HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2006, 06:09 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,442 Posts
Discussion
Blu-109 - a FFF ME-109

With some help from Gene, I modified his Blu-51cd P-51 to create a ME-109. It flies great, which is no surprise as the control surface size and location is pretty much identical to that of the Blu-51.

It's an easy build - I left the skin on, rounded the leading edges and tempered the wings with a heat gun. There's a single skewer bracing the wing. Ailerons and elevator are taped on with a single layer of packing tape. Hot glue for everything except the control horns. The horizontal stabilizer is one piece. I attached one of the elevators, glued the stabilizer in place, then attached the other elevator and glued a *bucks coffee stirrer across the elevators ( you want to remove the blue-skin where the stirrer contacts the foam ).

All build information on the Blu-51 ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=blu+51 ) applies to this plane as well.

Edit:

newbie125 posted a great video of his blu-109. His 109 starts 1:16 into the video.

jonesymj posted some video in post #61 of this thread.

there's also a short video in the Airplanes - electric videos forum.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Mar 05, 2009 at 04:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:28 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Beautiful Job!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:36 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,442 Posts
Thanks Gene. It was a lot of fun.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:42 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Kdahlhaus, post the plans in this thread and some more info on the build and then I'll put them in the list so that we don't overlap into Gene's thread.

JAM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:54 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,985 Posts
Kdah ... NICE!!! and using Gene's parameters , you know it will fly well ...super idea !!!.... I want to do a FW190 in this manner....You guys are the best !!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 20, 2006, 07:10 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,442 Posts
A FW would be very nice - those P-51's need planes to chase.

A Stuka built to these specs with a wing like Jerbear's Corsair and the hobby-lobby bomb drop unit would be a hoot too.

I worked from a bitmap file of Gene's P-51 plans that was exported from Adobe Acrobat. The export produced a file with a resolution of 200 DPI. The large size bogged down the machine so that any change took forever and gave the hard drive a workout. Near the end I learned I could resample the image down to 50 dpi and it sped up considerably. The loss of resolution doesn't matter for our purposes. Next time it might be better to trace the plans into a vector drawing program.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 07:14 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,985 Posts
Stuka Stuka Stuka Stuka.... Oughta' be FUN !!! Watch those skinny tips though ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:00 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
284 Posts
nice looking plane.

there's nothing like scale FFF... with scale sharpie details... it doesn't get any better.

I think a stuka would be pretty nice but those gull-like wings won't look very good.

Could you post a non-tiled version? some of us have frickin' huge printers.
Thanks.
mikeythev is offline Find More Posts by mikeythev
Old Jul 21, 2006, 08:20 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,442 Posts
Give the full-size PDF a try - I think it converted ok. 24"x32" paper size. The bottom wing shown on the plan should measure 15".

KD
Old Jul 21, 2006, 02:43 PM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
Soon as I finish converting TMux's Avanger I'm planning on a print version of this plane. I've the orgional files thanks to Kdahlhaus and hope to start on it next week. Full graphics print to be glued to the foam.
Similar to what I did with the P40 here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=275
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Jul 21, 2006, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,442 Posts
MyDigitalParadis,

That will be great - I'm looking forward to them, especially if they come out anywhere as nice as the P-40 prints did.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:30 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Hey all I forgot to get back to ya', the plane has been added to the Free plans list....# 65. Kdahlhaus let me know when you come up with anything else.

JAM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Jul 31, 2006, 09:48 PM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Check out my baby. Well, my brother's anyway.

As usual I am dragged into building planes for my family or my friends or some guy off the street that happened to say he liked what I build. Anyway, this is my second WWII plane out of foam (First was full fuse. Prettier but oh so much more work.) and guys they really did hit the mark with the simple A/E/T shocky type planes. I took a little too long to build this and it still only took about 5-6 hours over two evenings. There are only two things I would do differently on this plane. I wouldn't give it to Pete by brother until I have had the chance to actually airbrush some kind of design or use magic markers. (Iron cross from an old Lite-Stick was lying around so we slapped it on.) The other thing is I would totally change the landing gear. Landing gear totally rocks and I think almost every plane should have it but I really underbuilt this one and it flexes too much even at an all up weight of 7.5 oz.

Also, you can enjoy seeing the crappy project I am working on in the background. Yep, I am putting in a stone fireplace. It is beautiful but I NEVER, want to do it again.

Thanks again for the plans Kdahlhaus.

Salter
Salter is offline Find More Posts by Salter
Old Aug 01, 2006, 08:08 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,442 Posts
Looking good - those wheels add a lot to the looks of the plane.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 08:12 AM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Hehe, yeah although to me it feels totally wrong. I need to at the very least put on some scale looking wheel pants.

Salter
Salter is offline Find More Posts by Salter