SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:42 PM
Tireshred
Texas
Joined Oct 2006
104 Posts
Radar Reading

I took my Corsair out today and had my wife radar it, high 50's to low 60's were the average in level flight, I had one reading of 66mph. I also had her check my Mini Slinger and it was about what I thought, mid to high 40's. I have a "sports type" radar gun so I don't know how accurate it is, these readings could be off.

The weather here has been perfect, I go fly, charge, go fly again. Gotta go, I hear my charger telling me it's time to fly.
Tireshred is offline Find More Posts by Tireshred
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:16 PM
Tireshred
Texas
Joined Oct 2006
104 Posts
I have 20-30 flights on my Corsair after I crashed it and it flies better than ever. I received the new wing last night and will be building it this weekend, but the repaired one still works fine, although the roll rate is still slow. Once you get used to it, it's fine. It's a great plane and stays in my truck along with the Mini Slinger and both get flown almost every day.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:15 PM
Tireshred
Texas
Joined Oct 2006
104 Posts
Punched Corsair

Well, I built the new wing and the ailerons finally had spec throws, I flew it about 6 times and the roll rate was much improved, until this evening. On launch into a 5mph wind, it nosed over and is a total loss. The only thing I can think of is the battery was a bit too far forward, but that seems unlikely as I've flown it many times with it in the same position. I hate not knowing what caused the crash, I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience and check CG before every flight now. The good news is I have a new one I bought from RyanF and I'll be if the pushrods aren't pre-installed from the factory. Go figure.

Pics attached.
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:17 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
My wife bought me a Electrifly F4U Corsair for my birthday. This is my first fixed wing. I mostly fly electric helis (Trex 450 SE and a Maxir) I have been flying fixed wings on my G3 sim for several months now, and Iím feeling confident enough to set it up and start flying.

Here is a list of some electronics I have laying around in my shop from heli projects. What can I use from this lot for my Corsair?

3 x TP 1320 3S lipos
1 x CC10 ESC
2 x Futaba 3110s
1 x Electron 6 Rx
1 x Axi 2208/20

I want this to be a brushless/lipo setup. I was planning to use the CC10, Electron 6, and the Futaba 3110s, and the 3s TP 1320s. Iím thinking that the 2208/20 has much too high of a kv for a direct drive setup?

I would really like to use the CC 10, but Iím not sure what motor and prop to use with it. Could I use a Himax 2808-0980 with the CC10? If so, what prop would be best.

Any guidance/help would be appreciated. This is my first time setting up an electric power system for a fixed wing.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:33 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
I found this chart and it looks like the CC10 would be sufficient... assuming these number are accurate for the Himax 2808-0980.

battery/prop-----watts---amps
2 cell 8x3.6-------27------3.7
2 cell 9x47--------32------4.5
2 cell 8x6---------33------4.6
2 cell 10x47-------39------5.7
3 cell 8x3.6-------65------6.15
3 cell 9x47--------75------7
3 cell 8x6----------77------7.4
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Last edited by LuckyDuc; Dec 14, 2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:52 PM
Tireshred
Texas
Joined Oct 2006
104 Posts
I've rebuilt mine after a few bad crashes, it flies great. The only weak part is the elevator rod, no matter that I rough it up, glue it in a line this is less stressful, it breaks loose. Watch this and it's a great flier.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:12 PM
p-w
Joined Oct 2007
29 Posts
I got a Great Planes Electrifly Hellcat allso i plan to put it together some day !
p-w is offline Find More Posts by p-w
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:58 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
My Corsair barely stayed in the air as the stock motor and prop pulled 33 w using a 2s1550 lopo.
It was rather easy to retrofit a Polk 208-21 in it . Using a 3s1550 Tannic lipo and 8060 prop, I get over 155 w. Just what it needed ! Flys like it is on rails..scale looking rolls and loops with recommended throws.
Wish they sold it without the geared 280.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:14 PM
United States, NC, King
Joined Mar 2009
160 Posts
I really hate the hellcat, the wing didn't align with the hole to screw it in and ended up messing up the wing trying to install it and scrated up the fuse. Very poor quality control I rip off in my opinion. Sent GP a email, lets see if they stand behind their products. Oh and the ailerons are very stiff.
mgrande11 is offline Find More Posts by mgrande11
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:59 PM
United States, NC, King
Joined Mar 2009
160 Posts
Been flying it and crashing alot. It can really take a pounding I'm starting to like this plane, oh and great planes sent me a wing.
mgrande11 is offline Find More Posts by mgrande11
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:07 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
I have one of these and it is a little under powered. I am looking into getting a different size prop for better performance. I need some recommendations though. Here is my setup: Stock corsair and 280 power package. Battery NiMh 9.6V 650mAh. Also Electrifly C-12 speed control. Upgrading to a brushless system would be nice but I don't have enough to do that right now. A prop should be a couple of dollars so I can afford to change that.

Thanks in advance
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Apr 27, 2009, 02:03 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Welcome to eZone Gohsthb...

Try the GWS HD 9x7.5 prop and see if that is better. That should give you a bit more speed - and that should be better.

When you have 30-40 bucks the brushless option is the way to go.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2007
335 Posts
Yep, really love my Hellcat, it drove me to balsa kits. The combination of it's poor build quality, lousy, underpowered motor and cranky control cables really did it for me. It is sad that such a piece of molded plastic junk was ever put on the market as an ARF. This one needs an experienced modeler and some serious upgrading to be a decent flyer. But it did serve a purpose; convinced me to quit foamie ARF's for good. I only do balsa kits now; if one turns out bad I got no one to blame but myself. So far my worst balsa build has been better than my best foamie ARF. Besides, aren't balsa planes "greener" than foamies?
M
mararra is offline Find More Posts by mararra
Old May 04, 2009, 08:47 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Thanks Mike for your suggestion about the 9x7.5 prop. This post is for others looking to get more out of the stock motor and gear combination.

I decided to get three props to see what they would do. I started testing with a 10x5 APC. It was supposed to have the most thrust however it turns out that is thrust at very low speed. The run time on a battery was noticeably longer with this prop. Next I tried a 9x7.5 APC. This prop made it like flying a different plane. The speed was great and it had good all around power. With this prop the plane would loop and roll very nicely. Last I tried a 9x9 APC. My club has a pylon racing fun fly coming up soon and this is the prop I will be using. The equations I found on-line estimate the plane will go ~40mph with this prop. I would guess this is about right. The plane seems lag a little in a climb but level speed is awesome with the 9x9. All of the props I tried were of course for electrics.

To recap what I am flying:
Great Planes(GP) Corsair Park Flyer
Stock 280 motor and gearbox that comes with the kit
a GP brushed C-12 ESC
and the suggested NiMH 650 mAh batteries also by GP
This same idea probably works on other planes also including the Hellcat
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old May 04, 2009, 08:52 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Glad it worked - pitch = speed.