SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:49 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,560 Posts
Question
Non Skid

How can I make this stuff? I want to make my decks have this stuff first but I dont want to make it look like sand paper. I tried putting sugar(makes a mess) salt (looks like sandpaper) and some dirt(too big of bumps for my ship but looked ok) on top of some grey paint then painting over the above items.
Any other ideas on how to get the right texture?

I am working on a 1:90 scale ship the Zwarte Zee and I plan to make the areas that are supposed to be wood into the non skid stuff.

Thanks
Massey
Massey is online now Find More Posts by Massey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:59 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Wit a scale that small seems like flat paint would work, but in any case for the textured non skid look use 500 or smaller grit sandpaper glued in place. If painting a different color, it's best to airbrush for grain that small will dissappear using a brush.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Jul 16, 2006, 08:12 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,560 Posts
yea I thought about glueing the paper down but i wanted to avoid going that rout. I thought about rubbing 400-500 grit paper together over the wet paint tho and see if that gets enough "dust" to get a good texture. Maybe I will try that tomorrow (on duty again cant get off the ship till then). Any other ideas?

Massey
Old Jul 16, 2006, 08:47 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,607 Posts
In that scale, anything other than flat paint will look a little odd. What might be a little rise to your eye would actually be a major "bump" (inches-feet) in that scale. On larger scale models that I have built I use a spray on epoxy nonskid found at marine stores.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:15 AM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
I use a product called Firm Foot. It is an epoxy spray with fine grit that I find is just right for models in this scale. It is produced by Forrest Paint Products located in Eugene Oregon and the phone number on the can is (541)342-1821 for further information or google Firm Foot. Jerry J
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:09 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
You could use self adhesive sand paper,eliminates glueing.Pre-cut the pieces to the deck lay out, and paint before installing
smart_racer is offline Find More Posts by smart_racer
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:16 PM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
USS Massey DD778;
try n scale gravel put on wet paint. then paint again. if n scale is to big use z
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Jul 16, 2006, 01:16 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,560 Posts
Wingnut, As a model railroader I know the size of the N scale ballast. I actually use the N scale stuff for my HO railroad cause it looks more like real ballast. Take an HO scale figure and put his feet up to the N scale stuff then the HO stuff and see what one looks like real ballast stones and what one looks like landscaping rocks . I have not seen any smaller ballast than Fine(N scale) in my catalogs or hobby stores. I was trying tho to do as you said put the stuff on the wet paint then apply the paint again but the stuff I was trying with did not work too well. I will keep trying

Massey
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:59 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,417 Posts
I haven't tried it, but micro-balloons might be fine and consistent enough.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 16, 2006, 08:45 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I used Plasti-Kote Fleck stone paint, her are some pics,
the Jim Wilder has it on the deck it's a gray, the Envoy has it below the water line it's a red. you can get it in several deferent colors.
It's not water proff but it is water resestant, I put Plasi-Kote clear water proff over it, it's still not water proff but it redries, it gets loose after about 1 1/2 hours in the water one the Envoy, haven't had a problem with the Jim Wilders decks. The barge deck is a brown, they spray can does not say what the color is, the cap has been painted so you can pick what you want. LOL
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Last edited by ropanach; Jul 16, 2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 07:24 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
how about durt, that is finer. i'm putting all my ho on ebay.
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:23 AM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,512 Posts
Massey,
I found a way that was stated in my model slipway boat instructions thats you get a flat can of paint brush type that has been sitting on the self for awhile and DONT SHAKE OR STIR and pour off the thin paint on top and get to the settlements on the bottom and use a short stiff brush and stab straight down the paint to the surface dont stroke it stab at it only.
you will have to go over several times but this does look great.

longbike
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:55 AM
Saint John, NB(East Coast) Canada
Joined Apr 2006
198 Posts
Non-Skid markings

At the scale you're building, for non-skid parhway or to replicate the fuill-scale strips of black non-skid surface, masked-off flat black paint is what you want. The actual full-scale surface would be (at the thickest) 1/16" to 1/8", so trying to do that 90 times thinner, or looking at the real thing from 100 ft away, (eyeballing it in scale perspective) you would only see a flattened area, certainly no 'texture' or grit.
-Greg
Greg Hiltz is offline Find More Posts by Greg Hiltz
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:56 AM
Hydrofoil Semi-Pilot
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
52 Posts
I don't remember why I did this (it wasn't for non-skid walkways), but in order to get a gritty surface, I used white glue and sprinkled sand on it. Then you could probably paint that. (You'll probably want to use something better than white glue; it was forever dropping sand granules.)
spiffy_spaceguy is offline Find More Posts by spiffy_spaceguy