SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
793 Posts
Actually, my FB nakedtim has a p-51.... We've been trying to do scale'ish combat, but both of these planes are so overpowered there's nothing remotely scale about it.... Still truckloads of fun, though!!!

The E-flite park 370 (1080Kv) I have on the front of mine is about a 1/2 ounce heavier than most cd rom motors, but easily flies the crap out of this plane with the right prop... Might be worth looking into!!

Edit: Well, I've since found that that motor with a 3 cell 550 and an 8x3.8 APC SF is the real jackpot.... Really makes the 2 cell look like weaksauce in comparison. And just for laughs, my lovely camera girl came out and did some video of me flying last night. Feel free to laugh, I don't claim to be a great pilot for a (soon to be obvious) reason!!!

Video 1

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...nt=Blu1091.flv

Video 2

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...nt=Blu1092.flv
jonesymj is offline Find More Posts by jonesymj
Last edited by jonesymj; May 05, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:35 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
I lost the prototype today. Had a good flight on a 3 cell, then not thinking I adjusted the aileron trim while changing batteries. On the 2nd launch she rolled right into the ground, shattering the front end. It's time for a new build anyway.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Jun 10, 2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2007, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
video

Reports of the prototype's demise were premature! I was about to strip the electronics out and thought, 'what the heck', and amputated the fuselage from the wing's leading edge forward. A few minutes and some gorilla glue and she has a new lease on life! I do love foam.

Here's a short video of her from last weekend:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...34#post7731218

Next on tap is some carbon fiber to strengthen the wings.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:03 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Requests have come in for more 109's ...getting the temps out ... Was thinking about a simple KF airfoil , and a slight amount of dihedral , just to make it easy to fly ...Oughta' make some of Gene's 51's to chase them around... might as well open a factory ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:41 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
Good timing Glen! I am building one for our warbirds fly-in on the 19th. My plan is a 1/4" step at 50% cord on top. Maybe a thin strip of foam backed by the spar. Still researching what the angle of incidence should be for the KF. Was thinking of asking Tony55x65 about it since the Blu-Baby KF gets good reports. What do you think about this plan?

It's going to be tan w/sky blue on the bottom and white trim. May or may not have the desert mottling. The blue wonder works well in these, but on this one I'm going to try the BP2408-21 for more get up and go.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:12 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Wow , I was figuring the blue motor would give us more power than the cd motors we were using... new 1500kv blue is a rocket ... ought to pull these pretty fast , eh ...
I'm following "the plans" even with a KF ... worked in the past ... I'll put mine on the bottom for better low speed handling /stall recovery...@ 40 % ... that way , we can compare results ... I'll get back with some specs so we can arrive at similar weights ... Heck , I can always ballast UP ... hahahahahahaha
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:18 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
Good plan. I didn't play much with propping on the blue wonder. Initially found that the 8060 slow-flyer worked pretty well so that's where I kept it. I can build w/a blue wonder while we run the comparisons, then retrofit the 21 at another time.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:22 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Cool !!! I'll probably have to build several at one time for FB's with "not enough time " etc. They all should be identical , so maybe we can do both , or none .. for even more data
Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:01 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
*raises hand* ooh me! me! me!

As it is... my buddy who came out on Sunday went home and we ordered him a new radio, batteries, chargers, etc. with a few extras here and there to get started... He hasn't flown in 8 years or so and that was nitro/balsa... His brother who is also a very good pilot (but also hasn't flown in years) couldn't believe when my buddy was relaying all the information today while they were working together...

He (my buddy's brother) picked up a bundle of green-guard on his way home from work and is going to be 'free-handing' some planes (24" biplane), 30-36" something else... Can't believe how cheap and easy this is after all those years of crashing sticks.

Should prove to be a fun time...

-ms
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:14 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Ok, Ok ... you're on the list
Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:26 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
ooh!!! I wanna G(ene)-51 so I can chase Mark (the new guy) around the field and shoot him down!

-ms
Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:48 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I'm sure he'll appreciate that
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:13 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
I'll give him two batteries experience before I bother him... He probably won't need that though... He really is a 'very' good pilot... I think once he knocks the rust off, and is able to fly on mode 1 again (radio shipped today ) I think it'll be different...

gotta run...

-ms
Old Aug 07, 2007, 06:06 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Good pilot... a rarity at our field maybe he can safely hover over your truck....hahahahahaha
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:24 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
My 109

Here's my 109-couldn't maiden today due to very poor weather so I painted it instead.! Just for a bit of fun, but if it flies anything like my Blu P-51 it is based on, it will be great.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye