HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:55 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,183 Posts
Kdah , I think you've got the right combination , noticed more wing chord /area than my version .... that alone should make a big difference... I must build one of yours ....
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:38 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
GPW,

That's great - I would love to have someone with more experience than I build and report on how it flies. I'm pretty happy with mine now that I switched to the 8x6 prop. It needed the speed. I can't take credit for the combination though - the 109 is just Gene's P-51 in drag!
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Aug 25, 2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:13 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,183 Posts
Flight report:

The nice looking #2 109 went to our FB GDog... He installed a bigger motor (cd wasn't gonna' cut it ) , 3s 12oo and flew the heck out of it this past Sunday ...Flew great except for a slight tucking problem in high speed dives .... I explained that a slight airfoil would help and possibly a cg change(It's a flattie')...All other maneuvers were FINE and the little bit of Dihedral ...1/2" each tip ...made it fly like it was on rails ... profile looked lean and mean in the air ...I guess the next one will have an airfoil ... The story continues ....

Kdah... might have to build yours especially for the cd , being smaller than this one (40") That would be COOL !!!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:50 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
GPW, Great - would love to hear from you how it flies. I've been away from planes the last few weeks ( getting married next weekend ), but I had been working on some pilots for the 109:
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:21 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,183 Posts
Cool Pilots !!!! another TWO Me 109's are scheduled(building board) ... One yours .... and one mine with an airfoiled wing (GeneBond 4%)and dihedral ... should be as stable as a Parkflyer Pete when we finish ....... Busy Busy ...
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:45 PM
Insert comment here:
Placentia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
1,026 Posts
Congrats kdahlhaus
Sweet looking plane..
So many planes to build so lil time…
totalywicked is offline Find More Posts by totalywicked
Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:42 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,183 Posts
After much testing, I offer this opinion ..... We believe that that crutch on the fuselage sides really does have some negative effects on airflow over the rudder at high AoA... The simple Profiles , braced with skewers, ended UP flying much better than the crutch(Shocky, Flatout, etc. etc.)versions , AND we also believe that the crutch assembly also adds to the dreaded "Frontal Area"... inhibiting turning and handling ... At this point , I don't believe I'm going to be making any more fuse crutches.... and I might have to re-visit some old designs that I had trouble with (crutched) and see if a simple profile would work better ...more building is in order!!!
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
It'd be nice to have a difinitive conclusion. Glad to absorb anything you can pass along!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:58 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,183 Posts
Gene , I can't wait to build yet another 4S without the crutch , and see the difference....
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:40 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
The original has gotten a bit heavy and loose after many crashes and repairs. I'm about ready to scrap it, but I thought I'd snap a couple of photos before she gets recycled.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,183 Posts
Gosh , you got a couple months outta' the airframe ... That's pretty good .... still doesn't look that bad ...
Old Apr 04, 2007, 12:48 AM
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
802 Posts
Well, Mine flew tonight.... So I'll try to make my first online flight report really short.....

Details: Built it right to the plan, rolled the undercamber in with a warm aluminum tube, slotted a peice of 1x3 carbon into the underside, just in case. LAR, I believe you'd call it... Used a Eflite 1080kv park 370, Phoenix 9, 550mAH 2cell, blue arrow 6gr servos, gws 9gm 6ch reciever. All up about 9 ounces...

Flight 1: Using an APC 9x4.7sf.... And tail heavy!! Wanted to climb like a but was still roll stable. I put it down after 1 lap of the field to re-adjust. Motor working well, this is it's first flight too, not too impressed with the power so far though. If you have a good prop/batt combo for this motor, chime in please!!

Flight 2: Same prop.... This was better... Finally got a chance to just fly it, took a bit of trimming, of course.... But 3 or 4 laps of the park I was feeling this plane, and getting happy with it... A roll here, loop there.... Really wanted to get a good rolling climb, but I'm still not getting enough jam out of this motor. Flew the pack out anyway, as it flies nicely just like it is... Got about 8 minutes on this pack...

Flight 3: FSK 9070 3 blade, fresh pack. Oh come on!!! It looks more 109'ish with a 3 blade!! And, in fact, flew much more 109'ish as well. The speed was there, and the climbout power was as well... Cranked it around the park for around 10 minutes, starting to get dark, and I lose orientation and put it in the trees... !!!

Turns out, no damage save some scratched paint. Was going to fly it back, but the pack had pretty much run out, as I had been ragging on it with the three blade. Really flies well with it, though!!

Afterthought: I need to find a better prop/battery combo for this motor. It just has to be better than it seems. Mine turns just fine, though, in spite of the crutch. Gonna try a bigger esc. Also have APC 10x4.7sf , 9x4.5e and 10x5e arriving shortly, amd I still haven't tried a 3 cell on it yet, although the 3cell 550mAH pack I have is gonna bring me up to 9.6 all up. If it lights the motor up, though, I guess it's worth it.

Wow.... What a tome.... Oh well, if you read this far

BUILD ONE ALREADY!!!

I'm thrilled with mine ... I'll post pics when I'm done painting it.

Thanks a ton to kdah, and genebond for a really fun plane!!
jonesymj is offline Find More Posts by jonesymj
Last edited by jonesymj; Apr 04, 2007 at 12:55 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 08:00 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
GB recommends a 15 turn / 24gauge cd motor with an 8040 prop. I fly mine with a 15t/25 gauge motor from jskrebs and a 8060 on 2 cells - still getting comfortable with ailerons. Alway s playing around with the props too. The 3 blade is an interesting idea. There's a master airscrew 6x4 on the way for the Stuka, I'll give it a go on the 109 as well.

Anway, glad you like it. Looking forward to see some photos when you're done.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
802 Posts
Okay, so the way things are going I'm probably never going to get the paint finished... So I won't bother with the pics... That's the bad news.

The good news is I found the right combo to make that motor sing!! The (now broken) 10x4.7 apc SF was really the ticket for this motor. Just stoopid amounts of go in this thing now... Enough to accelerate into a 20kmh wind, while climbing. I guess I'll try the APC E 10x5, as I can't get another 10x4.7 easily around here...

As I said before, this plane really rocks, and has become my "Trunk Monkey", if I'm leaving the house, this things in the trunk, just in case. Awesome fying plane, and quite crash worthy as well.... Mine's scarred up already, but still flies like a champ.

Build one, you won't regret it!!
jonesymj is offline Find More Posts by jonesymj
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Heh heh - trunk monkey. Very cool. Makes me want to purchase something a little better than a generic cdrom. The prototype needs some attention or perhaps it's time for a rebuild. Glad you're having some fun with it. Time to find some Mustangs to chase.