SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Discussion
Flew a Pike Perfect today

After our DLG contest today I was watching Larry Jolly test fly his new Pike Perfect. He was doing short bungee launches and working low lift forever as he does so well. As he walked past our CD station he asked me if I'd like to make some turns. After thinking about it for a nano second I took his transmitter and started to enjoy flying the smoothest turning plane I've ever flown. I was flying very slow in some light lift and couldn't believe how nicely it carves turns - even at near stall speed. My superior would be dropping a wingtip for sure if I tried to fly it like that. The coupling was dead on and overall the plane was very sensitive to input, but still very easy to fly.

I've got to quit taking demo flights on Larry's planes. Now where's that checkbook?

Thanks Larry!

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:13 PM
Much to my CHAGRIN . . .
Bellflower, CA
Joined Mar 2005
462 Posts
Hey Clay,

Me too! What amazed me about the Perfect was its responsiveness. For a plane as big as the Perfect is, it has the control response of a two meter ship. Never mind the fact that I was shaking like leaf all the while I was flying Larry's new baby, but it did NOTHING stupid. It tracked like it was on autopilot, turned the second it sensed any control input—and LAND? Man, does it come to a crawl when those big flaps are dropped (and it didn't go dead in the air if you sucked the flaps back up). Sell your Supras while you still can.

I only wish late October, early November wasn't so far off…

Thanks Larry for the test drive!

Mark
machild is offline Find More Posts by machild
Old Jul 16, 2006, 08:41 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,789 Posts
Wow if I knew you guys were going to write those things I wouldn't have charged you so much to fly the Perfect :-)
I have a bout 3 hours on the Perfect now and I think it is a very nice model with great handling characteristics. The model is very nicely molded and is more than strong enough for F3J. The guys at ELDo were flying my heavy 78 ounce version. I have a light one coming at the first of August and I plan to review that model for Wil Byers. The model is designed by my GOOD Friend Philip Kolb, who is not only a talented young flyer, and designer but a real Fun guy to hang with. I just got word from Jim McCarthy that Philip has entered the World Soaring Masters.... No doubt what his choice of weapon will be... I bet he gets an I beat Gordy Button. Thanks Larry
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:24 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,735 Posts
I dont want to hijack your thread but yesterday I got to maiden a friends new Onyx. It was very smooth and has great potential. It needs a bit of fine tuning but it felt nice. The full flying stab is going to make it difficult to determin correct CG.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:34 PM
Mike R. I find sink.
West Covina, California
Joined Aug 2004
395 Posts
Just in case no one brings it up, Larry placed first overall today at the SC^2 contest in Riverside with his Pike Perfect. I think he dropped two seconds for the whole contest and got perfect landing scores for all three rounds. Nice job, Larry.
Wildewinds is offline Find More Posts by Wildewinds
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:57 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
Larry how would you compare how she flies to the Supra?
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jul 16, 2006, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,789 Posts
Dan,
There are several new models coming to the seen as you read this. The Perfect and the Supra are more cousins than you might think. Both are designed making use of Dr Drelas design codes. If you look at the Perfect planform, it resembles a 2-3 % larger Supra wing, with wider chord Flaps. It has a conventional fuselage that is very stiff,and has a double stab bellcrank so that you pull up elevator eliminating any elevator pushrod flexing in the zoom. The Perfect has a larger Stab which is usefull for pushing over for landing, while mushing along. My early impressions are the Supra flies more like a HLG and has the ability to cover ground. The Perfect flies at a higher reynolds number and really likes to cruise. The controls are very crisp, and the flaps very responsive. Both models read well and climb quickly in lift. The Perfect has a very stiff wing that is designed for the abuse of F3J. Because of my hours of flying with the Supra it was very natural to jump to the Perfect.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:35 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,681 Posts
I will be ordering one, I also flew Larrys and was amazed at its ability to work a gofer fart, it tracks like my 5 meter scale gliders and handles superb, it really fits my flying style, so I guess that means I will be selling my Artemis cross tail.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:15 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
Very interesting guys .... what's the wait time/price?
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:31 PM
Much to my CHAGRIN . . .
Bellflower, CA
Joined Mar 2005
462 Posts
Hey Dan,

My Perfect is #24 coming from Skip Miller. According to Skip, the batch #24 is in should arrive sometime in late October, early November. It's worth the wait. I'd call Skip to confirm prices and lead times. The price of my Perfect was less than that of an all-carbon Supra.

Call Skip…

Mark
Last edited by machild; Jul 19, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:23 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Mark writes -
Quote:
My Perfect is #24 coming from Skip Miller
Hope you plan on putting a tracking device in that bad boy

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:52 PM
Much to my CHAGRIN . . .
Bellflower, CA
Joined Mar 2005
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH
Hope you plan on putting a tracking device in that bad boy
No kidding. The last thing I want is for the Perfect to keep the Zenith company (Lord only knows where that is). I think my Superior will get a tracking device, too...
Old Jul 19, 2006, 02:31 PM
trend
Switzerland, Aargau, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
413 Posts
In light of this -- anybody selling a good full house ship to a new entrant into F3J (Pike, Supra, Vision, Graphite, etc...)?
trend.ab is offline Find More Posts by trend.ab
Old Jul 19, 2006, 02:44 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trend.ab
In light of this -- anybody selling a good full house ship to a new entrant into F3J (Pike, Supra, Vision, Graphite, etc...)?
I saw a Artemis in the for sale forum of this site for under $800 with nice red servos...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544650

If you look around there are always deals...
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jul 19, 2006, 02:56 PM
trend
Switzerland, Aargau, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
413 Posts
thanks!
trend.ab is offline Find More Posts by trend.ab