SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:12 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Discussion
Formoso kit bash or Speed Mosa 400

Here are some shots of my new and most favorite GWS plane that I designed myself with what I guess you could say are off the shelf components! Astro 010 brushless,8/6 prop that was worked to a higher pitch with a heat gun, and a 3 cell 1500 lipo. GWS naro receiver and three pico servos, one on the wing and two on the split elevator. The elevator parts are from an old A 10 rudder .The wing was cut in three and epoxied back together minus two triangle shaped roots of about 80 sum square inches. The trailing edge was also trimmed to resemble the trailing edge of the F 100.
The plane is fast for a geared motor, with plenty of climb. I love to just zoom around the sky at full thottle the whole time with this plane. Low, low passes are rock solid with the twin servo setup. Top speed in level flight is about 55-65 , just enough to keep up with the 25 and 40 size glow trainers at my field.I will try to post a video also.
billsmithjr is offline Find More Posts by billsmithjr
Last edited by billsmithjr; Aug 08, 2006 at 09:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2006, 02:13 AM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Cooooool!!!!
WATTSPD is offline Find More Posts by WATTSPD
Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:04 PM
Are you one of these
loveland colorado
Joined Nov 2003
399 Posts
nice job, a new twist on the old formosa\a10
rcboatnut is offline Find More Posts by rcboatnut
Old Aug 08, 2006, 01:01 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
The video is up in the video fourm. The plane has been redone now with a speed 400 stolen from a wattage power fan. Can you say o my god fast?check the video and don't blink! Could this be the worlds fastest GWS plane?
Would Mr Lin consider making kits? would people buy them? And where the hec is my GWS fighter jet, F 105 please!
Last edited by billsmithjr; Aug 08, 2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2006, 01:36 AM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Very Cool. F-86ish.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:49 PM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Flight test up date . Stall test are complete and the plane has no bad habits. Kill the throttle and feed in full up elevator and she just mushes threw without any wing drop or even nose drop . Full up and no throttle produces a very slow flat decent with full roll control intact. Completely unexpected! The video is up in the video forum.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:10 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,341 Posts
I suppose you had to move the CG back to cope with the wing sweep? Did you have to relocate stuff to any strange places in the fuselage?

edit:
RE: post below. there is another video here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=feed+need
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Last edited by perttime; Jan 10, 2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:56 AM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
This video thread. Edit: sadly the video has been deleted now.

Seems fast enough , looks good.
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Last edited by DarkHorse; Jan 09, 2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:03 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Thanks for posting the link button for me DarkHorse. I can build planes and fly them but I'm one of those people who can't program the VCR or use a computer. Took me two years just to find out how to post a picture here! Very not tecno savy!
The Cg is located about 1 cm infront of the switch on the port side, you should be able to see this in the Photos. When the astro 010 came out so did the switch so now there is just an emty slot. The 3s 2100 lipo is mounted diagonaly on velcro as far back in the upper compartment as possible. A threaded rod with a blind nut jamed backwards on one end goes threw the lid and into another blind nut mounted under the compartment floor. This holds the lid down and the battery in! I removed about .5 cm of foam from the rear shelf edge where the servos are mounted to make it fit. Also, about 2 cm of nose section was removed to compensate for the speed 400's wieght. A Blue core plank 12 mm thick was used to seal the lower fire wall around the motor stick. The motor sits way back on the stick very close to the fire wall( sorry no pics cause the cowl is glued on and only comes off for maintenence ) I 'm also running about 1 or 2 degrees of up thrust and two degrees right. The up will come out as the CG is moved back.
I'm checking the other forums for ways to up the power. Cheapest upgrade so far seems to be the prop. after that I start looking at motors. Any body good with this doppler speed indicator progam care to read the speed for me?
I'm looking into it now but very tecno not savy!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:44 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Nice job !! One of the coolest 'Mosa mods yet.

Explaine more about how you cut the wings to shape. I may have to order a SG Formosa now.

You still using the 8inch prop? I can here it vibrating in the video !! hehe
Try a smaller prop for speed. That thing would really rip with a hot brushless setup !!

Spar
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Last edited by sparrow1717; Aug 23, 2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:35 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
ya , slope version must be really cheap, maybe only 30 bucks! To cut the wings first put them on the plane, now saw them off flush with the fuse sides. This creates your new wing center . Cut very carefully straight and true 90 degrees straight up, very important this cut be right, you only get one chance! I use a knife like in the pic, doesn't try to wander during the cut ,and is not like a saw but actually slices. With gentle presure it will cut threw in 3 slices.
Now with a ruler located on the airleron hing line measure 12 inches from wing tip and mark the spot at the hing line. On the leading edge measure a quarter inch from the root and make a mark. connect both marks with a straight line, not easy over the wings curved surface! Cut straight and true as before, the wing has no deheidrel. Repeat for the other side and check how they match each other and mate with the roots . Sand wings to match center and each other if neccesary. The incedence is the same when glue them back together. The wheel marks should be equal to the center sections
leading edge. more tomorrow!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:25 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
I wounder the camera make still OK after the RED Jet flew over his head?
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:54 PM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Ya, I was wondering too! sorry no time today. Tommorow I'll explain how to finish the wing
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:37 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Ok , you have cut and sanded per instruction. Your wings should mate flat and tight with the center section, producing no dehiedrel. Also check that the sweep on both sides is the same. Before joining the wings we will trim the trailing edge to a more pleasing shape. The width of the airlereons was reduced to about half at the tip and is about an eighth of an inch wider at the mid way point than at the tip, from there a gentle curve is described until it meets flush with the root ( right where the original tailing edge was is where the cut ends at the root. Sorry I cant be more precise. Join the pieces with 15 min. epoxy one piece at a time. Let the first side set before you do the other side. You don't need to get epoxy back where the airlerons are but is ok if you do, you will saw them free later. Use my pics for reference. Tommorow we will cut the airlerons free and install the linkage.
Old Sep 01, 2006, 12:27 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
cut tork rods one inch shorter,bevel the airlerons ,follow the pics, I'll post more soon!