HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Parkfliers.coms' Edge 540T Full Fuselage Foamie 3D ARF Review

Alex Neigher reviews the Parkfliers.com Edge 540T, and finds it to be an awesome entry level 3D aerobat.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:36.6 in."
Wing Area:70.47 sq. in.
Weight:19 oz.
Length:33.1 in."
Wing Loading:42.7 oz/sq. ft.
Servos:9 Gram Micro (3Pcs)
Transmitter:F.M. 4 Channel on 72MHz Band
Receiver:6ch mini receiver.( Name not specified)
Battery:11.1 volt 1800 MAH Lithium polymer
Motor:Brushless Outrunner-1000KV
ESC:Sensorless 18 Amp
Manufacturer:ParkFlyersRC
Available From:ParkFlyers.com

For quite some time now I have been yearning to fly 3D acrobatics, but I couldn't find the time to get all the necessary electronics together to get one flying. The Edge 540T from ParkFlyers.com is my one-way ticket into the fun and exciting world of 3D acrobatics. Its very complete nature and awesome handling makes it a dream for a first time 3D pilot, or a seasoned pro looking for some fun in a small package.

Kit Contents

Assembly

Since this is a ready-to-fly kit, there is minimal building time needed.

Wing

There is nothing to do here but admire the nice install of the servo with linkages that come hooked up for you. One of the major downers of shipping a plane is the risk of damage en route. There is evidence of that here on the wing, but it was an easy fix. A bit of adhesive spray and it's good as new.

Fuselage

The fuselage was essentially completed for me!

Tail

Upon opening the box I found a vertical tail with a HUGE rudder (awesome for 3D aero.) and a horizontal tail that is nothing but an inch or so. The rest is just a HUGE elevator. Before attaching the two tails, I had to push the tail feathers into the rear of the fuselage. Care must be taken here because too much pressure will fold the parts. For me, they wiggled right in place very nicely. I slid on the clevises, clipped them on, and the back end was ready for action!

Flying

The first flight of the Edge took place on a calm morning down at my High School's track. After completing a successful range check, I set the Edge on the "runway" and took a few steps back. After a few deep breaths I let her rip. I punched in full throttle and The Edge shot down the runway, requiring a tad of right rudder. 15 feet later she lifted off and began to climb like a rocket.

A few clicks of down and 2 clicks of left and I had a sweet flying ship. A few passes to get the feel of the plane and I gave it full aileron for a quick series of rolls...slightly off-axis but nothing serious. Not wanting to push my maiden's luck, I brought her in for a quick landing to let my fried brain cool down.

Due to the light weight of this plane it is very important to land INTO the wind. I brought the prop down to a fast idle and the Edge entered a nice descent onto the track's surface. Just before touchdown I cut power to minimize the risk of a prop strike and she made contact. A quick roll out and we had a completed first flight. After checking my time I noticed I still had a few minutes of battery left to try some aerobatics.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

My first maneuver I was planning to try was a simple hovering. Like almost all planes, it enters the hover quite nicely. I went ahead, feeling confident and tried some high altitude hovering. I was a little surprised at the need of almost full up and full power constantly to remain in a hovering position. Once I figured this out, I was able to get a few decent 10-15 second hovers before the plane would roll sharply left and pitch down, falling out of the hover. I believe this is caused by: the factory CG being too far forward, the plane's thrust to weight ratio is not quite enough.

On the contrary, harriers and Inverted harriers are a ton of fun and very simple to accomplish.

Wanting to get as many different aerobatics into my flight as possible, I pushed ahead. Hammer heads are awesome to the left with a lot of rudder authority at the top but lacking to the right. It feels like there might be some differential in the rudder throw. Knife-edge flight was also weak. There is not enough rudder authority on both sides to pitch the nose high enough to sustain forward flight. Snap rolls, both left and right, are very fun and quick.

Inverted flight:ARequires very little down stick and maintains speed well.
Rolls:AFast and crisp. Not A+ material because they aren't perfectly axial.
High Alpha Flight:B+There is noticeable "wing waggle" when flying slow high A.
Harriers:A-Same with High Alpha, noticeable wing waggle, but still very nice looking.
Hovering:B-It is very hard to maintain the hovering position and requires full up and full power
Snap rolls:A+Fast and clean.
Spins:B+Spins are nice but I cannot provoke it enough to get a tumble.
Over all:A-Fun first time aerobatic experience.

Is This For a Beginner?

I would say that this plane is not for the 1st time modeler, but for a pilot who has had a few hours of low wing stick time. It's very sensitive controls are a bit unforgiving in flight and can cause for a high pilot workload if you are not expecting things before they happen. Aside from that, a pilot who has had some flying time will find this a nice plane with smart handling characteristics for an entry level 3D plane.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Wanting to push the envelope I headed down the end of my street for a "less" appropriate flying location (Dirt runway, small airspace)...

Downloads

Conclusion

Over all I would say that this is an awesome ENTRY LEVEL 3D plane. Its limited aerobatic ability makes it possible for someone stepping up from a less aerobatic bird to feel right at home. On the down side, its lack of real 3D capabilities will disappoint those who "know what they are doing".

Discussion

Old Dec 06, 2006, 01:21 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,116 Posts
You may wish to edit the video and put the correct web site address on there this time and not that of one of their biggest rivals. Yet again, leave it as it is
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Dec 06, 2006, 02:55 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
ive only seen one other online review of this plane. i thank the author of this article for pointing out the biggest shortcoming this plane has.. lack of power to hover or really do any compitent 3D. its not a bad plane if you invest in a better motor and rest of gear.. but its a rtf so it should atleast be able to hover since its claimed to be 3D ready. i really like the pictures on the box.. especially on the sides where the plane is shown hovering a couple feet off the ground.. id really like to see the video of that flight ? the website listed in video is fine.. id leave it in video.. for the money the typhoon is a lot more fun and does live up to the manufacturers claims.. you can also get parts for it in just about any shop or order parts and get them fairly quick and its a fairly durable plane/back to the plane being reviewed... a 450 outrunner or a geared inrunner set up will make the edge come alive.. requires some modification and investment but it solves the hovering problem.. i could point out quite a bit of short comings the plane has but ive pointed out the biggest one... cheap brushless that lacks power for the plane its in. feel free to ask questions.. i did quite a bit of flying with the plane.. had it over a year. i also put quite a bit of time and money in it to get it to fly better for 3D and be more fun.. i have pics etc for anyone looking to swap out motors. thanks for the video and nice flying.. i know how difficult the plane is to fly low with any confidence do to its low power and lower qaulity gear.

Video with edge in it as well as other planes: http://media.putfile.com/Just-Fly

Much more recent video with typhoon which does what it claims out of the box: http://media.putfile.com/Just-Fly-v2-Compolation-Video
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2006, 03:43 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real
ive only seen one other online review of this plane. i thank the author of this article for pointing out the biggest shortcoming this plane has.. lack of power to hover or really do any compitent 3D. its not a bad plane if you invest in a better motor and rest of gear.. but its a rtf so it should atleast be able to hover since its claimed to be 3D ready. i really like the pictures on the box.. especially on the sides where the plane is shown hovering a couple feet off the ground.. id really like to see the video of that flight ? the website listed in video is fine.. id leave it in video.. for the money the typhoon is a lot more fun and does live up to the manufacturers claims.. you can also get parts for it in just about any shop or order parts and get them fairly quick and its a fairly durable plane/back to the plane being reviewed... a 450 outrunner or a geared inrunner set up will make the edge come alive.. requires some modification and investment but it solves the hovering problem.. i could point out quite a bit of short comings the plane has but ive pointed out the biggest one... cheap brushless that lacks power for the plane its in. feel free to ask questions.. i did quite a bit of flying with the plane.. had it over a year. i also put quite a bit of time and money in it to get it to fly better for 3D and be more fun.. i have pics etc for anyone looking to swap out motors. thanks for the video and nice flying.. i know how difficult the plane is to fly low with any confidence do to its low power and lower qaulity gear.

Video with edge in it as well as other planes: http://media.putfile.com/Just-Fly

Much more recent video with typhoon which does what it claims out of the box: http://media.putfile.com/Just-Fly-v2-Compolation-Video
I agree with everything that Get Real says. I've yet to see a video of the Edge doing 3D that the stock Typhoon can do. For a start off, I've yet to see the Edge doing a 'true' hover, with the plane hanging straight down from the prop. If someone can show me such footage then I'll gladly watch it thanks.

For now, mine's staying under the bench unless I decide to trash the airframe.
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Dec 06, 2006, 04:07 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
How do you get to review stuff for this website, do you offer or does one of the mods ask you to?
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Dec 06, 2006, 04:12 PM
No warning points today!!
Hixson, TN
Joined May 2005
645 Posts
I'm being picky, but it is an RTF plane not an ARF. RTF planes have all radio gear included, ARF planes have little to no radio gear included (the most you get is a cheap brushed motor in some ARF kits)
flyingace451 is offline Find More Posts by flyingace451
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:25 PM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdudeuk
I agree with everything that Get Real says. I've yet to see a video of the Edge doing 3D that the stock Typhoon can do. For a start off, I've yet to see the Edge doing a 'true' hover, with the plane hanging straight down from the prop. If someone can show me such footage then I'll gladly watch it thanks.

For now, mine's staying under the bench unless I decide to trash the airframe.
ditto,still fly mine once a week and have managed to rack up some 60 or 70 flights it does some spectacular crashes but in all fairness the plane does repair well and standard stuff its okay at. but i really notice the lack of power anytime you prop down from a 12x6 or u get a little cute with it,still even when its trimmed i am reluctant to get her down on the deck still a might squirrelly,will eventually do a motor mod thinking a tpro 2409-18 might do it and put it on the lazer 6 tone it down abit and she might fly well ,but like its been stated u get all that and then some with the tyhpoon pnp.
deadstik3 is offline Find More Posts by deadstik3
Old Dec 07, 2006, 03:34 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Quote:
I'm being picky, but it is an RTF plane not an ARF. RTF planes have all radio gear included, ARF planes have little to no radio gear included (the most you get is a cheap brushed motor in some ARF kits)
My point exactly/the plane itself has a lot of potential for more expierenced pilots and it would be nice to see it offered as an arf. i expressed this to parkflyers last year as well as shared all the modifications i did to mine. manufacturers watch the forums.. the 330L now being offered does incorporate a lot of what myself and others did to make the plane more enjoyable. dont get me wrong.. i liked the plane a lot it floated fairly well/flew pattern type flying well and could 3D fairly well... all these atributes having come after adding better gear. as a package it left quite a bit to be desired.. and im fairly easy to please when it comes to these planes. id really like to pick up another one.. but only as an arf. theres another company with a similarly designed yak id like to try as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts
How disapointing is this plane! Underpowered, Toy quality. All the stickers applied looked like a cheap toy. I removed most of them due all them pealing off. The foam used for the fuse is very brittle. On the 2nd landing I had a simple tip over. It broke the prop and cracked the front wing retainer. The unit that I bought claimed to have the newer gold motor installed , but that was not the case. The hobby store gave me my money back and I bought a Hobby Lobby Hot Rod .. Hacker Motor .. 2100 lipo.. all Hitec electronics.. This is the real deal!!
frankeldan is offline Find More Posts by frankeldan
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:26 PM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
Another Oak Park RCer!

Where do you fly? Ever at Deerhill park?
The L is offline Find More Posts by The L
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:29 PM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
I just saw your username... your first name wouldn't happen to be Alex would it? If so I'm pretty sure you were in the same MCMS band class I was in...

I thought Oak Park only had slopers. I didn't realize anyone was flying electrics around here. We have to get together sometime.

Edit: Ugh, time to trash all of my FM receivers. You aren't on channel 46 are you?
The L is offline Find More Posts by The L
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2009
2 Posts
Edge 540T V2, Brushless LiPo w/2200mah pack

2009-07-27

Hey All,
Looks like Iím bringing up the dead but I thought Iíd share this with you.

In July 2009 I bought an Edge 540T V2 with the 2200mah LiPo pack, 18A brushless ESC, with the brushless inrunner gear reduction power plant.

Having not flown for years my gut instinct says this will be a challenge but time will tell.

Out of the box I have this to say:
The 6 page manual is void of any real content.

It says nothing of CG, throws, expo, rates, or any basic info that might be helpful to set it up right. The hardware is brandless as best I can tell as I canít find WHO made anything. I bought the ARF without the radio.

Iím not sure what the actual motor size is, what the Amperage is of the ESC, and what the C rating is on the battery. However the battery is well balanced at the moment.

** SAFETY ** Please read!
When you assemble this plane PLEASE take some precautions to protect the wires and ESC from the screws protruding through the bulkhead where the motor is mounted. Those screws could easily penetrate the wires and possibly cause a short circuit leading to a fire. At a bare minimum place some silicone tubing over the screw ends so the ESC and wires will not chafe.

OK Ė during setup of this plane all things were going well. Well until I installed the tail wings. The setup holding the wings in place sucks. I can see a crash ripping the screws right through the foam and laying waste to both horz & vert fins. The mounts glued to the fuselage do not align with the holes in the wings. If I do line them up the horizontal stab will be off center. Be wise and check yours.

After all the mechanical stuff was done I began looking at the electronics. Hmm Ė the ESC has one of the electrolytic caps hanging by a single leg. I cut the shrink wrap back and soldered that down. Everything seems OK.

I had my Futaba T7CHP Tx dialed in, reversing a couple channels to conform to the model and tested the speed controller. Zoom Zoom. It works! Although it would be nice if the motor had bullets to disconnect it from the ESC. . .

I put the prop on it and Zoom Zoom! WOW Ė it feels like it might twist the foamy fuselage in half at full throttle! Yikes! The main wing is required for structural integrity of the fuse!

BANG! After about 7 power on tests of the ESC a 100uf surface mount cap blows up and SMOKE poors form the ESC. Power down. All tests are done. I pulled a 25A ESC from my heli and put that in. Everything seems to be alive and well plus I have bullets to disconnect the motor from the ESC.

I emailed the place where I bought the plane. No response over 4 days. I call there and talk to the receptionist. She talks to someone else. ESC is in the mail via USPS but I was scorned for soldering the electrolytic capacitor back on. I'd say the failures were unrelated. After looking at the circuit they used a 100uf 6v smd cap and applied 5volts to it. This doesn't leave much of a safety margin. I ordered a 10v 100uf cap to replace it and see if I can use it for backup?

I flew it with the Heli programmed ESC. It's programmed with a slow soft start which isnít great for take off. First concern is WHAT is the CG with that 2200mah battery? Well Ė It flew great and seemed to be a perfect balance with the 2200 vrs the 1800mah battery there is NO room in the battery compartment to move the battery anywhere! That reminds me. Donít trust those silly little latches to keep your Rx and battery in place. Use some Velcro on each and find a better way than those twist locks. They donít stay!

I made about 6 laps and brought it in. My ground trims all seemed good and it flew pretty nice right out of the shoot! Thankfully a nice skid landing in a grass as I had no runway and had the gear off. Right off the bat I notice two of the clevisís have opened up. Be sure to slice some large silicone tubing into a sliver and place them over all of those clevisís to keep them from falling off in flight OR replace them with better quality ones!

I couldnít fly again as the Heli ESC and the clevis issue seemed to be two strikes against it!

When I get the new ESC in and have some time, Iíll fly again. Overall the plane seemed to have plenty of power but I need to fly more before I say anything else.

I hope this helps others.

Oh Ė this is my first attempt with electric planes and foam! All prior history is Nitro and balsa! 2 hours from box to runway is Cool.

Later!

~Final Impact
FinalImpact is offline Find More Posts by FinalImpact
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:02 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
This design is over 3 years old(really a re-badged art tech plane),what might have been a competitive design for its time with better gear or as an arf back then is now a bit dated and much higher qaulity and performace planes in this motor class etc are are out now. I dug up a thread from my expierence and others that flew the plane etc. Theres plenty of pics but the video links were to putfile which doesnt seem to exist anymore.. might make a video for youtube with this plane from old footage,it was my second plane and taught me a lot about making changes and modifications with rc planes during my first year flying. A decent amount of feedback pro's and con's to this plane is Here .. it might be useful to some researching the plane or who currently own one and would like to see ways to improve its flight performance,a small geared inrunner with a 1320 3s lipo dropped the wingloading a bit and really gave it some punch,and theres plenty of high qaulity outrunners to replace the stock motor as well if you have a preferance of one more than the other.
RCG Plus Member