HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2006, 04:38 PM
Monmouth UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,043 Posts
Question
Flybar weigths slow my progress?

I've been flying for 9 months or so and have just started doing stall turns and have been flying with the Align flybar weights on my Trex for about six months now. They were positioned approximately 1 inch from the paddles. When I first added them I did certainly noticed that they made the heli more stable. Lately I feel as though I'm fighting the heli all the time, especially during slow piros and nose in hovering. I thought it was probably slop developing in the head/swash.

Had a crash last week, and when I put everything back together I decided to move the weights all the way out to touch the paddles. The heli hovered great, so good that I found it difficult to move it around, cyclic controls did not seem to response. My initial thoughts was that one of the servos was dodgy. However, I removed the weights instead, and WOW I have a new heli. It would go where I pointed it, and slow piros were back in my control as well as nose in. Sure the heli was more twitchy (I'm going to have to re-training fingers and eyes again), but my commands are no longer delayed and dampened and of course my in-correct commands are no longer damned either.

One of the biggest changes I noticed was that I need to hold on to elevator longer during stall turns otherwise the heli would level out very quick. With the weight on I have to reduce elevator much earlier.

Would it be good advise to anyone who has progressed past FFF is to remove the weights?
hb888 is offline Find More Posts by hb888
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2006, 04:51 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
You should have been moving the weights inward while learning hovering, and removed them completely for FFF.

You've left the weights on wayyy too long IMHO.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jul 18, 2006, 04:54 PM
Village Idiot
3 Sheets to the Wind!
Joined Oct 2004
631 Posts
insert 2 cents here--> I am just a begginer, way below you and I have never used the flybar wieghts. One of my helis had them on and I took them off. I really like the quick twitchy feeling and in an odd way it makes me feel more in control... <--insert 2 cents here

Ron -
rookbartley989 is offline Find More Posts by rookbartley989
Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:17 PM
Monmouth UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMorita
You should have been moving the weights inward while learning hovering, and removed them completely for FFF.

You've left the weights on wayyy too long IMHO.

Toshi
Thanks, better late than never I guess

Good job we have forums for us lone flyers (learners).
hb888 is offline Find More Posts by hb888
Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:39 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
definitely, fly without the weights, period. and im not just saying that. i believe if you can fly the helicopter already, take the flybar weights off. its almost like riding a bike. if you can ride the bike, why keep the training wheels off. its the transition from the training wheels off that is hard, but on a heli, it will take time to over come. better sooner than later.
driftinsequence is offline Find More Posts by driftinsequence
Old Jul 20, 2006, 02:42 AM
Suspended Account
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
well i took mine off and are going to put them back on...all i used was two whell collets it made it way more stable im not into inverted and would just like to keep it in the air....unfortunatly im into silly stuff like strong wind and its not easy...
NZ_Nitro is offline Find More Posts by NZ_Nitro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)