Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:07 PM
Joined Nov 2004
11 Posts
Discussion
Should I get an MX400 or TREX?

Hey there,

I am currently an airplane pilot wanting to convert over to heli flight. I am interested in either the helimax MX400 or a TREX. Both have gotten good reviews and look similar. Should I choose one over the other or are they both equally as good?
propellerhead is offline Find More Posts by propellerhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:16 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Neither in my opinion. I have a pair of X400s and like them, they are the same as the MX400 (OEM of the x400 at higher price). If you are serious about getting into heli flight save a lot of problems and go to the eletric heli forum and search for corona. Tough cost effective learning and if you make wise equipment purchases the expensive gear you put on it will go to a mini CP later. Like battery packs, motor, ESC, gyro etc. It's the difference between 50$ for a mild crash and free crashes.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:39 PM
Joined Jul 2006
256 Posts
Hi,

In my opinion if your gonna spend alot of $$ try getting a Heli w/a good quality not something popular that seperates in mid air
Have you heard of Roxxter 11, 33, and 55? its made in Germany and the stocks are coming in Aug.. heres the link for the product and vids and youll see a big difference compare to other 400/450 class helis or even 60 class helis
And I think you dont need to uprade anything because theres nothing to upgrade
http://www.lf-technik.de/
Tomie is offline Find More Posts by Tomie
Old Jul 16, 2006, 08:50 PM
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
460 Posts
I would go with the Corona for starting and then move on to either a larger CP heli (Swift, Logo 10...) or to a small CP one like the T-Rex or x-400. Something to think about is also spare parts availability. Check if your LHS carries either the T-Rex or x-400 including spares.
Franz2002_01 is offline Find More Posts by Franz2002_01
Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:22 PM
Joined Nov 2004
11 Posts
Thanks for the responses fellas. I have been working hard on a simulator and have gotten pretty good at hovering a 400 size machine. If I were to choose between those two models, which would be a better choice?
propellerhead is offline Find More Posts by propellerhead
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:56 AM
rwp
rwp
Joined Nov 2003
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Thanks for the responses fellas. I have been working hard on a simulator and have gotten pretty good at hovering a 400 size machine. If I were to choose between those two models, which would be a better choice?
Trex
rwp is offline Find More Posts by rwp
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:29 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
i would go for a trex. very versitile heli. not only is it small and convienent to have around, you can also fly regular circuts, pattern fly it, and hardcore 3d the thing. They are awesome and for the money not a bad heli.

if you want to wait. go for the trex 450 SA being released by horizon hobbies next month. it is a pre-built arf like the mx-400 except better. it is part aluminum, and plastic. it actually weighs lighter than the poplular trex 450 SE. all the parts will be interchangeable, so you can have a SE after a couple of crashes. haha

I have been doing the same thing as you Propellerhead. I took the MX-400 in G3 expansion pack 1 and suped the hell out of the thing. If you have G3 with Ex. pack 1, then go ahead and PM me. I will tell you what I did to the heli to make it fly more like a TREX. So anyways I have been flying my suped up MX-400/ TREX for the past 2 weeks, and I am going to get the SA kit when it is released. I work in a hobby shop which can give me first dibbs on one when they come.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Justin

BTW: The Trex looks like on of the most bad ass electirc helis on the market. That is my opinion, but i am sure others agree. They just look MEAN and pack a huge punch for their size if set up correctly....
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:31 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomie
Hi,

In my opinion if your gonna spend alot of $$ try getting a Heli w/a good quality not something popular that seperates in mid air
Have you heard of Roxxter 11, 33, and 55? its made in Germany and the stocks are coming in Aug.. heres the link for the product and vids and youll see a big difference compare to other 400/450 class helis or even 60 class helis
And I think you dont need to uprade anything because theres nothing to upgrade
http://www.lf-technik.de/

doesn't seem like it sits well on the ground. looks way too nose heavy to me from first impression. How does if fly? Does it 3D well?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:24 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,146 Posts
Not much difference in the performance of the two when set up the same. It's all parts availability so whatever your closest LHS carrries is the one you want to fly.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:12 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Rex is hands down better then the MX400, my buddy bought one, they have limited tracking adjustments, and also the boom is shorter so no flying longer blades unless you upgrade.

The MX400 forum on RR is dead, while the rex forums is the highest posted, that should give you an idea.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:03 PM
one crash at a time
near Rockford, Illinois
Joined Mar 2006
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverDown3K
Rex is hands down better then the MX400, my buddy bought one, they have limited tracking adjustments, and also the boom is shorter so no flying longer blades unless you upgrade.

The MX400 forum on RR is dead, while the rex forums is the highest posted, that should give you an idea.
Maybe the rex forums are the highest posted because they are the bigger seller, or the most prone to difficulties. Highest posted doesn't exactly mean best.

I've never flown a rex, so can't offer an opinion. I have an MX400 which is a fine little machine. I went the MX route due to great local support. My LHS has plenty of spare parts if I need them. Luckily, I haven't needed any lately.
(I know, that just means I'm not flying hard enough. LOL)

I went with parts availability as the deciding factor just because I hate waiting for parts. When I do get time to fly, I don't want lack of parts to ground me.

Scott
Fighting Gravity is offline Find More Posts by Fighting Gravity
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:37 PM
SCAMMERS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Kent, WA
Joined Dec 2003
2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51flyer
doesn't seem like it sits well on the ground. looks way too nose heavy to me from first impression. How does if fly? Does it 3D well?

LOL!!!! "looks way too nose heavy"

that's like saying it looks like it smells funny... the Roxxter is the most bad-@$$ thing on the market right now. AFAIK there is no higher performance electric helicopter available. This unfortunately means they are very expensive.

yes, they 3D well
trashmanf is offline Find More Posts by trashmanf
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:50 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanf
LOL!!!! "looks way too nose heavy"

that's like saying it looks like it smells funny... the Roxxter is the most bad-@$$ thing on the market right now. AFAIK there is no higher performance electric helicopter available. This unfortunately means they are very expensive.

yes, they 3D well
really? "No higher performance electirc heli available" huh. thats interesting. so this is a german company, that is not sold in the US?

the video looks good. the internal pics on the website, look logoish to me but smaller. impressive, but for the money i would rather get a TREX.
Last edited by p51flyer; Jul 17, 2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:56 PM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,036 Posts
I have both the TRex and MX400, and I will repeat what several have already said: They are similar enough that I would buy the one with the most LOCAL support. If your LHS has parts, you are down a day; if not, you are down several days, assuming you get everything you actually need with the first order (not always the case on these complicated suckers)!
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr
Old Jul 17, 2006, 03:01 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
the video is nothing a trex can't do