Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:27 AM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
Build Log
Eurofighter

Ive been flying for a couple months now and thought it would be time to scratch build a model. I started on the STS and then built the F14 pusher.

so, after having a browse on the net a spotted the eurofighter and thought it would be an easy enough model to make. After a few hours of drawing on CAD and cutting and glueing i ended up with what you see here . Its all 6mm depron style foam

Not sure on how to work out the CG (the formula looks a bit like rocket science) so i thought id just chance it First flight was short, very short ... but i soon realised the cg was to far back as the plane was very responsive. I added some weight to the front and what a difference , it actually flies now.

i am running cheepo everything, and would like to start getting some decent gear now as i seldom crash.
i have a 2408-21 can type brushless, the type you get off ebay for peanuts plus free postage i have rewound it using twin 26g , 15 turns .. but it still isnt fast enough. To be honest i dont really know what all the numbers mean, i have searched but... 24 is the amount of turns and the rest ?

what motor and esc shall i get next ? i have a need for speed

the fighter is

800 mm in length
620 wingspan
320 grams
3s 850mah
15a esc
2408-21 with a 8043 prop

oh and i gotta say it looks awesome when doing low level passes
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Last edited by Blackrat; Jul 16, 2006 at 05:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:18 AM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Nice looking plane, any chance you can post some plans? Thanks
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:39 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,489 Posts
what i would do is give it the glide test to find CG.
keep adding small amounts of clay or what have you,to the nose and where she gets her longest track you can figure where the CG is.
i'm another that would be interested in some plans.

Angel
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Last edited by snolord1; Jul 16, 2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:08 AM
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2005
107 Posts
Blackrat,

Great design. Love it...! Could you post some more pictures..?
Sebastien1 is offline Find More Posts by Sebastien1
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:15 AM
Will
Hampshire, England
Joined Sep 2005
36 Posts
Would an inrunner with a small steep prop not be more suiatable for this kind of plane?

P.S. I would also like a copy of the plans if they become available.
wilz1234 is offline Find More Posts by wilz1234
Old Jul 16, 2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
I have done a quick build guide, but only realised how dark the pics where once i was finished oh well.

There are two files a .dwg and a .wmf, i unfortuanately dont have any programs to make it easier to print

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~ccoe...urofighter.wmf
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~ccoe...urofighter.dwg

right click and save these files

here we go with the guide

cut out all parts on the outline and on the dotted line (obviously not where the bottom support braces go) i have used 6mm depron.
on the main fuselage just below the cockpit are 2 dotted lines, this is for the thickness of the lipo that you will be using.

you will need

2 main fuselage sides
2 bottom support strips
1 tail piece
1 cockpit
1 front nose stabilizer
the wings with the flaperons cut out

tape the tops of the main fuse together and position on the wings, i use hot glue as i find it quick and easy

slide the nose stabilizer into place, you might need to lightly sand the fuse to get it to fit

flip the model over and glue the bottom sections in, pulling the sides out so that they sit flush with the nose piece

glue the bottom support strips in

if you can resist dont glue the tail fin on just yet, as it does get in the way when installing the radio gear , i couldnt

two covers to go, one over the nose so that the lipo can slide in, and the other to cover the 'innerds'

ill leave that for tomorrow
Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:21 PM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
get some radio gear in

Cut out the hole for the servo , if you use hot glue to glue the servo in place it is easily removed once you have crashed

using an old credit card cut out a set of horns, cut a slit about a millimeter wide into the depron and test fit the horn. Once you are happy that you can get a hole into the horn that is perpendicular to the hinge line, fill the slit with hot glue and stick the horn in.
I use some stainless steel welding wire for the pushrods (but i have heard paper clips will also do), use a lighter to heat up the end of the wire and push it thru the horn trying your best to keep in line with the hinge line.
BBQ skewers are the way forward for buget 'rods'

``

Mount the motor, wich i havnt shown as there are a million ways of mounting various motors , add the esc and reciever and away you go

Some paint to add a bit of character
Last edited by Blackrat; Feb 06, 2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
ment to ask, could anyone make the plan into a page print for me pretty please
I have used posteriza wich is pretty good, but it does loose quite a bit of detail
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:09 PM
It Is All Fun
Arlington, Texas
Joined Mar 2003
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat
ment to ask, could anyone make the plan into a page print for me pretty please
I have used posteriza wich is pretty good, but it does loose quite a bit of detail
See if this works for you.
Dick Rankin is offline Find More Posts by Dick Rankin
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:37 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,067 Posts
Thanks DR!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:46 AM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
Top stuff, thanks alot

no excuses !! someone build one now !

i used to run a 8x4 prop but a 7x6 is so much faster
Old Jul 31, 2006, 05:09 PM
Crash test dummy
Alabama
Joined Dec 2005
265 Posts
I built this plane last week while on vacation. This is a sweet flying plane. It's a little hard to get the CG figured out. The plane kept wanting to flip over when I gave it full throttle. Finally figured out that the canards were giving too much lift. I trimmed them off about 1 inch and it flew great. It's very fast and will spin like a top. Great Job!

I'll post some picks when I get time.
dhelms9138 is offline Find More Posts by dhelms9138
Old Aug 01, 2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
kewlio, make sure you do post some pics
i have a problem of the plane climbing under full throttle and dropping at half, but have heard a little down thrust on the motor cures it (gonna try it)

i am currently installing a new motor onto my fighter , an Eflite 400 4200kv , i was going to go direct drive but have decided against it as the number of stories ive heard about breaking the shaft on having a prop strike :S

it is a fast plane , cant wait to fly it with this new motor, think im gonna need a few pieces of carbon to keep it together
Old Aug 01, 2006, 01:40 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
E-flite 400

Get a Big Battery for that 400. I can't even run a direct drive 3x3 prop on mine without it getting blistering hot and it sucks the juice right out of my 3 cell 2100. I will say, that with a 3x3, the 400 4200kv puts out some major thrust at very high rpm's, but it gets so warm, that I have put a Mega 16/15/3 in it's place with a 4.75 x 4.75 and it's way better. Not to say the 400 is'nt good. I just think I'll put a gear on mine and use it in a gearbox from now on so it does'nt have to draw as many amps.

Edit: By the way - Super cool plane. Looks like a fairly easy and fun build for what you get as the end result.

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by UBILDIT; Aug 01, 2006 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Left out Compliment
Old Aug 03, 2006, 08:31 PM
Crash test dummy
Alabama
Joined Dec 2005
265 Posts
These are photos of my build pre-maiden. I decided to take photos just incase it crashed on it's maiden flight.....which it did....

All it needed was a few adjustments and it flies like a dream. I hope you don't mind the small modifications that I made to your plan. I just made it look just a little more scale.
dhelms9138 is offline Find More Posts by dhelms9138