HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:20 PM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,449 Posts
DanT,
gf is Glas Fibre. Search in yr. region for circuit board material without the copper-layer.
Stephan
StephanB is offline Find More Posts by StephanB
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2008, 03:32 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,427 Posts
A quick question for Jochen.
Is the v4 (2blade head) version any different to fly compared with the v2 (3blade head).
Would it be practical to use the same fuselage on either head, with 2 different set-ups on the Tx to adjust the neutral (tilt) angle and throws etc?
Reason I'm asking is that tomorrow night I need to decide which one I'm building before I start the main fuselage drilling and glueing!

And another thing if I may...whilst I'm in the chair
How are you balancing the completed head/blades?

Tail glueing as I speak.

Regards

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Last edited by GeeW; Nov 09, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2008, 05:30 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Gordon,

yes, it is. Two-bladers have a higher following rate than three-bladers and are much more difficult to control. If you have no previous experience with gyros, start with the v2.

For balancing, I put my rotors on a horizontal axle and wait until the rotor movement ceases. The top blade now is the lightest blade and I stick a strip of some textile sticky tape to this blade, big enough to make it move downwards. Then I cut pieces off the tape, until one of the other blades is either pointing straight upwards or straight downwards. This means that two blades are balanced and the third blade is either lighter than the other blades (pointing upwards) or heavier (pointing downwards). If the third blade is lighter, add some tape to its end, and then cut it down until the rotor is balanced, if it's heavier, add equal pieces of tape to the two other blades and cut that down by equal amounts. I consider a rotor balanced when, from a stopped postition, the rotor will move slowly to its rest position, without swinging back.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:11 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,456 Posts
My 2ps worth on blade balancing.....

Before I cover the blades I weigh them and add laquer to the lightest blades to get them all to the same weight.

Then I line up all three blades and lay them across a tube on a flat surface. I then position each blade so they are all balancing level. I then sand off laquer / add laquer to move the CofG of the blades until they are all balancing at the same point.

I carefully cut out the covering to ensure each blade has the same amount added. Post covering "trimming" is carried out as described by Jochen.

This only works if the mounting plates have been made exactly right and the blades are all mounted at the same radius.

PeterO_UK
PeterO_UK is online now Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:12 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW
A quick question for Jochen.
Tail glueing as I speak.
Pictures / Build Log ?
PeterO_UK
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:03 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,427 Posts
Peter
I'll sling the odd image in your build thread if I may?

Jochen
I've been flying a 1/2A PT Gyro for a couple of years so not a complete Autogyro Novice.....

Regards

Gordon
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:50 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Gordon,

ok. But remember, flying the three-bladed Minimum is fun, flying the two-bladed version is hard work.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Nov 10, 2008, 05:22 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,427 Posts
Jochen
Your phrase "But remember, flying the three-bladed Minimum is fun, flying the two-bladed version is hard work" answered my basic question in one
V2 it is and maybe a 2 blade head later.

Regards
Gordon
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,456 Posts
I can confirm that flying the V2 is fun
PeterO_UK
Old Dec 06, 2008, 11:16 AM
Joined Jun 2008
3 Posts
Dear Jochen:

Thanks so much for posting your design. This autogyro is exactly the configuration I wanted...pusher prop, tripod look. I'm gonna try to build one these but flying it will be another story.

-NYC BOBBY
NYCBobby is offline Find More Posts by NYCBobby
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:28 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,456 Posts
Video of mine flying yesterday at
http://www.peteronion.org.uk/video/MinimumSecond.mpeg
(Right click the link to down load the file, then open it with windows media player).
PeterO_UK
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:57 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,703 Posts
I was looking forward to that..but I cant get it to play?
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Dec 08, 2008, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
Works fine for me
Did you follow the instructions ? FOr some reason Windows seems to think it is a QuickTime video file (which it isn't). If you down load the file and then explicitley open it with windows media player it should work OK.
PeterO_UK
Old Dec 08, 2008, 09:27 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
I have really enjoyed reading your posts about the development and flying of this model. Great show! Keep the posts coming. I have a .60 size O.S. laying around that is dying to go into a larger version of your design. Not sure what the scale would need to be to accomplish this, but maybee some of you smart guys would be willing to help scale the plan for a project of this nature. I'm always impressed with the smaller aircraft, but I prefer the big stuff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2008, 03:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
MinimumSecond.mpeg (3 min 13 sec)

PeterO_UK
Last edited by PeterO_UK; Dec 08, 2008 at 03:21 PM.