Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:33 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Mike,

the important dimensions of my CV joint are:
drive shaft diameter: 3.17 mm / 1/8"
axle shaft diameter: 5 mm / 0.197"
thread diameter: 4 mm / 0.157"

The drive shaft goes into the cf tube of the rotor mast. You may have to enlarge the I.D. of the cf tube a bit, using an 3.2 mm / 1/8" drill. Do this only after you've epoxied the thin aluminium tube to the top of the rotor mast, otherwise the mast is likely to split.

The axle shaft takes the hub's ball bearings. The hub's vertical position is adjusted by an aluminium tube slipped over the axle shaft, below the bearings. The upper plane uf the hub should be a tiny bit higher than the upper end of the 5 mm shaft. On top of that goes the 4 mm thrust bearing. This is centered by the treaded part of the wheel axle.

Peter,

yes, compared to Micromum, the Minimum has lead a quiet life up to now. That may be due to the fact that the XPG, Rainbow and Rotorshape are similar in size, and you can buy kits for those. My personal favourite right now is the Nanomum v4, I just love that one.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:07 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
Mike,

Here's the picture I promised of the bearings above the hub.

The washer spreads the load onto the wooden hub parts rather than it all being a coaxial load on the bearing in the top hub plate. Should the glue on the bearings in the hub fail the rotor should stay attached !

PeterO_UK
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Dec 20, 2008, 01:19 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Peter,
Thanks for that photo, that clears things up for me. I recieved a 3-D file from Jochen that is too large to post in the forum. It's an amazing rendering of the aircraft, and each detail can be scrutinized individually. If you don't already have it, I'm sure he would send it to you. It would certainly be a nice addition to your already informative web page. I'm at the mercy of the postal services at this point to determine what serial number my Minimum will be. Either way 5, or 6 is still a pretty low number that a builder can be proud of! Your help, along with Jochen's has been immeasurably valuble, and I'm greatful.
Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Dec 20, 2008, 01:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
If anybody wants this pdf-file, PM me your email address and make sure that you have 6.4 MB space in your email box.

Jochen
Old Dec 20, 2008, 01:59 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
GKF plate question

Hello Gents,
I went to the link for the gfk plate that Peter provided. The plate is only 2,99Euros, but the shipping to my location is 17,50 Euros. I have located some gfk that is .020" for $7 shipped to my location, but it is thicker than .5mm(.01969"), would this thicker plate be acceptable. I know that seems a very small difference, but I really don't want to deviate from the proven design unless the experts think it would work.
Regards,
-Mike
Old Dec 20, 2008, 02:11 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Mike,

I'm not worrying about some hundreth of a mm. That's quite alright.

Jochen
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Hello Gents,
I went to the link for the gfk plate that Peter provided. The plate is only 2,99Euros, but the shipping to my location is 17,50 Euros. I have located some gfk that is .020" for $7 shipped to my location, but it is thicker than .5mm(.01969"), would this thicker plate be acceptable. I know that seems a very small difference, but I really don't want to deviate from the proven design unless the experts think it would work.
Regards,
-Mike
0.0200" - 0.01969" = 0.00031" I doubt their manufacturing tolerances are that good

It sounds like you'll be all set to go when the postman arrives.

PeterO_UK
Last edited by PeterO_UK; Dec 20, 2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:49 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Any bearing you need

Hello all,
For those of you that weren't already familiar with Boca Bearings, I've added a link. You can find any bearing you need for Autogyro building. The advanced bearing searh allows you to specify exactly what you are looking for, and they will have it if it exsists.

Boca Bearings

Regards,
-Mike
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:35 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
It's gone quiet from you Mike... Any news ?

PeterO_UK
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:37 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Peter,
All is well here. I'm Military and have been participating in multiple field exercise's recently. I hope to get some free time soon so I can get started on my Minimum. I've got all the bits now, just no time. I'm also trying to begin a Super sized DAG. I'll certainly keep you all posted.
Regards,
-Mike
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:14 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
I've found a little building time and motivation! I will begin my build soon, and keep you posted. One of my CF tubes was damaged as a result of my ignorance of drilling and cutting the stuff, but I'll press on with other portions until it's replaced. I think I will build the Hub, and rotor blades first since that is what I dread the most.
Would a Rotorshape hub setup work for a Minimum with the bigger blades? Just curious; I recently noticed one of the Kit-Bashed Rotorshapes that PeterO made, it's very cool.
Regards Gents,
-Mike
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:47 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Would a Rotorshape hub setup work for a Minimum with the bigger blades? Just curious;
-Mike
It might work. They both have similar hinge angles, but the Minimum is a much bigger model with much bigger blades. For one thing I don't think the Rotorshape hinge material would support the Minimum sized blades when they are static.

PeterO_UK
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:54 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Mike,

that's been done with the Micromum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=177

Jochen
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:05 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,222 Posts
Hello: My name is Bill and am building my redneck version of your autogyro and would like your thoughts so far . By far you have the best handle on this subject and most of what I have done is based on your Blog.I am new to R/C Groups so I hope my images come through ok Thanks for your time Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,227 Posts
Very Heavy!
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT