HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:50 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Never get CA on your fingers when you have baking soda on them. I just did that. Don't recommend it
Why would you have baking soda on the bench anyway? Is it used as a "kicker" for the CA?
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:17 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
Why would you have baking soda on the bench anyway? Is it used as a "kicker" for the CA?

it's a cheap gap filler that goes off like concrete when you use cyanoacrylate on it

brittle and impossible to sand, but easy to get into gaps
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:38 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
it's a cheap gap filler that goes off like concrete when you use cyanoacrylate on it

brittle and impossible to sand, but easy to get into gaps
That's good to know Scruffy.
Do you put the baking soda in the required place and then add the CA?

I like your Avatar! Another Aussie bird.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:00 AM
Flying Saucer Mechanic
Middle River MD
Joined Dec 2000
520 Posts
You can make cheap "kicker" that doesn't melt foam. Alcohol a little water (or alcohol that already has some water in it) enough baking soda to make a saturated solution (it won't disolve in the alcohol only in the the water) pour off the clear solution into a small spray bottle and there you have it. The alcohol helps overspray to evaporate quickly.
Stef is offline Find More Posts by Stef
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:27 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
That's good to know Scruffy.
Do you put the baking soda in the required place and then add the CA?
yep

i usually "spoon" a little bit in the vicinity with a #11 blade, massage it in the gap with my finger and the drop thin c.a. at one end and let it roll down the join

don't touch the bicarb or it will wick onto your glue

and you'll be picking it off your fingers for ages if you are silly enough to "check if it's gone off yet"

Quote:
I like your Avatar! Another Aussie bird.
i took the avatar pic on my balcony; they are fairly regular visitors
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:19 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,020 Posts
scruffy1 has it right. That is exactly what I was doing. Had baking soda on my finger and touched some still wet CA. Burned me like crazy too :-(
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:12 PM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
scruffy1 has it right. That is exactly what I was doing. Had baking soda on my finger and touched some still wet CA. Burned me like crazy too :-(
yep, c.a. going off is exothermic - hence the wisp of vapour it often produces
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:39 AM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
hence that burning feeling when youve got your arm half way to china in a glider and a bit gets through to your fingers. ive put blood, tears and flesh into that plane
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:37 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,836 Posts
Keep in mind that if you end up having too much of the baking soda/CYA glue and can't sand it, you can use a dremel to sand it down if you're careful. But watch out for the fumes that come off from the sanding, because that burns your eyes too.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:18 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
yep, c.a. going off is exothermic - hence the wisp of vapour it often produces
I use baking soda too. I wonder if CA vapor is what went wrong with the coating on my eyeglasses.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:27 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
852 Posts
"Get out of my way , I'll fix it"
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
I use baking soda too. I wonder if CA vapor is what went wrong with the coating on my eyeglasses.
Very possible.
If you build scale plastic models, you will notice that using too much CA glue on the clear parts (canopies and windshields) results in a permanent fog on the clear.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
. I wonder if CA vapor is what went wrong with the coating on my eyeglasses.
If I am going to glue more than a few glue joints with CA, I will remove my contacts. Not sure if it is needed, but after seeing on those crime shows how they use CA vapors to pull finger prints from plastic bags and such, I figured it can't hurt as the principles are basically the same....
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:58 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,682 Posts
I was told early on in my model building career to cut with a razor knife by cutting away from your body instead of toward it. I took the guy's word for it after he showed me the 14 stitches in his thigh.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:36 AM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Short version, probably so. Long version: CA vapour/fumes are attracted to moisture/oil and will form a hard film.

This process is used to detect finger prints on items such as styrofoam cups. This is how I saw it demonstrated. The cup is put into a metal cabinet. Also in the cabinet is one of those little hot plate things that keeps your coffee warm. On the is a little metal ashtray. A couple drops of CA, turn on the hot plate. The CA turns into a vapour/fumes and is attracted to the oil of the finger print. it will harden and then can be dusted and photographed.

So, the question I always have is: Who thought of this?: I don't know that, but I can tell you how it was noticed. Car parts coming from Japan were bagged in plastic that was sealed with CA..The heat in the belly of the container ships would vapourise the CA. the Vapours were attracted to the moisture of the Japanese workers finger prints showing a print on the packaging.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Last edited by kwmtrubrit; Jan 05, 2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Corrections and additions