SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2008, 03:10 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
OMG That thing is beautiful in the air, great work Peter and great piloting skills ...thats one of the best pusher flights I have seen, it certainly makes me want to build one!!!

ps : if you edit your link and remove the 'uk.' it will be shown full screen

Thats a nice flying field, the grass is so lush!!..anybody would think it was a turf farm

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
OMG That thing is beautiful in the air, great work Peter and great piloting skills ...thats one of the best pusher flights I have seen, it certainly makes me want to build one!!!
Thanks. I'm still getting the hang of it. ROG takes a bit of getting used to. In the video I think I was still holding in a bit of "Up" to get the rotors spun up when it lifted off. I should have held it in but I think I let the stick back to center which is why the nose dropped just after it had started to climb away nicely I love the noise the 9x4.7 Slow Fly APC prop makes
Quote:
ps : if you edit your link and remove the 'uk.' it will be shown full screen
Ta, done
Quote:
Thats a nice flying field, the grass is so lush!!..anybody would think it was a turf farm
Do you think so ?
PeterO_UK
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Dec 08, 2008, 05:49 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks for that video, makes me want to build one myself. You look to be pretty skilled with that thing. The aircraft looks as though there is absolutly NO vibration at all, and appears stable. I did hear your comment about Expo for the Aileron LOL(Wouldn't know it watching you fly it). I'd have to agree with you about the prop too, sounds really cool. Do you think it would be feasible to scale the design up a bit? In any event great work! Keep the posts coming.
Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:55 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks for that video, makes me want to build one myself. You look to be pretty skilled with that thing.
You can't believe everything you see on YouTube
Quote:
The aircraft looks as though there is absolutly NO vibration at all, and appears stable.
It is stable but needs constant attention. I balanced the blades both for total weight and CofG.
Quote:
I did hear your comment about Expo for the Aileron LOL(Wouldn't know it watching you fly it). I'd have to agree with you about the prop too, sounds really cool. Do you think it would be feasible to scale the design up a bit?
Jochen's designs have already been scaled up. See this thread for Mango's scaled up version of the Micromum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875792
I don't see why a scaled up Minimum would not be possible.
Quote:
In any event great work! Keep the posts coming.
Regards,
-Mike
There is still some "adjustments" to be made. I'm going to adjust the size of the head control yoke to improve the aileron responce at high elevator inputs.
PeterO_UK
Last edited by PeterO_UK; Dec 09, 2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2008, 11:43 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
The aircraft is incredible! Peter you've done an top notch job with yours. I am very impressed with the design. Is there a kit available for it, or in the works? A kit form of that aircraft would sell like crazy Jochen! In any event I must have one. I've got a few ideas for it as well.(Ok here's one of the ideas: replace the profile pilot with a profile version of "Little Nellie", I know, I know, spot on right? a sport scale Minimum ) I have read everything I can in the forums about it, and intend to build one(Or make some trades for one). You guys have shown some incredible craftsmanship. So what's the going rate to build one for me?LOL
Jochen I noticed one of your posts mentions the aircraft is only suitable for electric due to the vibrations of a nitro. Oh well, I still want one. I like the scaled up version of the Micronum, but I prefer the tri-cycle gear version of the Minimum. There seems to be several versions, and I'm still trying to learn the differences so I can speak somewhat intelligently about them, forgive my ignorance for now please.
The build threads are very motivational and informative! Keep up the great work guys.
Regards,
-Mike
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:27 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
Quote:
The aircraft is incredible! Peter you've done an top notch job with yours.
With a lot of advice from Jochen along the way!
Quote:
I am very impressed with the design. Is there a kit available for it, or in the works? A kit form of that aircraft would sell like crazy Jochen! In any event I must have one. I've got a few ideas for it as well.(Ok here's one of the ideas: replace the profile pilot with a profile version of "Little Nellie", I know, I know, spot on right? a sport scale Minimum )
You arn't the only one thinking along those lines
Quote:
I have read everything I can in the forums about it, and intend to build one(Or make some trades for one). You guys have shown some incredible craftsmanship. So what's the going rate to build one for me?LOL
Don't be so lazy You'll enjoy building one and flying it will be even more fun knowing that you can replace any bit that you might break without having to wait for replacement parts to arrive. There isn't anything difficult in the build (see my build log)
PeterO_UK
Old Dec 10, 2008, 08:58 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Ok you got me Peter, fair enough on the Lazy bit.LOL I should have a go at building one for myself. I have limited experience with electric models, I still have a hard time thinking "electric" as opposed to nitro or gas. I only have 4 electric aircraft currently, and I'm not that well versed in figuring out what motors are compatible for a given amount of thrust.
-All that to ask this; I have an AXI2212/26 brushless motor/esc setup that is not being used, would this be a suitable power setup for a Minimum?
-I was also wondering if the headplate for the PT 25 available from Flying Balsa would be suitable?
http://www.flyingbalsa.com/Flying_Ba...on_II_Head_Kit
-They also offer blades as well for that head setup, I wonder if that setup with my motor setup would be close, or at least scaleable for use with a "Minimum" based aircraft?
Thanks for the inspiring(if not encouraging) words to help motivate me. I'm feelin the tough love man.
Thanks,
-Mike
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:02 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Just a thought,
I was thinking since you guys have done all the leg work as far as the Angles, and dangles are concerned I might give it a shot to scale something for the head and blades in the above post. The worst I can do is splinter some blades on the field right?
-Mike
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Here are a couple of sources for Carbon fiber tube I found while getting ready to start my Minimum build:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/carbonfiber.htm

This second link has tubes,tape,cloth epoxies, and more:
http://www.cstsales.com/index.html

If anyone has a materials resource listing I would appreciate it. Thanks guys,
-Mike
Last edited by Boneswamped; Dec 11, 2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Add more related info
Old Dec 11, 2008, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
Quote:
-All that to ask this; I have an AXI2212/26 brushless motor/esc setup that is not being used, would this be a suitable power setup for a Minimum?
It looks to be about the right size, The Kv figure is a little bit lower than the Hacker I'm using which has Kv=1022.
Quote:
-I was also wondering if the headplate for the PT 25 available from Flying Balsa would be suitable?
http://www.flyingbalsa.com/Flying_Ba...on_II_Head_Kit
Jocken's head design is really easy to make. The only slightly tricky bit is getting the bearings aligned as you glue them into the triangular top and bottom pieces.
Quote:
-They also offer blades as well for that head setup, I wonder if that setup with my motor setup would be close, or at least scaleable for use with a "Minimum" based aircraft?
Thanks for the inspiring(if not encouraging) words to help motivate me. I'm feelin the tough love man.
Thanks,
-Mike
I'm trying to encourage you not to take the easy route of buying in bits that you can easily make for yourself. If you build it as per Jochen's plans it will fly well. If you change anything about the design that might not be the case anymore.

Stick with a known good design to start with.
Learn to fly it.
Then start to make alterations to the model and see how they change the flying characteristics.

PeterO_UK
Last edited by PeterO_UK; Dec 11, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,194 Posts
One thing that has stopped me from building one , is having to try and order gf board ( for head) from someone here in the USA. ( I haven't found any with the right thickness .5mm) I think 1/64" might be about right?
I have seen links to web sites out of the country were you seem to have to order more then you would ever use in a life time.
And with shipping pay way to much money IMO. I think you might just buy a complete head setup .For the PT gyro?
Let us all know what you find that works.
DanT
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
One thing that has stopped me from building one , is having to try and order gf board ( for head) from someone here in the USA. ( I haven't found any with the right thickness .5mm) I think 1/64" might be about right?
I have seen links to web sites out of the country were you seem to have to order more then you would ever use in a life time.
http://www.flugmodellbau.de/index.ph...re-sheets.html
Glass fibre sheet 300x135x0,5mm
(Thats 11.8" x 5.3" x 0.02" )
Hardly "more then you would ever use in a life time."

What is it with Americans and ordering stuff from outside the US ?
I ordered blades from US, gf sheet from Germany, glue from Belgium to build my Minimum.

Just get the bits and get on with it building it Dan

PeterO_UK
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:55 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
I will follow your advice about sticking to the plan Peter(at least for the first one). I've resolved to get on with the Bits and pieces ordering. I will most likely order a motor more suited as well, I'd hate to build it and be underpowered.
Just wanted to thank Jochen and Peter for this thread that got me motivated to build one of these.
Thanks guys,
-Mike
Old Dec 11, 2008, 02:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
Quote:
I will follow your advice about sticking to the plan Peter(at least for the first one).
It's only the advice I was given when I first asked about autogyros.
Quote:
I've resolved to get on with the Bits and pieces ordering. I will most likely order a motor more suited as well, I'd hate to build it and be underpowered.
I don't think it will be under powered with your motor. I commented on the video (in a bit that was cut from the version I published) that it was flying around on half throttle so a slower motor will just need a bit more throttle stick that's all. I doubt I'll ever use much more than than half throttle anyway.
PeterO_UK
Old Dec 11, 2008, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Dan,

read post #25 to #31 in the Nanomum thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857363). This may help.

Mike,

with an APC 9x6" slow fly prop, the AXI 2212/26 should be alright, judging from the data sheet.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK