HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:23 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,663 Posts
Teflon/Nylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu956 View Post
I was keen on them too Jim, but they were always out of stock when I looked. I ended up getting some teflon tube from ebay on the advice of people on here for using thin CA accurately. Although nothing will glue it, it would do the same job as you mentioned I thought. I figured just put some wraps of masking tape every 1-2cm and it would glue down fine. Let me know if you want to try some and I can send up a metre or 2

Neat idea with the magnets, could have used that one recently
Thanks for the offer 'stu. However, I also have some tube I bought which I think is nylon. It is good, but takes a lot of fuss to get it straight ( or near straight) as it comes coiled. It does the job also, but was not cheap and I have yet to try gluing it. I bought a fair bit of it to maximise the postage cost factor. And then it is hard to obtain piano wire around 1 mm in dia. I now have some in stock however, The HK ones are .8mm and are straight. They are good for models up to about 1500 span max though (I think). I have just ordered another 10 even though they are not in stock. I like to obtain such things well in advance. I use the larger diameter tube above with 1.2 mm diameter wire for my 2 mtr. sailplanes.
The 2.9 mtr sailplane I am designing will have pull-pull rudder and elevator.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:28 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Cool. Have you looked at fishing stainless steel single strand leader for pushrods? I thought it was similar in properties to piano wire, and most tackle shops should be able to order that size in I thought (been a while, but I'm sure I remember seeing that sort of size in the catalogue)
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:04 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
Things I learned today.

1. Cheapo carriage bolts (the zinc ones) sold by Home Depot have a lot more variation in them than I'd realized. I needed four 3/8" bolts to fit in some slots (hidden on the back side, thus the carriage bolt with square flange requirement.) The slots are very close to 9.6mm wide. The square flange on the carriage bolts apparently vary from about 9.5mm to about 9.8mm - of the four I bought, one fits, so back I went to Home Depot, which leads to the second thing I learned today -

2. Sitting on the floor at Home Depot measuring carriage bolts with a caliper will get you some REALLY strange looks, and a visit from the manager.
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:02 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Bsoder,

That's funny, I did similar at Menards, sitting on the floor, to check dimensions.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:44 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Never attempt to measure a power supply rated at 18 amps output with a $3 Centech/Harbor Freight DMM rated @....10 amps.

maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 02, 2011, 08:40 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Never attempt to measure a power supply rated at 18 amps output with a $3 Centech/Harbor Freight DMM rated @....10 amps.

Easy fix...Fix the thing!
Those actually aren't bad meters when used correctly. I keep 2 for spares.

Always keep a spare meter incase this happens and you need a meter fast.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Place short pile carpeting under/in front of your workbench, nothing prevents tiny things from bouncing into unreachable areas better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello
For some time I have searched for an easy pushrod installation in composite fuselages. I prefer piano wire inside tube guides over unsupported carbon rods/tubes. <snip>
Rather than gluing a plastic tube to a carbon fiber tube, I use the finest music wire pushrods I can find, then just slide the wire inside the smallest CF tubes it will fit in. The CF tube becomes the guide.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:22 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Easy fix...Fix the thing!
Those actually aren't bad meters when used correctly. I keep 2 for spares.

Always keep a spare meter incase this happens and you need a meter fast.
-easier to pick up a new one.

-yup, they're not bad at all...I'll snag another on sale for $3. Yeah, I know how to use a meter...total brainphart.

-Yup...that one was the spare. My frontline unit is my ol' trusty Fluke 77/AN.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:19 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Place short pile carpeting under/in front of your workbench, nothing prevents tiny things from bouncing into unreachable areas better.

Rather than gluing a plastic tube to a carbon fiber tube, I use the finest music wire pushrods I can find, then just slide the wire inside the smallest CF tubes it will fit in. The CF tube becomes the guide.
Is there any radio interference this way?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:36 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Why would a steel wire fed through a CF tube cause more interference than a steel wire glued alongside one?

I've never had any glithes, But I'm on 72 MHz too, Isn't it supposed to be less affected by CF than 2.4?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:24 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,663 Posts
[QUOTE=Fly Wheel;18943342]Why would a steel wire fed through a CF tube cause more interference than a steel wire glued alongside one?
QUOTE]

Due to the friction of two conducting materials sliding together.

I've never had any glithes, But I'm on 72 MHz too, Isn't it supposed to be less affected by CF than 2.4?

I don't know which is more vulnerable.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:09 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,183 Posts
i think it is the CF that is the problem...not friction. But then again, I may be wrong (like usual).....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:48 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Why would a steel wire fed through a CF tube cause more interference than a steel wire glued alongside one?

[QUOTE=Jimbello;18945524]
Quote:
QUOTE]

Due to the friction of two conducting materials sliding together.

I don't know which is more vulnerable.

Jim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
i think it is the CF that is the problem...not friction. But then again, I may be wrong (like usual).....
It's actually the two materials being in contact and vibrating against each other that can produce an RF signal. If they are in constant contact or not in contact at all, they won't cause any problems. Generally speaking, any two conductive pieces of material vibrating against each other can produce a radio signal: CF and a piano wire pushrod, or loose nuts and bolts, or a metal control horn and metal clevis, more so in very dry weather.

That being said, I've never seen it happen first hand, and I think that the chances of what weak signal that could be produced in this way actually causing radio interference would be slim. However, in something like a sailplane that is often flying at a long range where you also have some other radio signal limiting factor, like a bundle of servo wires between the radio and receiver, improper receiver antenna orientation, a satellite receiver that isn't working, or a combination of more than one of these, that little bit of signal produced could be enough to mask the little bit of signal that's getting through.

I think this was more of a problem in the past with glo-powered planes where there is a LOT more vibration, and metal parts, and single-frequency radio systems. I would think the chances of it causing a problem in modern systems are pretty remote.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Aug 04, 2011, 06:13 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,663 Posts
Thanks for that clarification MAP.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
72 MHz is the more vulnerable. It uses only one channel (frequency) as apposed to 2.4GHz which either uses two independant frequencys or frequency "hops" changing frequency several times a second.

Tips:

If you think that there is a chance that during cutting or drilling your work will slip, it will. Clamp it better. Along with that, the more damage it can cause when it slips the more likely it will!

When working on your project and you see red stains on it, stop and check your hands. That brand new blade got a hold of you somewhere.

Buy your own box of baking soda, it's great stuff. CA seems to love it so it makes a great filler when things don't line up exactly as they should, as well as making fillets (small ones that is) where you need more strength or surface area.

When using spruce (spars or stringers) quite often the CA doesn't want to "kick" or hold after it does. This is from the sap in the wood. Just lightly sand the spruce then give a light rub with the baking soda. the CA will kick and hold much better.

Don't use the spray on your bottle of kicker, use a syringe or an eyedropper instead, much more control and you don't waste the kicker.

It's easy to build "lightness" in, it's hard to add it later.

Go ahead, try it your way, when it doesn't work (but it might) try it the right way.

Oil painter's pallet knives make great tools for mixing and handling epoxy and filler. you can usually get a packet of several different plastic ones cheap at any art/craft store.

Figure "8" sewn hinges work great! They are simple, cheap, very flexible, and when done right have little to no gap. They are far better than tape which can/will peel off (my poor QFII )
Windrider53 is offline Find More Posts by Windrider53