SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:43 PM
Joined Jul 2006
14 Posts
Help!
Replacing Blade CX aluminum head's inner shaft

I just had a nasty crash and need to replace the inner shaft for the aluminum head that the flybar and upper rotors attatch to. Can anyone tell me how to replace the inner shaft?

I know I sound stupid with something that is probably so obvious. Pleeeeeese help me!
ryancx is offline Find More Posts by ryancx
Last edited by ryancx; Jul 22, 2006 at 05:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:51 PM
Just call me crash.
Joined Jan 2006
1,308 Posts
1. Remove canopy and rear fuselage.
2a. Optional: remove landing skids (they pull right out) and battery holder. You can do it without this but it's easier. The battery holder is held in by 4 screws.
2b. remove two screws in the aluminum collar on the bottom gear. Slide collar and gear off shaft. Note that shaft has a flat side, you MUST get one of the screws on this flat spot on reassembly.
3. Slide entire inner shaft out from the top, taking care to not lose the bearing holder at the top of the outer shaft. If it falls off, simply press it back on.

Reverse for reassembly, but on reassembly make sure of a couple things:

1. The set screw holding the aluminum head on the shaft was loose when I got it. Back it out a little, put a drop of blue loctite on it, and snug it up good.
2. When you put the flybar and pitch control link in, make triple-sure that nothing binds, the flybar should hinge freely. Loctite the tiny screws here too.
3. See above about the flat spot on the bottom of the shaft, very important.
4. Don't over-tighten the screws in the collar on the bottom, the aluminum collar will strip easily. Tight, with a little locktite.
rocknbil is offline Find More Posts by rocknbil
Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:04 PM
Joined Jul 2006
14 Posts
I know that much; I just can't actually remove the inner shaft from the aluminum head! I have a replacement for the aluminum head so I know its possible. Thanks anyways
ryancx is offline Find More Posts by ryancx
Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:31 PM
cjg
"Pull up, pull up!"
Vermillion, SD
Joined Jan 2006
454 Posts
I was unable to get the set screw out, ruined the screw even with a high quality, hardened hex driver. Essentially ruined the whole thing. I've had to revert back to my plastic head until I replace it.

Someone suggested heating the whole head before trying to break it free. Good suggestion, do this before you try to remove the set screw - it will help break the locktite they use free.
cjg is offline Find More Posts by cjg
Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:48 PM
Infinitisqrd
Hilo, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2004
1,210 Posts
Unless something has changed recently, the aluminum head does NOT need to be removed from the shaft. The head is cast in place on the shaft, thus making the whole thing a one-piece affair.
I may well be wrong about this, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. Don't want to put out incorrect information. My friend bought a replacement alloy unit that was cast in place. Are there different manufacturers for these parts ?

Aloha, Steve
Steve Shepard is offline Find More Posts by Steve Shepard
Old Jul 21, 2006, 03:53 AM
Joined Aug 2005
46 Posts
a good tip for undoing loctited grub screws without heating the whole head up is to stick the tip of a soldering iron (softly) into the hex socket for a second or three. Softens loctite right up without toasting the whole assembly.
Spockie-Tech is offline Find More Posts by Spockie-Tech
Old Jul 21, 2006, 07:11 AM
Pleasant Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shepard
Unless something has changed recently, the aluminum head does NOT need to be removed from the shaft. The head is cast in place on the shaft, thus making the whole thing a one-piece affair.
I may well be wrong about this, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. Don't want to put out incorrect information. My friend bought a replacement alloy unit that was cast in place. Are there different manufacturers for these parts ?

Aloha, Steve
Yes, I have found the same with the replacement inner shaft assemblies I have seen and purchased. The rotor head assembly comes molded, glued, or screwed to the inner shaft.
helmutk is offline Find More Posts by helmutk
Old Jul 21, 2006, 01:09 PM
Joined Apr 2006
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutk
Yes, I have found the same with the replacement inner shaft assemblies I have seen and purchased. The rotor head assembly comes molded, glued, or screwed to the inner shaft.
Eflight has an aluminum head assembly, and spare shafts. I own this one:

Inner Shaft w/Aluminum Head/Hub: BCX $16.99 [EFLH1240]
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1240

Inner Shaft for Aluminum Head/Hub: BCX $3.99 [EFLH1241]
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1241

The aftermarket ones may come with the shaft cast in, but not the one's from Eflight/horizon.
manse is offline Find More Posts by manse
Old Jul 21, 2006, 02:35 PM
Pleasant Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manse
Eflight has an aluminum head assembly, and spare shafts. I own this one:

Inner Shaft w/Aluminum Head/Hub: BCX $16.99 [EFLH1240]
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1240

Inner Shaft for Aluminum Head/Hub: BCX $3.99 [EFLH1241]
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1241

The aftermarket ones may come with the shaft cast in, but not the one's from Eflight/horizon.
Yes the inner shaft is secured with a screw for both of the Aluminum head replacement parts but you can not order them separately.
The orginal equipment inner shaft with plastic head is molded in.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:53 PM
Joined Apr 2006
95 Posts
Well, you can order the set, [EFLH1240], then order just the shafts if you want [EFLH1241], which I have done.
manse is offline Find More Posts by manse
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:10 AM
Pleasant Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2005
290 Posts
Ahhh...OK manse, I see that Horizon Hobby is now offering just the inner shaft for their aluminum inner shaft/head upgrade. Sorry I miised that in your first post. Nice to know. The aluminum head upgrade is definitely worth it over the stock inner shaft/head assembly.