HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2002, 06:10 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
11 lb. Edge 540T crash and burn video online

Okay, it didn't burn this time but it did crash!!!!

Frank Wallace caught the incident on video and posted it on his new web site. Thank you Frank.
Edge 540T crash video

I rebuilt this plane after last weeks crash in order to fly it at the Black Sheep Squadron Electric Fly-In.

Tony from T & A's Hobby Lobby did a great job of putting together a first rate event and we really enjoyed the trip and the hospitality.

Joe Nave posted some pics on his web site from the event.
Event pics

Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2002, 06:56 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Is that the same one that was at SEFF? Looks like the pilot should have just went around again. Easier said than done sometimes. Glad it is back together.

Tim
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Jul 31, 2002, 09:34 PM
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Yes, Same plane as seen at SEFF but with a different system we were testing. I was the pilot on a low altitude dead stick and unfortunately there was no place to go but straight ahead...too low to turn...obstructions right and left...parking lot ahead full of gravel...trying to clear the poles...tip stall left wing... boom! At least it's flying again. Pretty good video though huh?
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Aug 01, 2002, 08:25 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Was that at the end of the runway? I see what loolks like a green strip Why are there telephone poles lying on the ground at the end of the runway? Parking lot perimeter?

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Aug 01, 2002, 09:11 AM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
Hi Dave,

I hate to see planes crash but that was cool!!! Glad to hear you got it back together. Are you trying a new system to get more runtime. I thought it flew great at SEFF. At least Jason wasn't at the controls this time.

Have a good one.

Rob S.
a2zprod is offline Find More Posts by a2zprod
Old Aug 01, 2002, 09:16 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Easy to give some advice now in hindsight, but couldn't you just hit full left rudder when the wing tip touched down, just to spin it around?

Saw a guy do that maneuver last weekend with a slimer when he landed long. He was going fast enough that one wheel lifted off the ground as he spun out, but didn't do any damage and he stayed on the runway.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Aug 01, 2002, 09:48 AM
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Kelvin,
Yes, the poles are a parking lot perimeter and are not near the usual runway. We fly on a dirt field (old landfill) that sometimes is also used as a parking lot for community events.

Pierre Audette,
Of course I reviewed my alternatives after the crash wondering if that was a good decision. A lighter plane at a lower ground speed may have stopped before the poles but I think it would have been worse to ground loop it in this case. If you see the video in real time (it's on the web at 25% speed) you would see that it would have been just as bad to slide the plane into the poles either sideways or tail first. This thing is big and was going downwind. At over 32 oz/ft2 wing loading there was no way to get over the poles. The tip stall that made the wing touch was my attempt to "float" it over the poles. Obviously it wasn't as bad as it first looked in the video since I had it flying two days later. It's fun to watch the video now that the pain has subsided.

a2zprod,
It did fly great at SEFF! This airframe lends itself well to testing since it is so easy to change motors and batteries etc. We are using the 540T to test 28 and 30 cell systems for another project where the airframe is not ready for flight yet. To save time we "proof" the system in the 540T first and see how we like the performance. (11 lbs of thrust is addicting though!)
Jason flew it at SEFF and he's a much better stick than me. I'm a lot more conservative (scared?) at low levels.
Old Aug 01, 2002, 10:27 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,066 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the video...but *OUCH*

What are you using for 11lbs of thrust?
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Greg Covey; Aug 01, 2002 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2002, 10:35 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Ouch Dave, gives me that sick helpless feeling just watching it.
I'm glad you have if fixed and flying again !
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Aug 02, 2002, 09:21 AM
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
I would never delight in someone else's misfortune but hey, I'll post about my own!

The video was interesting in that it showed me I had better look further down the tail boom for damage after seeing the back end flex like that in the video. I found a few cracks that might have not been seen otherwise.

Greg,
The 24 cell system we have been flying in the 540 (like at SEFF) will just sustain hover at 10.5 lb. The system we were testing on the day of the crash is more powerful but also will have more run time. I shouldn't reveal the combo since we want to be sure it is suitable before suggesting it to others as a viable power package. It is a Hacker system and putting it in a cleaner airframe (still under construction) could change the power requirements so testing will continue in that plane as well.