HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
861 Posts
Do not clean your work area until after you get back from flying : it upsets the the balance of the universe and will cause your plane to crash for some reason and need repairs.
xrx1113 is online now Find More Posts by xrx1113
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,372 Posts
Boy isn't that the truth!!!!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:36 PM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,558 Posts
clean the work area???? what is this strange language you are speaking????
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2006
368 Posts
If you do clean your work area, the next time you use it you won't find what you are looking for
earlcbrown is offline Find More Posts by earlcbrown
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlcbrown View Post
If you do clean your work area, the next time you use it you won't find what you are looking for
Yep been down that road, just yesterday actually.

I posted a bunch early in this thread so not sure if I posted this one.....

To keep your tub of sparkle from drying out, spritz a paper towel with alcohol, fold it up and put it on top of the shackle before closing the lid.
I used to use water but it gets a little moldy after a while. Haven't had that issue yet with the alcohol
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:26 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,159 Posts
Sparkle/Shackle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
..............To keep your tub of sparkle from drying out, spritz a paper towel with alcohol, fold it up and put it on top of the shackle before closing the lid.
I...............................................
I'm going to have the temerity to guess you mean "Spackle?

I still use the old fashioned dry powder mix it yourself type. Mainly because I'm old and suitably old fashioned generally.
I find that it sands easier and keeps much longer etc.

Jim,
resisting several possible jokes here.......
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 04, 2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: punctuation.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Yea spackle, silly auto-correct on the iPad.

I use the stuff that comes in a tub that feels empty when you buy it.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:16 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
I have three recommendations for your building . . .

1.Make yourself a “jeweler's apron” out of an old towel. Attach it to your workbench just above where you sit on the underside of the top of the bench using something removable (thumb tacks, velcro, etc.) as occasionally you may want to wash it. When you sit down, pull the towel over your lap and even up on your chest area. A “jeweler's apron“ will catch those little parts, screws, and other things that roll off the bench while you are working. It saves a lot of looking for tiny parts that have rolled somewhere out of sight on the floor. In addition, it will protect your clothes from drips, spills, and dirt.

2.Johnny Carson once did a skit about a slimy television ad pitchman touting “Willie the Stick”, a fabulous kids toy that could do almost everything. It was just a stick though. Well, I present to you “Billy the Block”! For years I have kept on my bench two or three hardwood blocks of different sizes from about 2” x 2” x 4” to about twice that size. One has holes of various sizes drilled into it and a “vee” groove down one side. These are great for situations where you need to raise the item you are working on off the bench a few inches for operations like filing and sanding edges, trimming edges, etc. The holes are handy for a back-up when you are tapping a shaft out of a small gear hub and the like. And the “vee” groove is handy for holding dowels and thin sticks while you sand, file and plane.

3.And the third is to put your CA adhesive in a screw-top jar with some moisture desiccant like a pack of silica gel. The desiccant (moisture absorber) will absorb the moisture from the air in the enclosed jar and keep your CA from hardening. The trigger that starts the CA chemical reaction is moisture. The silica gel can be obtained for free from many packages of products you buy, put there to keep foods crisp and to prevent rust. Should the silica gel become saturated with moisture, just heat it in the oven at slightly over 212 degrees which will drive the moisture out and its as good as new again. I will also add one other thing to do to that bottle of thin CA. Get some hypodermic needles from your doctor, the smaller the hole the better, and snap over the application hole in the CA bottle. You might want to saw off the sharp tip on the needle. Yes, the needle will clog up when not is use, but a very quick heating of the needle tip with a butane cigarette lighter will open it again. These hypodermic needles allow you to apply the CA very precisely.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
Has this thread been re-started? I'm sure I've posted this before but RC Groups isn't showing the little green person next to it

Anyway, best tip I've ever had is to get rid of building pin holes and small dinks/dents in balsa. Just a very tiny drop of water will swell the wood just enough to make them dissappear. A dab from a damp (not wet) cloth has the same effect.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:38 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
.............:

I use the stuff that comes in a tub that feels empty when you buy it.
I gathered that from your earlier post. That's why I replied.

edit: I have just started using my new super beaut hot glue gun. It has an adjustable thermostat for different temp settings. Fantastic!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260885915...84.m1423.l2649
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 05, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2011
10 Posts
Pay attention to what's critical

Your responses are great. I should write them on my wall.

The best tip I ever got was to find out what is critical when building a plane and do whatever it takes to get those things right. They include the alignment of wings and tail feathers, minimizing air gaps at control surface hinge points and making sure that the CG is located precisely where you need it, in relation to the Neutral Point of the airplane. And, make sure you have enough elevator power to get you out of trouble. There's more info on some of this at www.rcaeronauts.com.
RCAERO is offline Find More Posts by RCAERO
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Best building tip I've got is the use of Lego bricks for building jigs. They are guaranteed to be square and can be assembled ito very accurate jigs for setting uo the components of a build, ready to be hit with CA or, my preference, Superphatic.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ego#post276019
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
249 Posts
Ha!
Nice one!

Kids are grown up now, so they won't object...
Just have to find the da*n box.....
Somewhere in garage, im sure .....
mtesa is offline Find More Posts by mtesa
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
How many kids will have a few pieces of lego missing now I wonder? Those injected parts are pretty square. The eye is not as great by a large factor.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Just don't stick them to the balsa by mistake!
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer