HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:32 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Idea
P-40 Foamie

I finished a plane I had sitting around in my apartment and I'm blown away with its performance. I had always wanted to design a plane of my own, and a foamie fit the bill. I figured if I built a Warbird it would have some class to it too.

This one was all laser cut and desiged using CAD. It takes just under three hours to get to completion with this plane. It'd be less if the motor is pre-soldered.

Its a 36"-ish wing span with built up balsa sides. I saw a 3D plane like this with black foam and figured why not try to build my own. The plane is so rigid that after losing the prop inflight three times and cartwheeling it from 30ft, it hasn't required any major repairs. The ailerons are too small for 3D flying, but that's easily fixed when building with foam.

I have a 3 cell 900mAh pack powering an Hobby Lobby Esskay 400XT. For $19 you can't go wrong. The ESC is a Balsa Products BP10. Flight times are 12-20 minutes.

Other Equipment
- Blue Arrow Micro Rx
- Blue Arrow Servos 4.3g
- 10x4.7 longer flights or 10x8 for really really peppy flights.

I have combat flown this against a Shockflyer Yak and won 6/7 battles. The plane is super smooth when rudder is coupled and its a vertical rocket ship when you want it to be. I'm looking forward to building another type of Warbird but haven't decided which one I should go with.

If anyone is interested, I'll throw the plans up as soon as I figure out how to get them to print correctly in CAD.

Thanks for looking.

-Mike
mikeythev is offline Find More Posts by mikeythev
Last edited by mikeythev; Jul 18, 2006 at 03:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2006, 01:34 AM
Lake In The Hills, Il
Joined Jun 2005
359 Posts
Mike,
Nice looking plane!!! Nice job!
I was wondering what size was the balsa you used? (hard to tell in the pic)
And any idea what your AUW is?
Looks to be a stout design!
windy city
windy city is offline Find More Posts by windy city
Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:09 AM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Thanks.

I used 3/32 for the first plane and 1/16 for the second plane.

I don't know exactly what its AUW is, but I'm pretty sure its around 10-12 oz. (I need to pick up a scale).

Other info about the plane:
The wing is built in halves, and it's reinforced with a carbon fiber rod. For this plane, the prototype, I used gorilla glue and large triangle stock to hold the wing to the fuse. It's actually over kill. The second plane was built without the triangle stock and I used lowtemp hot glue to secure the wing. It works just as well, but its lighter.

The battery fits underneath the fuselage at the very front of the wing. It works well there because it's protected by the large size of the front of the fuselage.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:34 AM
Keep it up, I'm reloading
In my home
Joined Jan 2006
775 Posts
Plans please.
WACOFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WACOFlyer
Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:29 AM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
rough plans

Here is the rough set of plans for the P40 Foamie.
They are in DXF format.

The other one is a non tiled PDF
Last edited by mikeythev; Jul 18, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:18 PM
HAWK3Y3
United States, VA, Hopewell
Joined Jun 2002
261 Posts
I built a FFF P-47 a few years back. Great little plane. I used a set of 3 views downloaded from the web as a guide. I always wanted to do a P-40. I may still do that. Yours looks great.
HAWK3Y3 is online now Find More Posts by HAWK3Y3
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:00 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Thanks but yours looks much more realistic than mine. That paint job is sweet. I'm wondering if I should make a combo between your paint job and my balsa. That'd be nice looking too.

Is yours all bluecor?

I started with a 3 View to get the proportions correct. Everything but the control surface sizes is proportionate to the real thing. Well, the fact that the plane can climb unlimited vertically from a stand still is not realistic but you get the point.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:10 PM
Joined Nov 2004
5 Posts
Fine planes mikey and hawk and it flyes well to
Killi is offline Find More Posts by Killi
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:13 AM
HAWK3Y3
United States, VA, Hopewell
Joined Jun 2002
261 Posts
Mikey,

Yes it is FFF. I bought a bundle after reading a thread in RC groups a few years back. The rudder and elevator are scale per the 3 view. The ailerons however were enlarged similar to what you would see on a 3D plane.

Like I said, I always wanted to do a P-40. I am building a Guillows P-40 now and may use the plans to build a FFF 3D version like yours. If you build another, I would be interested in seeing pictures.
HAWK3Y3 is online now Find More Posts by HAWK3Y3
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:51 AM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
more planes

I just realized what FFF stands for... sorry about that.

I started plans for a XFD-1 by McDonnell Douglas in June. I think its better known as the FH-1 Phantom. The jet was ahead of its time. see picture of FH-1. I don't know if it'll work. I'd like to make a whole series of planes from a certain era. I'll toss up those plans as soon as I edit them.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:20 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Great looking plane! Started to build one myself, took plans to Kinkos and had blown up to scale. Turned out larger than scale. Looks like 50% larger. I'm using 1/2" Blue foam. Hope to use the 400XT on it, as well as giving it a nice paint job. Thanks for the plans Mikey. How is the FH-1 going?
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:19 AM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Xfd-1

I'm not sure what happened with the scaling on the P-40, but it should be a great size none the less. I hope the 400XT has enough umph for it. If you jack up the prop, and put a larger 3 cell and ESC, you should be fine.

The XFD-1 plans are finished as they'll ever be. I haven't had time to build one yet. I'm hoping to dodge house work and my honey-do list for a couple days to get one completed. I have the DXF files and DWG files if anyone is interested; just PM me for those.

Anyway... have fun and I'll post pics and video as soon as I get one finished.

-Mikey the V
Last edited by mikeythev; Jul 31, 2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:36 AM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Supersized P-40

Well had everything cut out for this and put it up on the shelf and kinda forgot about it. Took a break from my other projects and decided to go ahead and finish'er up. Comes in at:
WS: 54"
Lenght: 41"
Not sure of the weight as I dont have a decent scale to use. But if I had to guess I would say 25 - 30 oz.? Gonna try a BP-21 that I took from my stryker and hope it has enough to pull it, if not may goto the Eflite 480 outrunner I have laying around.
Trouble I have at this point is the CG. It should be around 3.4" - 4.0" from LE. With the battery all the way up front it still is a good 1" - 1.5" off. I dont want to add any lead, to save on weight.
While I was building it, noticed that even with a 24" CF rod in the wing, it was still very flimbsy. I thought I would try something new to me, using tape to renforce it. Just used regular masking tape. Much to my surprise it worked very well. Even had to use it on the fuse as well. Dont think I will be able to paint it like I wanted but at least it is almost done and still lokks good.IMHO
Will keep working on the CG and hope to maiden tommorrow.
Thanks again Mike for the plans.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:40 AM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
I think this thread should be moved over to the Scratchbuilt forum. How does one go about that?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:33 AM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
WB I really like your model and plan on stealing some of your design elements! Great job!

Hawk, how did the 47 fly? What was the wingspan? I had been warned to significantly increase the size of the rudder and stab by some very learned folks here... Still want to make a nice Jug but the idea of a cartoonish rudder turned me off.

Thread here.

I prefer the bubble canopy version to the razorback but I have to say you made a damn nice looking model!
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Last edited by WarrrEagle!; Aug 20, 2006 at 01:39 AM.