Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Hi chris,

No problem asking, the ready to fly weight is 493g, I can't take any credit for the model, I just followed Jochens plans/instructions to the letter. The hang angle is 5 degrees, I just draw a line at 5 degrees on a cupboard door in my workshop (not the kitchen) stand back a couple of feet and hold the model at the top of the mast and compare to the line, adjust as necessary. The blades are held at a negative angle by the balsa packers, they are 40mm wide and 3mm tapering to 1mm, you will have to do the sums!!!! Keep us informed and good luck.

Mick.
boomerang is offline Find More Posts by boomerang
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 05:52 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
Today I was able to test fly my two blade Minimum. I was most surprised with the results and must admit that I did not expect it to be all plain sailing, but it was Just about perfect. I had two flights of this new model with it flying straight out of the hand and into circuits with out it jumping around as if it been flying for years, The second flight on video even with a touch and go. I was going to have a third flight but got the red and black mixed up and cooked the speedy [ you never forget the smell of a frittered ESC ].The Weight including lipo and roters came in at 456 grams with a hang of 20 deg.I know that is far more than recommended bit it is very stable as the video shows.
Happy Landings
Chris.............
Two Blade Minimum RC Autogyro Test Flight (6 min 38 sec)
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old May 28, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Hi Chris,

Well done, it does look very stable and a great touch and go.

Mick.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
G' Day Mick
I think that the 20 deg of hang make it very stable ,compared with my previous two blade job that was all over the place.I even managed to fly it the length of the strip 'hands off'
Happy Landings
Chris.......
Old May 29, 2012, 02:19 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,797 Posts
Chris,
Excellent stuff! nothing to it, I think 2 blades is just as easy to fly as 3 blades. I would even stick my neck out and say ROG's are easier.
As for balancing 2 blades it has got to be a little more accurate. Aerobalsa's are generally close, its us who hack at wood who have the imbalance issues!

Thanks for the video

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old May 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
san jose CA
Joined Oct 2004
64 Posts
Chris,

Good job on your 2 blade version of the Minimum!

I remember Jochen saying that flying the 3 blade Minimum was fun
and flying the 2 blade was work. It looks from the video that you
have made flying the 2 blade fun too!

Would your greater hang angle have changed work to fun?

Congratulations
John
shoersa is offline Find More Posts by shoersa
Old May 30, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
Thanks guys Yes I also remember that quote from Jochen and must admit that I was put of by it, but intrigued at the same time. I do believe that the hang has a lot to do with the performance of this model .But as can be seen from the video,it was very stable from the start [minimal trim change].This was so different from my previous attempts where the model was trying to flip it's self onto its back [and succeeding most of the time].I can honestly say that this two blade version is as easy to fly as it's three blade brothers.As yet I have not tried an ROG but I can't see a problem.Now for the next project.
Happy Landings ..
Chris..........
Last edited by britinoz; Jun 04, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Finally managed some video, a bit dodgy with a new camera and a new cameraman. I will try for a better attempt soon,

Mick

Minimum Autogyro RC 2 Blade.wmv (1 min 42 sec)
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
Good one Mick
I think that both our models fly in a very similar way. I have now fitted the forth wheel to help with ROG. The only difference that I can see between my 3b & 2b models is that I need more power with the 2b & I think that the speed of the blades'' looks'' slower [but I could be wrong]. I am using'' home grown'' ,flat bottom jobs.
Happy Landings
Chris...........
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Hi Chris,

I know what you mean, I am also convinced the head speed is slower, it will also hover in less wind than the 3 blader. I changed the motor to give more power as you say the 2 blader does like plenty of thrust. I always ROG and I have never had a problem with the stock 3 wheel set up.
Mick.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
Mick
As I hand launch most of the time,I think that the 2b also spins up quicker.Now that is some thing that I would not have believed prior to flying this model,especially as I am not using AB blades. And I agree with it hovering at a lower speed.
Chris..........
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Hi,

Better weather today, I have stuck the camcorder to a helmet to help following the model, I took a bit of stick from my flying mates. See if you can spot the Hare running across the field. I managed a few loops and a bit of hovering.

Mick.
rc Autogyro 2 Blade with loops. (5 min 38 sec)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:21 PM
san jose CA
Joined Oct 2004
64 Posts
Great video! Looks very controllable & maneuverable.
How does it feel(flying) compared to the 3 blade Minimum?
Congratulations.

John
shoersa is offline Find More Posts by shoersa
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
Great work Mick.
This is a very well designed model that you and I both know is very easy to handle.I think that you are running a more powerfull motor than I ,as can be seen when you get onto the power
.Loops an a bunny,what more can you ask?................
Happy Hovering
Chris...........
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Hi John,

As Chris says these Auto's are very stable and well designed, the 2 blader is now my favourate simply because she will hover in less wind and the loops are perfectly round with no corkscrewing that you get with the 3blade. Take offs and landings are all very similar as is the flying around.

Mick.