HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:08 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
gpw,

That makes sense. I don't know enough about these things yet to say for sure. Mine was built without rudder, so the crutch didn't affect the performance.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Flew the plane with the 15 turn / 25 gauge CDR motor I mentioned earlier and with a GWS 8x60 slow flyer prop. WOW! It is a new plane. Flew so well, enough thrust to get out of trouble, slows way down, goes fast when you gun it. This is definately the prop/motor combo for me. Grinning ear to ear - except for a pucker when I almost lost it into some high trees.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:33 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,159 Posts
Here's my progress so far ... pics
I always go to GeneBond for motor consultations... True !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Aug 17, 2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:05 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Those look great!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:21 AM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
gpw, great airbrush-finish. looking really good!

BTW: i don't want to get political, but here in germany the use of the sfastica is prohibited for a very good reason for it represented the most inhumane and barbarous regimes in the history of mankind. i'm always very concerned to see how carefree you guys over the pond make use of such symbols for scale looks...just my 2c.
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:15 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,159 Posts
Just "scale " We don't even hint at supporting such a thing .... just History and used as such...all the old reference pics have it ... it is only a symbol , and actually one that I believe is originally Chinese, as I have a very old scroll with it .... long before the present "association ".... Not casual by any means , and since I am of German descent , I'm particularly affected...
and as my scale buddy pointed out ...backwards...on my #1 ???? No Offence , just representing a certain type of plane in a certain time in History ....If I painted it pink with stars , it just wouldn't look right, now would it ...???
All War is HORRID !!!!! any representation of such times should be presented at full value , so no one forgets and makes the same mistake again ...Hopefully ....
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:16 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
don't get me wrong Glen, of course no mentaly sane person would support such ideologies. but it is a bit awkward for us (here) to see "toys" carrying those signs. we are very sensitive on that matter and feel it is being belittled in that context.
the "Balkenkreuz" with the camo alone would be sufficient for scaleness for our taste.

oh and by the way, if you are out for more "scale look" you have to reverse the direction of the "sign" on the plane in the foreground

OK, OK, matter finished now i would say....
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Last edited by chara; Aug 18, 2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:26 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,159 Posts
If it offends any one of you I will be glad to obscure it....scale only goes so far on a profile model anyway .... consider it done ...
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:05 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Glenn leave it .. all of us on the zone know what a caring and giving soul you are .. if someone is offended then it is a hangup they should deal with.. All My planes all get Historically Scale and Correct Decals and Graphics ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:14 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,159 Posts
Once again , I find myself "on the fence"....
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:41 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Sorry glenn i shouldnt have put it like that .. ya have to do what your heart tells ya .. and ignore what any of us say ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:07 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Political Hot Potato... Or is it Potatoe? Tomato/Tomatoe? Sheesh, Apples/Oranges? or really, Plums/Prunes ... Yea, that's the ticket!

Anyway, I can understand the offense that some would feel, just as many are offended by the CSA flag. For me, I'd draw the line at Satanic symbols, but then again, my heritage is slightly less bloody than many! Again, no offense intended, and not to insinuate that anyone's ancesters were any more or less brutal or victimized than another. Heck, we may all be related to the same couple or ape, anyway, depending on your theory!

Game on, Garth!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:07 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,159 Posts
Well,to put it bluntly , my 109 doesn't really fly that well anyhow .... I could use some airfoil instead of a Flattie, the stab could be bigger , it is really a bit large for my cd motors..some dihedral for stability ....but it does roll nice and fly slow ...
How does the "other" one work ...?????
Back to the building board ...
As far as the decorations are concerned... being an Artist for most of my life , I've found out that given long enough , I'm bound to rub somebody the wrong way ...
Question is , what if they had won ???? Then some other symbol would be deemed offensive .... kinda' all how you look at it .... Like how everyone else looks at us and thinks we all think the same , but we're not , and here , we can't seem to agree on anything ...except that our current leaders(?) seem to be following "historical figures" in thinking that Power is everything, even at the expense of the rights of it's citizens ..and despite our disapproval ...

and the way things are going , the plane and our rights will be soon stuck Up a tree....
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:26 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Mine flies fine - can't really say how it flies compared to other aileron plans as I'm still learning to fly with ailerons. The only other aileron plane I've flown is the printed P-40. This one is faster and a bit twitchier. I had a bit of dihedral in the P-40.

The only substantial difference from Gene's Blu-51cd is the location of the horizontal stabilizer. On the Me-109 it is much higher. I wanted to deviate from the Blu-51 as little as possible, but it just didn't seem right to have the 109 with a very low hstab. What affect would we expect the higher hstab to have on the flight characteristics?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,159 Posts
probably not much really , as long as the incidence was the same ...