HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:40 PM
Tannenzäpfle-Terminator
Baden-Baden, Germany
Joined Dec 2008
436 Posts
Hello..............

The flex plate Per uses has a stopping-plate below the flex-plate. The blade can move up, but not down. The minimum head is symmetrical, the blade can move up and down.............

Per´s head has got assymmetrical stiffness ( one side: flex-plate only, other side: flex plate plus stopping-plate ), and Jochens Minimum head has a symmetrical stiffness: both sides flex-plate only.

This could be an important difference, but thats only my theoretical five pence..........

Bye
Mike
Hephaistos is offline Find More Posts by Hephaistos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:30 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Per, Mike,

actually, the Minimum hinge is not 'symmetrical'. The lower hub and the counterplates below the inner blade ends have vertical edges where they join each other, while the edge of the upper hub is leaning some 30° inwards, to allow free upwards flapping of the blades.

Per, I'd sand a 30° bevel to your upper hub where the hinge is, to allow that flapping with your PT hub too. Otherwise things look pretty identical.

The rotor tilt angle you are using now seems to be the same as on my Minimum, rotor perpendicular to the rotor mast. Did you use more back tilt in your earlier flight tests?

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenK
Per, Mike,
actually, the Minimum hinge is not 'symmetrical'. The lower hub and the counterplates below the inner blade ends have vertical edges where they join each other, while the edge of the upper hub is leaning some 30° inwards, to allow free upwards flapping of the blades.

PeterO_UK
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:38 PM
Mölnlycke, Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
Thanks to you all three.

I will do the modifications you suggest Jochen! On the first flight I had approx. 5-6 degrees more back tilt, and on the second something like 3-4 degrees.

Unfortunally I'm ill right now so next test could take som weeks, but I will report
/Per
seipean is offline Find More Posts by seipean
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:11 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Per,

get well soon.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old May 27, 2011, 04:11 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,866 Posts
Just bumping this back up to the top so that its not forgotten. New readers may not have seen the hard work and effort Jochen put in to model autogyros. A great design!
Maybe one day a few of us could have a go at a Minimum?

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old May 28, 2011, 01:47 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,783 Posts
Good job Rich
I have two of these fantastick machines .No 1 has well over 100 flights.
Chris.........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old May 28, 2011, 02:19 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
389 Posts
Hi Rich

I was trawling through some threads only a few days ago and was really impressed by Peter O's version of this with rudder, he flies it really well....so I've already got this on my list to build. If I'd started this three weeks ago when the wind started to blow here Id have got one built, because I've hardly been able to do any flying

Just hope it stops by June 18th

Chris, do you have any pictures of yours?

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Last edited by Ricardo1500; May 28, 2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old May 28, 2011, 04:57 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,866 Posts
I reckon 4 weeks now we have had wind!!..hope its all blown out for the fly-in.
We ought to have a 'multi Minimum build' I think?
I have seen Peter's version fly a couple of times and he has it set up perfectly, the rudder works really well too.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old May 28, 2011, 06:33 PM
san jose CA
Joined Oct 2004
69 Posts
Just had my 20th flight on my wooden version of Jochen's Minimum on 27 May 2011. Great design from a great designer! Am enjoying it more and more as I get more flights on it.
shoersa is offline Find More Posts by shoersa
Old May 29, 2011, 06:41 AM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
I have been wanting to build a gyro for years and this spell of bad weather has had me looking at the forum again. This model could be a great beginners Gyro, I have had plenty of conventional type flying experience. I think the 2 blade head looks better but I believe the 3 blade head is easier.
boomerang is offline Find More Posts by boomerang
Old May 30, 2011, 02:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,783 Posts
G'Day Booma. This model is a great trainer and cheap /simple to build. I have had many hours playing with these models, both three and two blade versions.I would not advise the two blade model for training as it's a bit of a hand full.
Ricardo As it so happens I do have a few pics of this model ,but I don't want to bore everyone with them so here are a couple to let you see .And if you want the videos go have a look at my Blog
Old May 30, 2011, 02:37 PM
Finland
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Minimum...

Hello Britnoz!

Thank you for great pictures of Minumum!

I newer tested or build Minimum but i have build several gyros like Micromum ( Aluminium version with zero of CF...) and some tractor models.

I must build that great Minimum if i just can get and order those blades.

I have 4 pc. of Aerobalsa 42cm*3.81cm blades but i think they are suitable only for Micromum model.

I will make an order for blades if Aerobalsa can offer them.

I like very much those Micromum and Minimum autogyro models.

I also build succesfully those Jochens Nanomum models and i never forget His great and nice comments for we who want to know more and still dont get it right 8-)

Best regards from Finland

Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
G'Day Booma. This model is a great trainer and cheap /simple to build. I have had many hours playing with these models, both three and two blade versions.I would not advise the two blade model for training as it's a bit of a hand full.
Ricardo As it so happens I do have a few pics of this model ,but I don't want to bore everyone with them so here are a couple to let you see .And if you want the videos go have a look at my Blog
Autorotator is offline Find More Posts by Autorotator
Old May 31, 2011, 03:47 AM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Thanks Britinoz,

I will go with the 3 blade head to help with my first steps into autogyros, I will start acquiring the carbon etc. Any ideas on a suitable motor and controller? thanks Booma!!!
boomerang is offline Find More Posts by boomerang
Old May 31, 2011, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,783 Posts
Booma
I like the Emax 2822 with a HIMODEL 20/25 esc or the HKING ss 30 esc turning an 8 X 3.8 / 9 X 4.7 slow fly ,make sure you use MG BB servos.I like the Tower pro 90 .
Find out where there is an archery club near you as they are always discarding damaged carbon arrows. many different diameters suitable for the Minimum build.
Happy Landings
Chris...........