mount apart.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Last edited by AWorrest; Jul 21, 2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Change info
Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:56 AM
mikedsilva
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
298 Posts
i am using a dave brown vibra damp rail mount system in a Excelleron 90 with a Saito 1.25.
this mount allows the motor to move around a lot and i must say it is a little unnerving to watch. However i cannot find anywhere that recommends the use of a nose ring in conjunction with this mount. It does seem to reduce any vibration to the servos and receiver; i guess its like mounting the motor in a big blob of stiff jelly....
mikedsilva is offline Find More Posts by mikedsilva