HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:44 AM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,450 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite 25 J-3 Cub

Today I maidened my E-Flite 25 Piper J-3 Cub. The plane flies great. Here's the setup, mostly as recommended by E-Flite:

E-Flite 25 brushless outrunner
E-Flite 40 brushless ESC
2100 15C T.P. 3S1P
Hitec Electron six receiver.
(4) GWS Micro Std servos.
11.5 X 7.5 Wood Top Flite prop.
Haven't weighted it but it probably is around the published 4 lbs.

This setup pulls 25 amps. W.O.

The takeoff run is less than 15 ft. at 3/4 throttle. Cruises realistically at 1/2 throttle. Nice big loops from level flight at 3/4 throttle. It will do rolls, hammerheads, wingovers, spins...in short anything a full size J-3 will do and more...very realistically.

Slows down quite a bit and the powered off glide goes on forever!!...it took me a couple of runs to time the landing approach so I wouldn't overshoot the field!!...

Don't be fooled by the fact that it's a J-3 Cub...the controls are quite sensitive...even on the outermost control horn hole. So, for those that prefer a more sedate style, install your control rods to one of the inner servo control arm holes.

I'll post photos of the plane tonight and I hope to have someone take some inflight photos tomorrow...

I highly recommend this plane for those that like scale fliers. It looks and flies great...what the heck...gotta love it...its' a J-3!!!...

Happy landings!!!

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:52 AM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
I may need to get one of these to "best" my gas/glow J3 friends. They hate it when the electric guy shows up with a model that is as big, looks as good and flys better than their gas equivilants.

Take for instance the PAC .30 size tiger moth That one is a show stopper.
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:54 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Sorry, I forgot the camera and Video camcorder!!!

At least, I did not forget the 3 propellers (Wooden 11 X 8, 11 1/2 X 7 1/2 and the APC "E" 12 X 6).

We did not try the APC "E" 12 X 6 as we both noticed that the 11 1/2 inch was almost cutting the grass

Let me tell everyone that this is a top quality ARF and the recommended power system (E-Flite 25) is just an awesome motor! We checked the AMP draw and as Gerry stated, the full throttle was 25 AMPs while swinging the 11 1/2 incher. Gerry told me that the maximum limit is 40 AMPs. However, the half throttle was 10 AMPs and it flew nice level "Scale" float flying at half throttle!

Just a wonderful ARF from E-Flite and Gerry informed me at the field today that two local hobby stores has announced that E-Flite is working on "other" scale models that I suspect will be hitting the market soon!!!!

Congrats Gerry on those fantastic and spectacular 3 maiden flights!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:01 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,450 Posts
Carlos, thanks...and again for bringing the props to the field and the helping hand with the preps for flight!!...

MRM, I too have the Pacific Aero Models yellow Tiger Moth. It should be an excellent flier with the same setup I'm flying on the J-3...if the clearance is good I might try the 12" prop since the Moth is more draggy...

Gerry.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:16 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
OH yes, I have the PAC Moth with a HiMaxx HC3528-0800 swinging a 12x8 prop. It flys really great and I am still working out the servo kinks. got one the refuses to center well so i need to find the bind.

I just installed a DE Park BEC on this 4 servo bird but the ESC (a CC Phx 45) still seems to get warm around the BEC chip set. But not hot like it use to get.

Mike
Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:24 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,450 Posts
MRM, it sounds great. Perhpas we could fly them together when they're both ready!!

Gerry.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:12 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano
Today I maidened my E-Flite 25 Piper J-3 Cub. The plane flies great. Here's the setup, mostly as recommended by E-Flite:

E-Flite 25 brushless outrunner
E-Flite 40 brushless ESC
2100 15C T.P. 3S1P
Hitec Electron six receiver.
(4) GWS Micro Std servos.
11.5 X 7.5 Wood Top Flite prop.
Haven't weighted it but it probably is around the published 4 lbs.

This setup pulls 25 amps. W.O.

The takeoff run is less than 15 ft. at 3/4 throttle. Cruises realistically at 1/2 throttle. Nice big loops from level flight at 3/4 throttle. It will do rolls, hammerheads, wingovers, spins...in short anything a full size J-3 will do and more...very realistically.

Slows down quite a bit and the powered off glide goes on forever!!...it took me a couple of runs to time the landing approach so I wouldn't overshoot the field!!...

Don't be fooled by the fact that it's a J-3 Cub...the controls are quite sensitive...even on the outermost control horn hole. So, for those that prefer a more sedate style, install your control rods to one of the inner servo control arm holes.

I'll post photos of the plane tonight and I hope to have someone take some inflight photos tomorrow...

I highly recommend this plane for those that like scale fliers. It looks and flies great...what the heck...gotta love it...its' a J-3!!!...

Happy landings!!!

Gerry.
Congratulations Gerry, I wish I could have been there! Instead, I was stuck at the lousy beach all weekend in port charlotte. Oh well, what can you do?
Hey it sounds awesome, do you have any pics to show us.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:54 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,450 Posts
Thanks for the comments Henry!!...Hey stuck at the beach doesn't sound that bad!!...he,he

I'm planning on taking some photos tonight plus I'll probably have Carlos or somebody take some inflight shots flying tomorrow again...

Looking forward to flying together again soon my friend...Y hope the family is well...

Happy Landings...

Gerry.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:31 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Yes Gerry that would be fun, especially if you could get Carlos to get his up and going too. I know he has one 'cause I sold it to him.

Then we could do the old war bird thing together. Where all do you fly?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:17 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano
Thanks for the comments Henry!!...Hey stuck at the beach doesn't sound that bad!!...he,he

I'm planning on taking some photos tonight plus I'll probably have Carlos or somebody take some inflight shots flying tomorrow again...

Looking forward to flying together again soon my friend...Y hope the family is well...

Happy Landings...

Gerry.
Thank you for the kind comments. I was only kidding about the beach, it was awesome. I hope to see you guys soon. Best of luck,
Henry
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:32 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,450 Posts
Henry,

I thought you might be kidding...the beach is always a nice place to be he,he...hey are you flying this weekend?..

MRM,

We fly at the Space Center's very own RC club and also at the Moonport Modelers in Titusville. Carlos also flies at the ORCA club in Orlando. I have flown there once as a guest and I liked the field.

For the smaller stuff we sometimes fly at the Timbercreek High school (we refer to it as EDWARDS sometimes, after the famous Air Force base) located in East Orlando...what about you?...we should meet to fly sometime...

Gerry.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:36 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,450 Posts
Inflight photos...

Well as promised, here are some photos taken by my girlfriend this evening during a flight at Moonport Modelers in Titusville. The sun was setting and it offered an interesting backdrop for some of the shots.

I'll try to shoot some more tomorrow...

Gerry.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:01 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Gerry,

I waited for your call as I was not sure you were going to Moon Port Modelers Club in Titusville, Florida after the heavy rains the area got this afternoon. Unlike the club that I am a member in Orlando, Florida known as the Orlando R/C Association (ORCA) the field at Moon Port does not have very good drainage. ORCA's field was designed very well before the site was cleared for the field and they installed under-ground drainage pipes such that after a very heavy rain storm you can fly 10 minutes later!

I did not call thinking you guys were not going out to fly your E-Flite J3 Cub because of the weather......

Okay, call if you still want me to bring my Video camcorder and digital camera as you need better pictures.....the thumb nails are no different from the post click full size version.and therefore sort of small for this site.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:56 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,450 Posts
Video coming soon...

Carlos,

Thanks for the video you took today of the two flights of the J-3 Cub...can't wait to see it!!...please post a link to PUTFILE on this thread when it's ready.

Thanks buddy!!

Gerry.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 02:41 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Gerry/Carlos:

I expect to fly Sat. am. I may fly at TC for awhile early, then head over to Buzzards for a bit. I like the field, it's so nice to have too much room to fly...